Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Government to identify 'Potential Trouble Makers Of The Future'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5301824.stm

This story is a bit scary really.

"Tomorrow's potential troublemakers can be identified even before they are born, Tony Blair has suggested.

Mr Blair said it was possible to spot the families whose circumstances made it likely their children would grow up to be a "menace to society".

He said teenage mums and problem families could be forced to take help to head off difficulties"

Seems we are indeed moving ever closer to a big brother state. Whats next? Prosecuting people before they've had a chance to commit a crime?

Worrying times we live in.

And is this further evidence of this governments contempt and seeming hatred for the young, on which it seems to blame most of this countrys problems?

* Why don't my links ever work?

Comments

• Options
    Bastards.
  • Options
    i'd fit that then i guess. but i'm anything but a trouble maker!;)
    tbh although i don't think that a 'nanny state' is such a bad idea: it could have saved a lot of harm i'm sure for a number of families in the past, my family inc. if people are forced to take help then its not just at the parents decision to seek help. parents who abuse their children and therefore set their kids up for trouble in later life now would obviously oppose help. so if the goverment force peole to seek help, it HAS to be beneficial imo. but then of course we start with how help is not ever avaliable... etc...
  • Options
    Sound more like keeping tabs on people they think will become trouble makers rather than addressing any of the social problems that drive people to crime in the first place. They're basically saying they're gonna send social services round to check up on everyone who fits their profile. Oh well, I guess it's in line with their other policies of being able to investigate people with no evidence.
  • Options
    Adolph Hitler would be proud... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i'd fit that then i guess. but i'm anything but a trouble maker!;)

Which makes this pathetic. I'm sure there are many people out there like you who fit that but aren't trouble makers.
  • Options
    He's right, you can tell the people who are most likely to be criminals and behave anti-socially. They're the people who are poor, ill-educated and socially excluded.

Helping these people should be a top priority, as you only get people to respect the community they live in if they are made to feel part of that community. Include people in society and they stop acting outside of, and against, society.

Sadly Blair's solution seems to be exclude these people from society even further. Because that will work.
  • Options
    Seems a little too reactive rather than proactive. They're getting closer to the source, but they're not quite there yet. Principally, not that bad an idea but I can't imagine the implementation being far-reaching, sustained or properly maintained.
  • Options
    See, what this really is about is....

Mr Blair is trying to introduce this varying laws so that he can piss off as many people as possible to such an extent that they will decide to move out of the UK and go somewhere else.

It's population control. Simple as!! :D
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Which makes this pathetic. I'm sure there are many people out there like you who fit that but aren't trouble makers.
    :yes: but proper help can never hurt imo
    my family DEFINITLY needed help and intervention. but okay i've not turned out to be a trouble maker / any problem to society.
  • Options
    It is sad to see that the government is continuing to widen the big brother state but what they're saying is likely to be true.
    The traditional thugs are those who's parents are thugs them selves. It's a cycle. Just like my estate. My generation are now like their parents and their babeis will turn out like them. I just hope some of the kids do actually see there is life to the shite whole we live on, like I did. :p
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It is sad to see that the government is continuing to widen the big brother state but what they're saying is likely to be true.

Oh definitely.

The underclass breeds the underclass, and putting them in prison won't change that. Helping them get out of the hole will.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh definitely.

The underclass breeds the underclass, and putting them in prison won't change that. Helping them get out of the hole will.
    And how do we help them out?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    And how do we help them out?

Education, access to resources, ambition. The usual suspects.

Children from poorer families are at an immediate disadvantage, as their parents are unable to teach them pre-school. They're already at 1-2 years disadvantage by the time they're 5, and its a gap they can't close. Sent to the sink schools because they don't live in a good catchment area, they don't perform at school, don't get any qualifications, and can't get a decent job.

You're not going to respect and love the society that gives you a till monkey job at Tesco's as the pinnacle of your career.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Education, access to resources, ambition. The usual suspects.

