Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what does "healing" actually consist of?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Rang the girl who did my tattoo earlier today who is also the piercer. I was asking her about a lip ring I want to get next month however she said the healin process isw approx. 6 weeks.

What exactly does the term mean? Does it stop you doing certain things, or does it just sort of mean, "don't knock against it, don't remove the ring" sort of jist?

Also, if I get it done the week before my birthday will it still be noticeably hideously swollen? And befoooooore anyone says it, yes I have done a search. :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The healing period is the length of time it takes for a wound to heal. That's what a piercing is - a wound on the skin. A normal wound would dry up, scab over and then scar which would take a matter of weeks. Well, that's pretty much how a piercing heals, just minus the scab.

It takes a few weeks for the skin to harden, and the hole to heal so that it can't carry infection/bacteria. When a piercing is fresh, it can harbour bacteria which causes infection.
    During the healing period one will clean the piercing with saline (salt water) to help healing and to keep bacteria at bay. So during the healing period you shouldn't touch the jewellery with unwashed hands or knock it, like you mentioned....
    With a lip ring, because it's inside your mouth, drinking alcohol, eating spicy foods and smoking can all cause problems with a fresh piercing so it's recommended that you don't do these things during the healing period.
    I actually had you in mind when I got the notification of a reply - thanks very much :)
    Hehe, no problem. I hope it was the answer you were looking for :thumb:
    With a lip ring, because it's inside your mouth, drinking alcohol, eating spicy foods and smoking can all cause problems with a fresh piercing so it's recommended that you don't do these things during the healing period.

:o WHAT?!
    Well think about it....smoking isnt healthy in any sense, so why should it suddenly make your fresh piercing nice and healthy? hehe.

I was warned off kissing too, tho i didnt listen, neither did i listen to the alchohol one, which led to the kissing. lol. Raw vodka on a fresh lip hole is NOT a nice feeling.
    1983 wrote:
    :o WHAT?!
    yep, and avoid kissing too much and oral sex.
    yep, and avoid kissing too much and oral sex.
    :yes: because it is unhealed you need to be really really careful with even just kissing - if the other person has one too there is a risk of HIV being passed on if they have it (according to my qualified piercer friend with mouth piercings).