Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

paracetamol question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if you take 4-8 paracetamols in one go for about a week, does it cause any damage?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    probably not .. i dont think liver damage from paracetamol is permanent
    z01 wrote:
    i dont think liver damage from paracetamol is permanent
    It can be permanent.
    4-8 for a week, but how many times in the day ? 8 at a time is certainly too much. People have caused themselves irreversible liver damage with this dose. If you're taking 4-8 pills at a time say 4+ times a day then 1. thats way too much, and 2. there must be some kind of problem and it would be best to go and see your doctor and get it properly diagnosed and some proper medication.
    4+ tablets in one go in one day. so thats any where from 28+ in a week
    Well if you're needing pain relief every day, you need to get yourself to your doctor's to see whats wrong. If there is something wrong you'll be given the right kind of drug (there's loads of non-paracetamol based) analgesics and you'll be given the right one. Incidentally what's the pain you're suffering from, if i'm not being personal ?
    period pain and headaches
    Well, even though i'm not an expert on period pain, i'd think that there'd be other things you could take. As for headaches, well there could be a load of reasons. Personally i get these really nasty tension headaches which just won't go, so i get a mild muscle relaxant off the doc to help. Any kind of pain in the head, if it goes on for longer than a few days, should be investigated. Pop along to your doctor's and get some proffesional advice about it and the right medication.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well, even though i'm not an expert on period pain, i'd think that there'd be other things you could take. As for headaches, well there could be a load of reasons. Personally i get these really nasty tension headaches which just won't go, so i get a mild muscle relaxant off the doc to help. Any kind of pain in the head, if it goes on for longer than a few days, should be investigated. Pop along to your doctor's and get some proffesional advice about it and the right medication.
    :yes:

Increasing the dose does not lead to an automatic increase in effect of a drug so if the recommended dose doesn't help you try taking something different e.g. something from your GP like RubberSkin said.
    ok, thanks for all your help
    No problem :) Always a pleasure to help someone :)
    What other remedies have you tried? Have you ever thought about going on the pill? I suffered for a good couple of years until I went on the pill. Now I only have very slight symptoms for the first day of my period.
    ive tried that 4head stuff for headaches but that doesnt seem to work. i havent thought about going on the pill
    Taking that amount of paracetamol at once is an overdose and can actually GIVE you a headache.

Definitely go to your doctor.
    mambo90 wrote:
    if you take 4-8 paracetamols in one go for about a week, does it cause any damage?
    Paracetemols are extremely liver taxing at high doses.
    I always find a hot water bottle is best for period pain.
    Doubling up dosages is dangerous, which is why they specify dosage on the packets. You can cause permanent liver damage by overdosing so regularly.

I had excrutiating periods when I first started, so I went on the pill - it's totally gotten rid of my period pain, so it's definitely worth looking into, if it's a regular occurance.

I'd also suggest going to your GP asap. They can prescribe stronger painkillers, that you can take in lower doses, so you're not harming your body. They'll also find out why you're having headaches, and find a suitable remedy.

I can't stress this enough, taking double paracetamol every day will only cause problems in the long term. Please see your GP.
    I heard about this a few weeks ago.
    Forget paracetamol, use ibuprofen, its much safer.
    Ibuprofen is also an anti-inflamitory so it'll calm down the tummy spasms and tension headache.
    Ibuprofen is also an anti-inflamitory so it'll calm down the tummy spasms and tension headache.

Paracetamol does not work for me when I have period pain. Ibuprofen does :yes:
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Paracetamol does not work for me when I have period pain. Ibuprofen does :yes:

Yeah I agree.

Like others have said, I think you should go to the doctors. You really shouldn't have to suffer like that every month. When I went on the pill I had much less period pain, so I think its definitely worth considering and talking to a GP about, I came off it a few months ago though and the pains are gradually getting worse again :impissed:
    Because I cannot go on the pill, the doctor gave me Tranexamic acid. Works wonders!
    HIT wrote:
    Forget paracetamol, use ibuprofen, its much safer.

It can still have some serious side effects though. Taking it too often = not pretty.

If you are in so much pain that the max dose of any OTC painkiller isn't working, then you need to get your ass to the doctors, not just throw back more. Ditto if you are taking it regularly.
    thanks i will try and see my doctor sometime
    nurofen, if you can take it, is supposed to be good for pp

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/main.asp?pid=309

Doh it contains ibuprofen, already been said
    Heat pads (Lil-lets make them) are good if you end up like me - doubled up in pain but have to go to work! I used to be on mefenamic acid (taken for a day or 2 before you're due) but my periods are too irregular so it stopped working.

I found microgynon reduced my period pains, too.
    you should consider going on the pill may be?
    your periods shouldn't fu*k with your life and if they do then something needs doing about them because its not healthy to keep taking huge doses of paracetamol or ibroprofen or any other drug for that matter.
    exercise helps too with period pains - but you have to be willing to try it when you are already in pain:p
    Ibruprofen with codiene is your best bet in the short term, but as others have said your GP is the person to talk to.
    IIRC for the paracetamol I take the instructions say you can't take more than 4 in the space of a few hours.
    IIRC for the paracetamol I take the instructions say you can't take more than 4 in the space of a few hours.

I've never had instructions like that. The ones we have always say 'take no more than 8 (?) in 24 hours'.