Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mayor of Caracas takes luxury golf courses to build housing for the poor

The mayor of Venezuela's capital Caracas says he plans to expropriate two exclusive golf courses and use the land for homes for the city's poor.
Mayor Juan Barreto has said playing golf on lavish courses within sight of the city's slums is "shameful".

Mr Barreto, an ally of President Hugo Chavez, has been trying to address a dramatic housing shortage in Caracas.

But critics say property rights are being eroded in Venezuela, where farms and ranches have also been seized.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5297246.stm

Fantastic! :D If only the Venezuelans ruled the South East of England as well...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I hate Golf as well, but given that South East England is already been steadily turned into one vast conurbation I'm not persuaded that we want to get rid of the remaining bits of green.
    I'm really unsure about Venezuela, it seems that he is actually using his powers properly and improving things for the poor, and lets face it he's got a tonne of money to play with.

I just hope it isnt too much at the expense of the middle class and he does it without turning himself into a nasty dictator in the process.
    NQA wrote:
    Personally I hate Golf as well, but given that South East England is already been steadily turned into one vast conurbation I'm not persuaded that we want to get rid of the remaining bits of green.
    Good point.

Perhaps a conversion to gardens/wooded area would be in order then.

I never got the point of golf I must say. They keep popping up like cancerous tumours all over Southern Spain- arguably the driest region in Europe :mad:
    A good walk spoiled.
    The only good golf is Pub Golf. Good for him I hope he makes poor people better off.
    I like playing golf. It reminds me that I'm in richest 1% of the worlds population.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Haha, good cause!

Golf is alright. If you remind yourself it is for fun, and not dead serious. However, some twat will always be super-serious and get all huffy if you don't do the course in under the par score, holding him up.

I like golf. I just hate the majority of people who play it.
    Just wearing the trousers they wear should warrant life imprisonment.
    I don't mind a bit of pitch and putt. In my opinion, if you can't get round the course with one iron and a putter, you're not good enough.