Children from poorer families are at an immediate disadvantage, as their parents are unable to teach them pre-school. They're already at 1-2 years disadvantage by the time they're 5, and its a gap they can't close. Sent to the sink schools because they don't live in a good catchment area, they don't perform at school, don't get any qualifications, and can't get a decent job.
    I've gone through exactly this. I went the most disadvanatged primary school in Staffordshire. It's about having your own mind. I chose to be lonely at times, I chose not to go the wrong way. I believe in the individual to decide on what we want.
    I have been edcuated badly but I can't help having crap education but I have got where I wanted (A top university! ). Going to a bad school is no excuse for not getting away. It's tough, believe you me. It's been so fucking tough for me. But in a few weeks time, when I'm at university, the feeling is goping to be unbearabley good.

Back on the topic:
    What education do you propose exactly?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    He's right, you can tell the people who are most likely to be criminals and behave anti-socially. They're the people who are poor, ill-educated and socially excluded.

Helping these people should be a top priority, as you only get people to respect the community they live in if they are made to feel part of that community. Include people in society and they stop acting outside of, and against, society.

Sadly Blair's solution seems to be exclude these people from society even further. Because that will work.

True words.

Right way to identif the situation here. Complete failiure to grasp it and offer the right kind of help.

God, this government sure is screwing our country quite royally. See... this is what happens when you try to appease everyone. You achieve a hell of alot of nothing.

Luke - good luck at Uni. Maybe broaden your horizons a bit...? ;) Not everyone foreign is bad you know. Without the foreigners... half of Britains Uni's probably wouldn't have the money they do... might even close.
  • Options
    It's about having a lot of luck. Just because one person can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear doesn't mean that it is a realistic target for everyone. I didn't exactly start life with a silver spoon in my mouth either, but my parents could read to me and did read to me, so I started with an advantage over many of my classmates.

I'd suggest an education tailored to what people enjoy. With calculators and spellcheckers the 3 Rs are far less important than learning a trade, learning something that you want to do and that pays a good wage. All the obsessing about GCSE results damages people, it creates an artificial success/failure divide, and it stops capable people doing things.

GCSEs are designed so that a certain number of people must fail, what good does that do people exactly? Instead of pissing about with pointless science and French lessons, why not get people learning about cars, about electrics, about plumbing? I'm an educated man, I've got good A'levels and a good degree, but I can safely say I haven't used a single thing I learned during my compulsory science lessons in 8 years. And learning about boring pedantic shite like Shakespeare is a waste of time and energy.
  • Options
    Well said Kermit.

Half of the "lower" lot at our school went to college instead of School once it was known they wern't going to do well at GCSE, and did things like motor mechanics instead.

But wh even bother at all still putting them through GCSEs? One of them sat at his desk, wrote his name on the paper, then went to sleep.

Totally worth it.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Luke - good luck at Uni. Maybe broaden your horizons a bit...? ;) Not everyone foreign is bad you know. Without the foreigners... half of Britains Uni's probably wouldn't have the money they do... might even close.
    Want to know a secret... I hate foreigners that much I'm taking up a foriegn language at university. Think about it.

Anyway Thanks for the luck.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I didn't exactly start life with a silver spoon in my mouth either, but my parents could read to me and did read to me, so I started with an advantage over many of my classmates.

Same here. My parents used to read to me most nights when I was younger.
    I'd suggest an education tailored to what people enjoy. With calculators and spellcheckers the 3 Rs are far less important than learning a trade, learning something that you want to do and that pays a good wage. All the obsessing about GCSE results damages people, it creates an artificial success/failure divide, and it stops capable people doing things.

Indeed.
    GCSEs are designed so that a certain number of people must fail, what good does that do people exactly?

It does no good at all.
    Instead of pissing about with pointless science and French lessons, why not get people learning about cars, about electrics, about plumbing? I'm an educated man, I've got good A'levels and a good degree, but I can safely say I haven't used a single thing I learned during my compulsory science lessons in 8 years. And learning about boring pedantic shite like Shakespeare is a waste of time and energy.

Not all science lessons are pointless. says me who never actually learnt anything because they decided to put me in a set with people who were doing a totally different thing
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's about having a lot of luck. Just because one person can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear doesn't mean that it is a realistic target for everyone. I didn't exactly start life with a silver spoon in my mouth either, but my parents could read to me and did read to me, so I started with an advantage over many of my classmates.

