Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alarm Clocks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving soon to go to uni, so I'm having a clearout. I'm probably ditching my hi-fi. The tape deck is broken, I don't use the radio (I listen online instead) & I have a variety of other devices that'll play CDs (PC, PS2 portable CD player). I like that it'll hold 3 CDs at a time, but I can live without that, at least for a while.

The one thing I cannot do without is the alarm clock function. I hatehatehate horrible beeping/wailing alarms, & apart from Radio 4 comedy shows don't like the radio. So the fact that I can program it to wake me up with the CD of my choice is damn near essential. It seems a bit silly having a huge hi-fi + speakers just for this one reason.

Trouble is this function only seems to come with big hi-fi systems. Are there any compact CD players with an alarm function? Alternatively, are there any devices where you can program it to play mp3s? Firebox has one but it'll only play 50 seconds of sound, & someone is selling one on ebay but it's designed to hook up to a personal mp3 player, & I'm sure that would drain the battery leaving it like that all night. I'm sure there must be others though, but my searches come up with nothing.

Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably cheap-ish (it's my birthday next week so I won't be paying myself, but I don't wanna push my luck...).

Comments

• Options
    Personally I'd just get a radio alarm clock and be done with it, though I guess if you nip down to Argos or Currys you'd see an alarm clock with a cd player in it. Probably cost you 50 notes though.
  • Options
    Do you have a mobile? Does that have an alarm? Thats what i use.
  • Options
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5130669.htm

That kind of thing? Thats just an example, I know they have a few more as I was flicking through the catalogue looking at alarm clocks the other day.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

I use this as well.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I use this as well.

Ditto. Its fucking annoying too. I've grown to hate my alarm.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Yeah but I want something actually appealing to listen to. As I said - I hate the horrible bleeping/wailing noises you get from alarm clocks - why would it be any different if it was a phone?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5130669.htm

That kind of thing? Thats just an example, I know they have a few more as I was flicking through the catalogue looking at alarm clocks the other day.
    Oooh! Thank you! Yes, something like that. Will have to explore the Argos site a little...
  • Options
    Yeah but I want something actually appealing to listen to. As I said - I hate the horrible bleeping/wailing noises you get from alarm clocks - why would it be any different if it was a phone?

My phone lets me use any ringotnes etc I like as an alarm tone. So I've got an mp3 on it especially for my alarm tone, as I grew to loathe the Samsung 'Tone 4' alarm over the last 3 years.
  • Options

Mine plays whatever song i want to wake up to. Not a normal alarm clock noise.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

And mine. Or I can have the radio if I'm willing to attach the stupid headset thing. Which I never am. What a waste of effort on my way to bed when I'm only going roll over and throw in on the floor anyway!
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Mine does this as well.
  • Options
    I have a Nokia 3310.

I don't need to say anymore do I?
  • Options
    You can compose stuff on there, can't you?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote:
    You can compose stuff on there, can't you?

Well, yes. But it still sounds shit and beep beep beep. It's not even polyphonic.