Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

murder while on drugs, is it murder?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was reading in the paper this morning about this guy who killed someone while apparantly in some kind of psychosis triggered by smoking canabis. The guy was sentenced to manslaughter, not murder because of this 'psychosis'.

what do you guys think? He should be let off with the lower charge because he was on drugs which may have made him not know what he was doing?

or should he be charged with murder anyway - after all, he chose to take the drugs and shouldve known that with drugs there is a chance he could do something irrational?

Personally, I'm not sure but it doesnt sit quite right with me that someone should get a lessened charge (and sentence) because they were on drugs at the time of the incident. the fact that he took drugs doesnt make the victim any less dead. :chin:
I mean, we dont say when a drink driver kills someone, oh well you were drunk so you werent to know what you were doing.....

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It wasn't because he was on drugs that he got a lesser charge, it was because he was mentally ill, and had psychosis.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ok...
    well if that was it, i apologise :blush: but that wasnt how it read to me.

I still ask the same question tho, should someone killing someone while under the influence of drugs get a lesser charge?
  • Options
    Do you have a link to this story, please?

The thing is, if someone's under the influecene of drugs, then they won't really know what they're doing. However, if it's the reasonable average man off the street, then he'd more than likely know what he was doing and what the consequences will be. (if he wasn't under the inluence, that is)
  • Options
    You can't generalise and say all murders under the influence of drugs should be manslaughter (or murder) it depends too much on the individual circumstances.
  • Options
    Did you know that some people have been totally cleared of murder because it has been proven they were jaysleeping... I thought it was quite fucked up...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You have to take responsibility for your actions even if your not sober, being pissed or high isn't an excuse, else people could use it when they get caught drink driving.

This is different though. This bloke had mental health issues.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You have to take responsibility for your actions even if your not sober, being pissed or high isn't an excuse, else people could use it when they get caught drink driving.

Indeed.

NQA is right - you have to look at the person as an individual before deciding that because they were drunk they didn't know what they were doing and therefore being cleared of murder.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    This is different though. This bloke had mental health issues.

I already apologised if i got the meaning of the original article wrong (and sorry Sofie, I didnt find a link to it, I just read it in a newspaper). I wasnt asking should this particular guy be given what sentence, more that the article got me thinking about the question in general.
  • Options
    I think its got to be about more than their sobriety status and probably is.
  • Options
    If they already had a history of violence then it shouldnt make any difference, but if they were normally totally peaceful then I can see it being taken into account as mitigating circumstances.
  • Options
    Plus how would you prove that someone didn't slip them the drugs?
    Or spiked their drink?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Plus how would you prove that someone didn't slip them the drugs?
    Or spiked their drink?

With cannabis?

It's quite clear that the person already had mental problems hightened by their cannabis use, psychosis can make people think all sorts of paranoid delusional beliefs.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    With cannabis?

It's quite clear that the person already had mental problems hightened by their cannabis use, psychosis can make people think all sorts of paranoid delusional beliefs.

Sort yourself out!
    Wasn't talking about this case!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Sort yourself out!

Fuck off.

And in any case, spiking someone's drink will make them eventually go unconscious, not violent.
  • Options
    The law is actually very clear, if you intentionally took a mind-altering substance (such as illicit drugs or alcohol) and then committed a crime whilst on that substance, you will be convicted as if you had not taken that substance. You are deemed culpable for taking the substance in the first place.

the reason why this man was found guilty of the lower crime was because of his mental health issues, something which was arguable exacerbated by his drug use but not caused by his drug use.
  • Options
    i was going to say the same thing.
    you could take drugs then go off and kill somone you hate. :chin:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Fuck off.

And in any case, spiking someone's drink will make them eventually go unconscious, not violent.

hehe Intelligent reply.
    Depends what you spike it with.
    Think before you type.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    hehe Intelligent reply.
    Depends what you spike it with.
    Think before you type.

Why don't you fuck away off. I know what people spike people with. The main drugs are GHB and Rohyphnol, these two drugs are liquid based drugs that make the consumer uncoordinated at first, then make them go unconscious after a while (especially mixed with alcohol) hence the term "date rape drug." These drugs are the easy to spike people with because the victim can't automatically tell if they're spiked and are tastless, another drug is ecstacy which floats on top of liquids because of it's density, yet again, it won't make a person become violent because of it's chemical nauture.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Did you know that some people have been totally cleared of murder because it has been proven they were jaysleeping... I thought it was quite fucked up...

Madness! I suppose you aren't in control of yourself though.

