Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hardware conflict?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so the deal is:

When i play my games such as half life 2 or the sims 2 etc. , after a random length of time on them my pc will just restart , no errors no nothing , Just like i hit the reset button.

I looked under system information > conflicts/sharing and ive attatched my result .

Any ideas what could be causing it? is it possible that two things sharing a memory address and getting a conflict ingame and could i change the memory address its using?

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is possible this is casuing a conflict, but the fact it restarts seems a little odd. I have had such conflicts before but never with that result.

Last time a game reset randoml for me, it was my PC had an inadequate PSU... what you running, what wattage? If not check all cards are correctly seated in slots, if they are loose, the PC won't like that lol.

Temps? Not overheating?

Playing with memory conflicts can be dodgey... best check everything else first!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually you might have a point , my dad was on about how my power supply wasnt a very high wattage , its a *has a look* 350W . The new ones are 450 . My graphics card has a power lead onto it for extra power . its 512mb so maybe the extra power causes strain?

Oh and theres no overheating , i ruled that one out already.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd bet on the PSU.
    I'd bet on the PSU.

Word. A 350 running a GFX card that needs extrenal power?

Seriously dude, your asking for it there. :p
    I made a bad anf double posted. Let's also say:

Go for at least a 450 watter.

I have a 480, but need a 500 tbh. But its running fine, so erm, I'll stick it out for now.
    If you've just got the one 6800 GS that it shouldn't be that much of a power issue, but random restarts like that do tend to suggest something in that area could be a problem.

If you choose to upgrade your PSU, just get one that is certified for SLI, they normally offer twin 12 volt rails with 20A across both, more than enough.
    Weak PSU, or overheating. :) Try running a really CPU intensive program for a few hours - no reboot means it'll probably be the PSU isn't able to supply enough power for the CPU and the video card at the same time. Reboots without graphics could still mean a weak PSU, but overheating would be my first thought :).
    i'd bet on the RAM.

If you have more than 2 Dimms in the Ram slots (usually 3 in total). you can get random reboots

here's my old thread on hardwareanalysis.com
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/59368/
    Cheers guys . Im getting a new PSU sometime soon anyway , looks like its gonna be 500W for me then to be sure. Ill read up on the RAM thread soon and see if theres any outcome with that.
    Heres an even bigger shock for you all. I Just Too kthe side off my pc to to check the cards and noticed on the side of the PSU it says Maximum Power Output is 300W!!! Haha. I think i found the problem eh?