Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tom and jerry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else find this utterly ridiculous?

"London -- They chase each other at high speed wielding axes and hammers. But the famous cartoon duo of Tom and Jerry are in trouble in Britain for smoking on screen.

A channel airing the cartoons has agreed to cut scenes that glamorize smoking after British media regulator Ofcom received a complaint from a viewer who took offence at two episodes.

In the first, Texas Tom, the hapless cat tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, Tennis Chumps, Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

In a bulletin posted on-line, Ofcom noted that "concerns that smoking on television may normalize smoking," and said that Turner Entertainment -- which licensed the cartoons to Boomerang -- had agreed to edit some smoking scenes out of Tom and Jerry.

Ofcom acknowledged that smoking was more generally accepted when the cartoons were produced, but noted that the threshold should be high for showing such scenes to a young audience."

Comments

• Options
    We've already had a thread on this.
  • Options
    Yep! We have had this thread and it was bollocks then! Fucking whingy whiny complainers! I say it is sacrilage to edit any of the classic cartoons!
    Surely if they glamorize smoking by showing them smoking, then they glamorize violence by showing them trying to kill each other.
  • Options
    What kind of arsehole 'took offence' at a cartoon cat smoking?

I find that person offensive, they should be banned.
  • Options
    Absolutely pathetic. More from the nanny state. Sack the lot of them!
  • Options
    I've just noticed that it's Turner Entertainment who've agreed to edit the cartoons.

We need Ted to pop up and shout "Ted Turner don't care!" and over rule this.

Ted Turner don't care!
  • Options
    if thats the case, whats the point keeping the black maid in the cartoon as well because that stereotype ended aaaaaaaaaaaaages ago....
  • Options
    It's stupid. I've never watched Tom & Jerry and thought "ooh, this show glamourises smoking. I'll just go buy some Marlboro Lights now". I wonder why Ofcom is so offended by smoking, but not by the violence on the show, the bullying, or of the utterly racist stereotyping of the maid?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    or of the utterly racist stereotyping of the maid?

Because that's already been dealt with. The maid was changed in some of the cartoons. Same way that.....off the top of my head...12 Bugs Bunny cartoons were taken of air or shown after the watershed with a massive disclaimer.

But the cartoons are period pieces and I think they should be left as they are.

As for the violence....it's utter slapstick....
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Because that's already been dealt with. The maid was changed in some of the cartoons. Same way that.....off the top of my head...12 Bugs Bunny cartoons were taken of air or shown after the watershed with a massive disclaimer.

As for the violence....it's utter slapstick....
    Any day now, I expect that some idiot is going to complain about the violence on Itchy & Scratchy.
  • Options
    Smoking is bad, mmmkay?

Shooting everything in sight and using guns, however, it's a wholy commendable activity that children should embrace. That's what makes us free apparently.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

To be fair the cartoon's are always going to be available unedited (in the many box sets for sale) - now I don't justify this at all but it's worth remembering that television is regualrly edited for different channels - Buffy and Angel in particular were heavily edited for their slot on sky one - though that was for violence, not smoking.

I guess it comes down to that current attitude that smoking isn't a choice, it's evil.
  • Options
    Can't say it worries me, as Jim says TV is always making minor edits

eg When has anyone last seen TV show the original version of the Dambusters where the dogs called '******'. Now if you're an absolute purist you can complain, but a few seconds cut from family entertainment so as not to offend hardly seems something to worry about.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:

eg When has anyone last seen TV show the original version of the Dambusters where the dogs called '******'.

Nope. I do now wonder what it is called :lol:
  • Options
    It's called "Nigger".
  • Options
    :eek2: Didn't think they'd get away with that even then! I thought it would be bastard or something. Why would you call a dog that... ?

And this is meant to be a family film. But yeah, censorship happens all the time for reasons like this. But doing something like that to Tom and Jerry is a bit extreme. Hell, will the old Bond films be censored next?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :eek2: Didn't think they'd get away with that even then! I thought it would be bastard or something. Why would you call a dog that... ?

Cos it was black :D
    And this is meant to be a family film. But yeah, censorship happens all the time for reasons like this. But doing something like that to Tom and Jerry is a bit extreme. Hell, will the old Bond films be censored next?

it was acceptable at the time. I'm not sure when I noticed it was gone 90's or something, so all the time up to that it was acceptable. At the same time you're not going to get many repeats of 'Love thy neighbour' (which was shite) or 'It ain't half hot Mum' (which was amusing).

That said can you imagine in the early days of Coronation Street a major character having a lesbian relationship or something like Sugar Rush being allowed.

What was offensive then isn't now and vice versa. In all honesty I can't get worked up because a few frames of Tom smoking get cut. they'd be better off banning it because of its nazi subtext :D (hint: think of the names and old WW2 comics)
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    because of its nazi subtext :D (hint: think of the names and old WW2 comics)

I think most people got that once they grew over 12. :p Besides, if Nazis wasn't considered OK, why are the Dail Mail still in print?

What if they started cutting smoking out of all the classic films though? Maybe even of TV entirley? Surley there would be some protest there?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think most people got that once they grew over 12. :p Besides, if Nazis wasn't considered OK, why are the Dail Mail still in print?

What if they started cutting smoking out of all the classic films though? Maybe even of TV entirley? Surley there would be some protest there?

But in depends on context. It seems sense to allow Churchill to smoke (scottish Executive take note) and watching Murphy's Law it fits with the programme that they smoke. But Tom and Jerry? I hate PC as much as the next man, but its a non-story and if it wasn't August I doubt anyone would have noticed.