Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Any Photographers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking into buying a digital camera for my college course in a couple of weeks. I'm interested in a Fujifilm Finepix S9500, and was curious to see if anyone here has any knowledge of digicams and things, and to basically find out if it's any good?

Ta x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This review looks good. http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2072

If you can afford a digital SLR camera though, get one instead.
    Fujis9500.jpg

Looks pro and expensive
    It's not pro or expensive.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    For a little bit more I would go for the Canon EOS 350D. It's an 8MP dSLR.
    What is the course requirement?

You might be able to get a 350D + the kit lens for quite cheap now, because its successor, the 400D has just been announced.

Here's a review of the fuji you mentioned.. dpreview
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Get a DSLR if the money stretches to it, if not a good pocket sized camera can produce good results.
    What are the advantages of going for a digi SLR over this one?
    It's not pro or expensive.
    I would find £350 expensive :yeees:

Firstly, it is a cheaper alternative. You don't need to spend lots of money on developing and buying film. You can choose what photos you want to develop and discard the ones you don't keep.

Also, you can learn how to manipulate photos in photoshop and things too.

I suppose the advantages of a dSLR would be the same as a normal digital camera to 35mm.
    I would find £350 expensive :yeees:

In relation to SLRs it isn't even entry level price, unfortunately.

Larger sensor = better quality for the same number of megapixels.
    Less shutter lag.
    Generally more flexible.

Of course you'd need to balance that out against having to buy lenses, the possibility of sensor dust, and somewhat less portibility.
    Well having weighed up the pros and cons, the Fujifilm seems more of a smarter option - it's a makeup artistry course, not a photography course so it doesn't have to be a 'professional' quality camera. I'm also not the most experience photographer so I think it's a nice place to start.
    The fujifilm is also smaller than an average SLR, which will be clunked to college everyday along with textbooks and A4 Folders, so an SLR with all its lenses isn't suitable really. Maybe I'll progress to a DSLR but for now, methinks I'll go for this one.

It's been interesting reading other peoples experiences/views, so thanks. I've been able to make a decision I was previously skirting around :) Ta x
    You may want to look out instead for a camera that has built in image stabilization. Something like the Canon S3 IS. It could help you if you're trying to take sharp pictures in dark interior conditions.
    Mist wrote:
    You may want to look out instead for a camera that has built in image stabilization. Something like the Canon S3 IS. It could help you if you're trying to take sharp pictures in dark interior conditions.
    Or get a tripod.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I would recommend a tripod. Something like this is cheap and upto the job http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-61-Tripod/dp/B0000WXD0W/ref=sr_11_1/202-5863295-1064636?ie=UTF8
    JsT wrote:
    I would recommend a tripod. Something like this is cheap and upto the job http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-61-Tripod/dp/B0000WXD0W/ref=sr_11_1/202-5863295-1064636?ie=UTF8

oh dear james.
    As it's not a photography course, then that'll do you very well. Much better than a compact style camera. Can give you plenty of control over the image and exposure if you wish it too. It's the sort of camera I'd have if I couldn't afford a full blown SLR kit with interchangable lenses.
    Looked at its spec. Takes AA batteries, which means you shouldn't end up getting caught short if the batteries run out. If you're looking for some decent rechargable AA's, then have a look on ebay for VapexTech.
    Also takes Compact Flash cards (inexpensive, though not as cheap as SD) as well as Fuji's XD format (Fuji cameras biggest bugbear is these cards, which cost more than twice that of SD cards).

I've been impressed with Fuji's digital cameras. And if I wanted a camera like that (often called Bridge cameras, as they're a bridge between compacts and full blown SLR cameras), then for the quality/price/spec/features I'd have the Fuji at the top of my list of cameras to look at.
    I was impressed enough with their compact cameras to buy one for my Mum & Dad at Xmas (instead of a near equivelant Olympus), and have ended up buying another one (ie identical to the one I got my parents) for myself to use for snaps until I get something really nice.
    Thank you Mr Wobble. I bought the Fujifilm finepix camera today, because of what you said - several other people have said the same as you about fuji's so I took the plunge! I just have to read the manual front to back now, coz I'm a total novice when it comes to photography - it's not as simple as 'point and shoot' :lol:

So, thankyou everyone :D
    I expect that there's a "full auto" mode that you can just "point and shoot" with, mind.