Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doubling up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I thought Doubling up on the pill was supposed to stop you having a period, i've been on the pill for 3 years and almost everytime apart from 1 and now i haven't bled but now i've been light bleeding since friday and it's really annoying even if i had a period it only be 4 days not 7!

Comments

• Options
    If you run packs of the pill together you will sometimes get breakthrough building.

Some makes of pill also have dummy pills in the pack, and so you will have a period every month because a certain number of the pills don't have the hormone in.
  • Options
    Pretty scary that.

I always get told pills are the most effective, i'm stickin with condoms bein the most effective out of the two in my mind.

You have no idea how pills work or what they even do, do you.

For the original question, I've tried a couple times to run them together with no success. I asked, they gave me the "everybody is different" spcheal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does't. Just feel lucky its worked before!
  • Options
    Pretty scary that.

Not really, its can be better as you don't have to remember when you're supposed to start and stop taking the pill.

Instead of having 21 hormone pills, you'll have 21 hormone pills and 7 placebos.

Pills are more reliable than condoms as its much harder to take a pill incorrectly. Both are pretty reliable, but its often best to use both.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Some makes of pill also have dummy pills in the pack, and so you will have a period every month because a certain number of the pills don't have the hormone in.
    what?!!!
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    what?!!!

The "7 day break" The 7 pills that aren't like the other 21 pills.

I'm shocked here that Kermits comment has raised so many questions! Even my boyfriend knows what they are :p

Heres a lesson: (dont mind the spelling)

The birth control pill contains hormones that surpresses ovulation. Ovulation is where an egg is released from the overies, it travles down the falopean tubes into the uterous. No egg means nothing for the sperm to fertalize. THe pill also thickens the mucus membrain of the cervis, helping in preventing sperm from reaching the uterous.

Pills come in both 21 and 28 day packets. In both, 21 pills are "active" pills. Containing the hormones. The other 7 pills, as Kermit has said, are "inactive pills." Some of them do contain iron though. The 7 inactive pills are used to help a woman keep track of her daily pills. Some people would rather take on ever day instead of remembering when it has been 7 days from the last day she took her pill.

Birth control pills, if taken correctly every day, are 99.7% effective. On average though, pills are around 95% effective. This takes into consideration the .3% and also the people who forget to take them or take them late.

There are also other pills, such as seasonale for example, pills which advertise mainly for the fact that they reduce your period from average of 12 times a year to 4. which take the 7 day break and get rid of it. It has active pills for 3 months straight.

Running the packs together or doubling up gets rid of the 7 day break, therefore hopefully riding yourself of a period for that month. It does not effect the effectivness of the pill. Though, it doesn't always work.

For green eyes:
    I just found these articles, I havn't read completly thru them, but I think they relate to breakthru bleeding.
    http://www.contraceptiononline.org/contrareport/article01.cfm?art=260

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/famplan/clinicguide/menstrual_suppression.doc
  • Options
    some pills have the 7 days of pills without the hormone in - and the girls taking them should know this :eek2:

Its quite deep somewhat confusing stuff but biology has taught me this-

The pill has dummy pills in so that they can have their period - instead of just not taking it for 7 days so they take it every morning and dont have a break after which they may forget to start to take it again. This is perfectly normal and doesnt stop the pill from working. The combined pill contains a synthetic form of oestrogen and progesterone. Ovulation does not occur until you stop taking the hormaonal pills. It works by stopping the production of FSH and LH (FSH stimulates development of egg and LH stimulates it to ovulate). this means that there are no eggs around to be fertilised and thereofore to get pregnent

hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Well, I know all that about the pill and the dummies.

But what I do not know much about is, the actual harm, or harmlessness (for that matter?) of supressing your periods. It's here for a purpose, and doubling up 2 kind of packages of the pill to cancel them out completely sounds like...
    I dunno... "doing something to prevent something how nature wanted it."

I might sound like a puristic caveman, but.... well.

/edit: actually I just read that they tried this complete period stop already several years ago, and the outcome was devastating. Let me read more about it...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Pills are more reliable than condoms as its much harder to take a pill incorrectly. Both are pretty reliable, but its often best to use both.

Yeah, i'd agree with that, my girlfriend is pretty good at taking her pill (don't think she's ever forgotten) but i'm so crap with condoms it's untrue and things often end with them breaking.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Yeah, i'd agree with that, my girlfriend is pretty good at taking her pill (don't think she's ever forgotten) but i'm so crap with condoms it's untrue and things often end with them breaking.

... but of course, the pill doesn't help protect against STDs which is why for those who have numerous sexual partners, still using a condom is paramount.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    ... but of course, the pill doesn't help protect against STDs which is why for those who have numerous sexual partners, still using a condom is paramount.

:yes:

I'm lucky (?) that I only have one partner and we've bith been checked.
  • Options
    I just read on pille.com (it's in german), that you can take it non-stop to leave it out for 2-4 months if you have hard pain.

A friend of mine said tho, that his g/f wanted to postpone it, for holiday and her doctor (gyn) said it was really harmfully, i.e. infection and ovarycancer.
    So I asked another girl, if she can ask her gynaecologist next time she visits him, and she said, "it is harmfully, I did it myself already."

I wouldn't toy with it.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I just read on pille.com (it's in german), that you can take it non-stop to leave it out for 2-4 months if you have hard pain.

