Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone with latin knowledge?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
What exactly does "spiritus sanctus vita eterna" mean? I can tell it says something about the soul and life being eternal, but what exactly?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    spiritus sanctus is holy spirity no?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    spiritus sanctus is holy spirity no?

Yes, the only latin I know is how to say in the name of the father, son and holy spirit.
  • Options
    So that would be something like "the holy spirit lives eternally"?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Vita eterna must mean eternal life, surely? I've done no latin whatsoever, but it must be that I would have thought.

My latin is very rusty but I'd go with "The Holy Spirit lives eternally"

I can't give a definitive answer though as I am not sure I am quite right about the conjugation of vita.
  • Options
    IN what context are you using that?

Coz spiritus can mean breath or life too.
    Although Turvey's translation sounds about right...
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Well, the word for word translation is "Holy Spirit eternal life", but I'm not certain what the phrase is supposed to mean. Probably what Turvey said though "the Holy Spirit lives eternally" or something.
  • Options
    It's part of a song. I've been listening to it for years (not continuously :p) and I could never make out what that strange voice at this part was saying. Someone else heard it, so I was wondering what it meant.
    There's no real context, it's just something being said repeatedly on the background in a part of the song.
  • Options
    What exactly does "spiritus sanctus vita eterna" mean? I can tell it says something about the soul and life being eternal, but what exactly?

vita - is life - like french vit (c'est la vit)

so yeh im not really adding anything here.
  • Options
    If it's used in a song then the phrase as a whole may not mean anything more than the words. I couldn't tell you though because it's like 15 years since I did latin and I have strangely forgotten a lot of the stuff about conjugations, which is fairly key.
  • Options
    (The French is vie, actually)

It's probably the ablative of time (assuming you've spelt it correctly and it is an ablative) - lit. "Holy Spirit life eternal", 'cos English doesn't use cases, but once you translate it as an ablative you get "The life of the HS is eternal". So, yes, "The HS lives eternally" is just a paraphrase of that.
  • Options
    Aha, thanks. :)
    Not that I needed to know or anything, just curious. Maybe why they put those words in would make sense if I'd read the book. :p