And I thought Jawalking was walking with a joint. :P

Anway, this was in m Local paper... poor chap... but yeah, as Skive said, he has an existing mental condition. The cannabis would have hardly helped it, but it didn't cause it. Still, it was scary to read about in the local paper.

Poor chap. Hopefull he will get some proper care now. This is a wonderful example too of how "Care in the community" doesn't work. So many big old assylums now abbandonned... and people with worrying health issues who should be in them... outside. This guy should have been in care. Then, one would assume this wouldn't happen.

The assylums are interesting to look round though.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Why don't you fuck away off. I know what people spike people with. The main drugs are GHB and Rohyphnol, these two drugs are liquid based drugs that make the consumer uncoordinated at first, then make them go unconscious after a while (especially mixed with alcohol) hence the term "date rape drug." These drugs are the easy to spike people with because the victim can't automatically tell if they're spiked and are tastless, another drug is ecstacy which floats on top of liquids because of it's density, yet again, it won't make a person become violent because of it's chemical nauture.

No, thats what the media thinks people are spiked with, there really is very little evidence for it what so ever. Especially for rohyphnol which hasnt been on the prescription list here for ages.

If you spiked someone with datura (difficult but not perhaps impossible) or methamphetamine (easy) I'd say it would be likely they might get violent.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    If you spiked someone with datura

That's going a bit far! You'd have to really hate someone to do that!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    That's going a bit far! You'd have to really hate someone to do that!

I'm just saying you could probably spike someone into being violent if you really wanted to.

I would say a mix of DIPT and methamphetamine would make most people go a bit wierd.

But thats going quite off topic.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Madness! I suppose you aren't in control of yourself though.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean you can't kill again...

IMO when you kill someone if you are jaywalking or on drugs it should make no dfference at all... you still have kill, so you are a murderer and on top of that what guarantee that it will not happend again... fuck all...
  • Options
    Maybe, but it doesn't mean you can't kill again...

IMO when you kill someone if you are jaywalking or on drugs it should make no dfference at all... you still have kill, so you are a murderer and on top of that what guarantee that it will not happend again... fuck all...

Aye, but anone could kill someone if sleepwalking, if only by accident. So should we lock anyone who sleepwalks away? I think thats a bit far.

I mean, your actions whilst asleep have very little resembalance to what your body is doing if it is sleepwalking. And if you wake up someone who is sleepwalking, they can turn violent and be confused.

Sleepwalking is a difficult thing, but locking people up for it won't help.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye, but anone could kill someone if sleepwalking, if only by accident. So should we lock anyone who sleepwalks away? I think thats a bit far.

I mean, your actions whilst asleep have very little resembalance to what your body is doing if it is sleepwalking. And if you wake up someone who is sleepwalking, they can turn violent and be confused.

Sleepwalking is a difficult thing, but locking people up for it won't help.

Sleepwalkers as are potential murderer as everyone else, but we don't lock everyone, only the ones that do kill, so same can apply here... Lock sleepwalker that kill, drug users that kill, or anyone that kill... quite simple really...
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    No, thats what the media thinks people are spiked with, there really is very little evidence for it what so ever. Especially for rohyphnol which hasnt been on the prescription list here for ages.

If you spiked someone with datura (difficult but not perhaps impossible) or methamphetamine (easy) I'd say it would be likely they might get violent.

What do you mean there's little evidence, I've personally mixed GHB and alcohol and I can say the last thing you want to do is have a fight.

People getting spiked with datura? That'll be the day. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sleepwalkers as are potential murderer as everyone else, but we don't lock everyone, only the ones that do kill, so same can apply here... Lock sleepwalker that kill, drug users that kill, or anyone that kill... quite simple really...

But some of those killers - wern't concious of what the were doing. There is a difference.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What do you mean there's little evidence, I've personally mixed GHB and alcohol and I can say the last thing you want to do is have a fight.

People getting spiked with datura? That'll be the day. :rolleyes:

I meant that there are virtually no proper studies into date rape, and the ones that have looked into it havent found GHB in anywhere near as many cases as the media would make you think.

And of course Rhyophnol isnt liquid based as you suggested.

But then this is really getting off the point.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But some of those killers - wern't concious of what the were doing. There is a difference.

No there isn't... It was their subconcious, which is still part of them, which means that everytime that person is not concious it is potentialy able to kill... So it is still a danger...
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I meant that there are virtually no proper studies into date rape, and the ones that have looked into it havent found GHB in anywhere near as many cases as the media would make you think.
    well what did they find then?