Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mounting RAM at 90 degrees?

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Is there an adapter anywhere, or how easy would it be to make one, that will allow me to mount a stick of RAM (SDRAM, in this case) at 90 degrees, or horizontally? Just a project I am working on at the minute would make this easier, much, much, easier.

With the ram socket being vertical, I assume it would be easy to have an adapter that plugs in, and then goes at 90 degrees allowing the ram to be mounted flat, increasing availible space above it.

Any ideas, folk?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Any ideas, folk?

Yeah, you're crazy. :p
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ffft... see... this project is a computer in a CD player.

I want to mount the CDROM where the old one used to eject... but... the ram of the mobo gets in the way. As such, I was wondering if it could be mounted sideways with an adapter? Ya know... like the image I attached now :p

Possible?
    Forget it. Motherboards are designed to have electrical traces of a known length, and are designed to interact with each other to reduce RFI. Even if you did find one, there is a huge chance you'd end up with a rather unreliable machine. :)

Find another motherboard, or redesign your case.
    Phone a Computer shop they might have some ideas:p

Very nice idea tho:wave:
    This is one of those instances where you should listen to someone who isn't trying to sell you something. ;)
    dunno tbh, the rack servers we use at work have adapters so that the extension cards can be mounted horizontally, or else the lid wouldn't close obviously, it's possible something like this exists for RAM but i've never seen it personally.....
    PCI cards run at 33mhz. Memory does not. :)
    Yep, I agree with Click to see more, don't think if you find any you will end up with a very stable system... After if you really want to do it, just do it yourself...

Remove the ram socket, connect the sockets back but with some cables betwen them and the motherboard so you can move them around as you wish... Then just find something to hold them in place...
    Or you could just bend the ram chips. They might be flexible.
    Mist wrote:
    Or you could just bend the ram chips. They might be flexible.
    :lol: You arse.

So Click, I guess the idea is off huh? Might have to invest in some low-profile RAM, one of my PC's has some, might nick it quickly and see if it will fit and be worth it. That PC does need its stick though, lol. Could just take it and bu a normal 256 stick to replace it... hmm.

Shame... it'll look groovy with RAM mounted sideways. NMM, I am not up for resoldering a Mobo tbh :p I would if I had a better soldering Iron though. Plus the cables would be dodgey ;o.

Ah well. All these ideas... hmm. Guess there isn't a big market for sideways RAM adapters.
    Find an old K6-III or similar with mobo. They should run fine with EDO SIMMS - 66mhz, and a much lower profile than a DIMM :).
    Find an old K6-III or similar with mobo. They should run fine with EDO SIMMS - 66mhz, and a much lower profile than a DIMM :).

I just bought a mobo for it - I want a good PC in it, or I'd have used my 486 mobo :p

Low Profile RAM might work - we'll see.