GCSEs are designed so that a certain number of people must fail, what good does that do people exactly? Instead of pissing about with pointless science and French lessons, why not get people learning about cars, about electrics, about plumbing? I'm an educated man, I've got good A'levels and a good degree, but I can safely say I haven't used a single thing I learned during my compulsory science lessons in 8 years. And learning about boring pedantic shite like Shakespeare is a waste of time and energy.
    From my experience, most children are scum bags because their parents are too. They have always been the bullies of the class and then they leave in year 11. from the start of school (aged 5) to aged 15 they wreck and make childrens lives a living misery.
    How can we defer them from this? I blame the parents, the solution has to lie with parenting.

However, many children who you'd never ever think would turn out into scum bags did eventually when exposed to even more of them at secondary school. Peer pressure takes it's toll and they give up and end up like them. I don't think the education system in general is the problem. It is quite diverse now with many subejcts on offer. Furthermore, I would not like Maths, English nor Science dropped until a child reaches 16 since these subjects are vital.

I feel, from my experience, lies with the lack of direction, the lack of discipline before the child becomes out of line, respect for education and teachers and respect for one another. they will always be scum bags but the system has let so many kids down who were bright but got caught up through liberalism. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Want to know a secret... I hate foreigners that much I'm taking up a foriegn language at university. Think about it.

Anyway Thanks for the luck.

No probs. What language you doing, if you don't mind me asking? And you get the damn Student Bar... cheap drinks all night!

Interestingly... trying to indentify potential trouble makers... I bet they won't watch all the rich people children... who often prove to be just as bad, because daddy is nice and influential and can get them out of allsorts.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    But in a few weeks time, when I'm at university, the feeling is goping to be unbearabley good.
    possibly not if thats also in staffordshire like your primary school :p

having said that, despite my background, i'm at university now and hopefully next year will be a graduate with a degree behind me.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    No probs. What language you doing, if you don't mind me asking? And you get the damn Student Bar... cheap drinks all night!
    Spanish.

Yeah hope to see £1 a pint like I have done in Stoke on student night :yippe:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Interestingly... trying to indentify potential trouble makers... I bet they won't watch all the rich people children... who often prove to be just as bad, because daddy is nice and influential and can get them out of allsorts.
    Yep. You don't have to be poor to be a trouble maker.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    possibly not if thats also in staffordshire like your primary school :p
    I made sure it wasn't in Staffordshire... Staffordshire uni? No chance! keele? nice campus but it's too close to Stoke.
    otter wrote:
    having said that, despite my background, i'm at university now and hopefully next year will be a graduate with a degree behind me.
    Good luck mate, enjoy it, you've worked for it.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I feel, from my experience, lies with the lack of direction, the lack of discipline before the child becomes out of line,

Oh, yes, that is undoubtably an issue as well. The single parents are off at work, the child is alone - doing what it pleases with no-one to discipline it or instill values. Even the parents who stay at home, aren't allowed to smack a child anymore for fear of abuse charges, whilst real child abuse seems often ignored.

Discipline is an issue that needs addressing. But it isn't the WHOLE issue. Plus the ever lax attitude to anti-social behaviour (What fucking good does an ASBO do? None at all).
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

It does no good at all.
    So failure is a bad thing? It shouldn't be. You should try again and again. If you fail again and again then try something new.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    So failure is a bad thing? It shouldn't be. You should try again and again. If you fail again and again then try something new.

Of course failure is a bad thing and it gets you nowhere. It also puts alot of pressure on people.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh, yes, that is undoubtably an issue as well. The single parents are off at work, the child is alone - doing what it pleases with no-one to discipline it or instill values. Even the parents who stay at home, aren't allowed to smack a child anymore for fear of abuse charges, whilst real child abuse seems often ignored.
    As for disadvantaged pupils, no single mother works, well they don't around my end anyway.

BUt for what you're saying you're spot on.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Discipline is an issue that needs addressing. But it isn't the WHOLE issue. Plus the ever lax attitude to anti-social behaviour (What fucking good does an ASBO do? None at all).
    Again i agree with you again.

Although I do believe discipline is a big thing in a persons life it is not the only thing.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Of course failure is a bad thing and it gets you nowhere. It also puts alot of pressure on people.
    Preesure is good.

Life is hard, get used to it.

If you fail, try again.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    erm... it depends on what the reasons are behind why you failed.
    i agree tho' anyhting you want is worth working for. even if that means a few attempts.
    not everyhting comes easy to everyoine