Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lost my NRA.

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
Right I've got an interview tomorrow for a job as Trainee Electrical Engineer. Over the past few years I've been working as a telecoms and data Engineer but I've made the decision I want to go back to college. It means I'll take about 10 grand less a year but it somehting I really want to do, and has a bit more future in it than what I'm doing now.
I applied for the job with the council, and have already completed a number of tests which mean I made a shortlist of 10 out of the original 90 or so applicants.

Tomorrow I have the interview, problem is I can't find my NRA. I now have no proper certifactes for my GCSE and A level results, all I have is a little slip of paper with my printed GCSE results. When my mum died last year we had a big clear out of the house and I'm guessing my old man or my sister mistook my NRA for rubbish.

How do you think it's going to look in the interview tomorrow? What can I say/do about it?
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you have already given a CV then i shouldn't worry as long as you can sell yourself with what you say. :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The probem is they have specifically asked for the certificates. Do you know if you can get duplicates?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    The probem is they have specifically asked for the certificates. Do you know if you can get duplicates?
    :yes: but you've got to pay for them
    and they take a while to come through the mail
    I lost mine years ago, well actually i left it behind when i left my ex and haven't needed it.
    It would be nice to know how you get copies of the gcses etc though as i never got my certificates.
    I might just have to say I'm in the process of getting duplicates. You think that will wash?
    Weekender Offender 
    Tweety wrote:
    I lost mine years ago, well actually i left it behind when i left my ex and haven't needed it.
    It would be nice to know how you get copies of the gcses etc though as i never got my certificates.

You'll probably need to write to/phone/email the exam board.
    Skive wrote:
    I might just have to say I'm in the process of getting duplicates. You think that will wash?
    Say that and take the printed slip thing with you.
    Tweety wrote:
    whatever board you took them under (e.g. AQA) can provide you with them for a fee.

Skive, :yes: you will probably be okay saying that unless you have some mean f**k interviewing you :)
    Skive wrote:
    Right I've got an interview tomorrow for a job as Trainee Electrical Engineer. Over the past few years I've been working as a telecoms and data Engineer but I've made the decision I want to go back to college. It means I'll take about 10 grand less a year but it somehting I really want to do, and has a bit more future in it than what I'm doing now.
    I applied for the job with the council, and have already completed a number of tests which mean I made a shortlist of 10 out of the original 90 or so applicants.

Tomorrow I have the interview, problem is I can't find my NRA. I now have no proper certifactes for my GCSE and A level results, all I have is a little slip of paper with my printed GCSE results. When my mum died last year we had a big clear out of the house and I'm guessing my old man or my sister mistook my NRA for rubbish.

How do you think it's going to look in the interview tomorrow? What can I say/do about it?
    Take the slip of paper for now and explain the situation.

You can get a statement of confirmation from the boards fairly easily as my friend had to recently as well but chat to them first about it as they might accept just the slips.
    I think that if you are honest, and explain that you will provide the copies ASAP, you should be fine. Quite often they don't even ask for them until they give an offer of employment.

You'll need to get duplicates, and that will cost, but it shouldn't be a hassle.
    whats an NRA?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    jenni30 wrote:
    whats an NRA?

National Record of Achievement :)
    the results slip doesn't count as a certificate, it says at the bottom of it
    (found this out myself the other day, i lost my gcse certificates too :( )
    z01 wrote:
    the results slip doesn't count as a certificate, it says at the bottom of it

I know, but it's better than nothing.

Thing is in 8 years I've never had to use my NRA.
    Weekender Offender 
    It's going to cost me about £400 just to get a certified statement of results. Exam boards only alow duplicate certificates if they've been damaged by fire or flood or stolen. :(
    Weekender Offender 
    OMG thats loads :(

I found my NRA the other day. Had a good laugh reading old personal statements I had written when I was 15. Decided to chuck those bits out because they were really embarrasing and I don't think any future employer of mine is going to interested in the fact I used to sweep floors at the local chemist when I was 15 for £1.23 an hour!!
    Skive wrote:
    I know, but it's better than nothing.

Thing is in 8 years I've never had to use my NRA.
    Neither have I. I've kept my exam certificates (never had to use them though). I threw it away as I figured it would do more harm than good to my job prospects. I don't know if they're the same all over, but at our school you had a page for sporting achievements, a page for academic stuff, a page for hobbies, a page about extracurricular activities, etc. Stupid thing was you had a huge blank A4 page for each little thing, & most subjects overlapped with each other (eg. sporting & extracurricular). So you were pretty much saying the same stuff on each page. And unless you were a serious overachiever (5 million different hobbies, member of every sports team, in the school orchestra, had a saturday or evening job, etc) it was really had to write anything interesting. So each page of mine had a few sentences that were only a slight variation of what was on every other page. A potential employer would just look at it & go "Nah, nothing to write home about - no job for you!".
    I only use my NRA for keeping my certificates straight. But to be honest, once you've had a proper job for about a year, no-one usually gives a shit what GCSE's and A-Levels you got. In fact, no-one seems to give a shit that you've got a degree to be honest unless you're going for an actual graduate job. The only proper jobs I've seen that require a degree also seem to want about 10 years experience in whatever the job is. My academic achievements are tucked somewhere towards the bottom of my CV on a few lines. A few years ago, they were proudly displayed as the first thing on my CV, in a nice table with each subject and the grade. Then I realised no-one gives a shit.