Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do I need to cut down?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, 'yes' is definitely the answer to that question...

I'm 19 years old, male, and I've got just under a month left before I go to university for the first time.

Over the past few weeks I've found myself drinking more and more. A quick calculation a second ago showed that in the past week I've drunk 76 units of alcohol - a little bit more than the recommended 21 a week for men!

So for this reason I've decided to cut right down. From this day forward I'm not going to go out during the week, and if I do I won't drink alcohol at all. But I'm going to do my best to stay in altogether.

At weekends I'm going to aim for 5 or 6 pints per night, and only take out enough money to buy these. I'm going to leave my bank card at home as well so I'm not tempted to get any more out. I'm also going to tell my drinking buddies not to buy me any booze at all, even if I get down on my knees and beg.

I've also given up smoking :)

Any further advice or tips, messages of encouragement, etc etc would be much appreciated.

Sam

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wish you the best of luck. :)
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Yea man, your not exactly going to do your self any harm by cutting back. So why not? Good luck with it and make sure you stick to it :thumb:
    Dont think of it in terms of cutting down forever (although 70+ units a week isnt going to be a good idea in the long term).

Just focus on the short term goal, it would be pretty crap if you got to the end of three years and you'd balls it up from drinking.
    In perspective 5/6 pints a night is a lot for some people

So cutting down with do you wonders, for your wallet and bank balance in the short term, and long term. Also you health in the long term too.
    Good luck with it.

Smeg think of the money you will save :)

I think the mojority of student debt probably accumulates at the bar:p
    Good to hear that you are trying to cut down.

You may find that freshers week will be the big tester for you, at most unis in the UK your programme of events will be heavily centered around alcohol consumption. If you can motivate yourself to moderate your consumption before and during the freshers week then you should be very well set for the rest of uni.

And Marmite; most of student debt is NOT spent in the bar, it comes from a variety of sources most of all being goods and services rather than entertainment.

Drinking alone or when you get home from work in front of the TV can be the most habit inducing form of drinking for many people, and you may want to look at where you are drinking and when, so that you can look at when you are drinking the most and cut down then, at a pace that is helpful to you.

If you have a friend or other person who you feel that you can speak to in confidence about it, it helps some people to have a person with whom they can discuss and bounce ideas off of.

It can also help, if you drink in the evening or have problems getting to sleep without alcohol, to tire yourself out physically during the day through excercise such as football or long distance walking which will help you get to sleep of an evening.
    Since your having to ask the question then yes.

Just don't drink for a while and then drink occasionaly, not all the time.

Recently i've been drinking nearly every night, a few odd nights here and there but i won't be at this forever, i'll be cutting down quite soon, it's just a bit mad recently.
    Good to hear that you are trying to cut down.

And Marmite; most of student debt is NOT spent in the bar, it comes from a variety of sources most of all being goods and services rather than entertainment.

You missed the pokey tongue then.
    Actually other than accommodation, most of my debt was at the bar. True for most students.

Well, if I was you I'd just have a good time at freshers week then try and cut down after that. No point being a square when everyone else is out having a class time, and I know you can have a good time out without drinking but it's just not the same.