A friend of mine said tho, that his g/f wanted to postpone it, for holiday and her doctor (gyn) said it was really harmfully, i.e. infection and ovarycancer.
    So I asked another girl, if she can ask her gynaecologist next time she visits him, and she said, "it is harmfully, I did it myself already."

I wouldn't toy with it.

People on the pill still have periods. The 7 day break between pill packs 'wakes up' your ovaries and you have your normal period.

As for running them together - is strongly unadvised to run too many packs together. Running two together is relatively unharmful - I've done this many times. I will not get cancer because of this and I've never got an infection due to it. It is harmful probably to repeatedly do it though - I personally get break through bleeding if I try to run 3 packs together but 2 is pretty harmless. Different docs will say different to different girls because funnily enough, we're all different. Because the pill works fine with me and I've never had any problems, don't smoke either - I'm safe to run together. The girls you asked, their docs may have had good reason to recommend they don't - it might be the type of pill they use or something else more personal to those girls.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:

I wouldn't toy with it.

Thats a load of crap. It is fine to run packs together. The reccomended max is three, however for medical reasons, lots of women run more than that together, with the consent and reccomendation from their gyno. I've also discussed the option with mine before. There are a couple different brands of pills that take the concept of running packs together to supress periods for several months and use it. Search seasonale.
  • Options
    The 7 day break between pill packs 'wakes up' your ovaries and you have your normal period.

:no: Actually it's a withdrawal bleed your body creates because it's not getting the hormones it's been used to for the past 3 weeks.

If you are on the pill, you will not get a "normal" non contraceptive using period until you stop taking it (at least this is what two nurses, a doctor and all the contraceptive help books have told me :))
  • Options
    You don't get a "normal" period unless you stop taking the pills for a prolonger period of time, the "period" you get as a normal pill cycle is simply your body's reaction to the removal of the hormones.

There is no medical need for this, it has been done simply to make women feel "normal" by continuing to have a regular bleed.

The wife used to run 4 or 5 packs together, and it did her no harm.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Yep I have run several packs together when I just couldn't be arsed having a period for a while :o And it doesn't do any harm.

Yeah I have done this a few times too, I spoke to my doctor about it at the time (as I needed new packs earlier than I should have) and she was fine about it.
  • Options
    running packs of pills back to back doesnt always stop periods. mine always came regardless usually, or id at least get spotting :(
  • Options
    running packs of pills back to back doesnt always stop periods. mine always came regardless usually, or id at least get spotting :(

Same here and it pisses me off. I"m on the triphaysic ones or whichever and its just pointless. I guess my body thinks with the hormones dropping after the 3rd week it can just start to bleed.

The second time I tried it I bleed for a month straight :\
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thats a load of crap. It is fine to run packs together. The reccomended max is three, however for medical reasons, lots of women run more than that together, with the consent and reccomendation from their gyno. I've also discussed the option with mine before. There are a couple different brands of pills that take the concept of running packs together to supress periods for several months and use it. Search seasonale.

Ok, maybe I misunderstand the term "runnig packs together".
    I was talking about not making the 7 days break and already starting another pack after the first one is empty. And of course, if you skip the 7 days break there won't be KACHING, instant infection and end-time cancer states.

If two different doctors told me - actually WARNED insistently - it's unhealthy to completely block out the period, I tend to believe them. Sue me, if they told crap.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I've run 3 packs together once, as first was my anniversary, and 2 was my school ball (prom/formal/whatever).

The first period back was a little more painful than usual, but no heavier, no spotting inbetween or anything.

I hate periods :p
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    This is all rubbish, sorry. Several doctors have told me that it's fine to not bother with a pill free week for a few months, and I've done it, a lot, and nothing bad has ever happened.

Agreed completely. And I'm on my implant now, and I haven't had a proper period since having it in in April. I've had the occasional spotting, and there was a while I bled for a couple of weeks, but it was all first few months side effects.

I will probably not be having proper periods now til April 2009. And since this option is avalible, don't you think they'd of withdrawn it when women stopped having periods?!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Ok, maybe I misunderstand the term "runnig packs together".
    I was talking about not making the 7 days break and already starting another pack after the first one is empty. And of course, if you skip the 7 days break there won't be KACHING, instant infection and end-time cancer states.

If two different doctors told me - actually WARNED insistently - it's unhealthy to completely block out the period, I tend to believe them. Sue me, if they told crap.
    that information is probably out-of-date just like when people used to say that you shouldn't stay on the pill for long durations and you should stop taking it to give your body a "break". doctors now say its perfectly healthy to stay on the pill up until the menopause.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like the pill must seriously fuck with your bodies though, when I think of my girl being on the pill i don't like the thought of it messing with her hormones, even though it's not my decision.
    some people react badly to the pill. i came off it and then went back on it after a few months and i was all over the place, crying, mood swings, bad skin. but i'm now on my 2nd month and i didn't get any period pain and only one day of pmt. so i think its worth it :)
  • Options
    i had to take the pill back to back for a year

it was ace :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    2 days?!?!?!?!

Damn you. Even on the pill I'm still 6 days :(
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    some people react badly to the pill.

Haha, yeah, me. I just can't handle it, that's why they shoved the tube in my arm. I prefer it so much :heart:
  • Options
    If you're gonna stay on it for a long-time, medical opinion seems to be that IUDs are a better bet now, especially the Mirena, as the amount of hormone required is much lower.