Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Out of place or out of time?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I was invited to a party which was yesterday night. I went there, lots of people etc. Shortly after, I was bored.
It pretty much was like this: A computer with huge speakers in one corner of the yard, playing music so loud that I had trouble hearing people next to me speak (they probably were ok, I have a little loss of hearing when it comes to human voices). Some were dancing (almost all of them girls) and the rest were sitting around and talking or choosing songs to play next. I don't know how to dance and, to be honest, I wasn't all too thrilled about it. I couldn't hear the other well enough to talk and near the end, when the music went down so I could hear the few people that were left, I often had nothing to say (though I made sure to say it when I had).
So as I said, I was mostly bored. I began to psycho-analyse myself, as I do sometimes, and I figured out that I probably would be having fun if it was the kind of party that people play games in (not computer games) etc. Since it wasn't, I felt bored.
I probably could have tried to speak to others I didn't know, but being almost unable to hear them made my (I guess) shyness worse, so I didn't. But my question is this:

Was I simply out of place? (i.e., it simply wasn't my cup of tea)
Or was I out of time? Perhaps the kind of thing I have in mind is out of the question for 20-year olds (although there were people as young as 16 and the hostess was kind of acting like 7 :p) and I have to adapt to my age?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dunno, that sounds like a pretty nice type of party to me tbh...i'm 17 if that helps. the ones where you actually organise games/activities etc are bloody fun as well tho :yippe: tho ours always involve plenty of alcohol for the grown up spin on things :p
  • Options
    "Here's an amusing game for all you coal-hearted misanthropes out there. Next time you find yourself lurking in the corner at a party, watching the disgusting fun unfold around you, start saying the word "despair" out loud. Begin the incantation at conversational level, then increase the volume incrementally until someone asks you to leave. I guarantee you'll be bellowing at the top of your lungs before anyone even notices. If you're lucky, someone else'll join in, and then you've made a new friend. I know; I've tried it myself."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1852956,00.html
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    "Here's an amusing game for all you coal-hearted misanthropes out there. Next time you find yourself lurking in the corner at a party, watching the disgusting fun unfold around you, start saying the word "despair" out loud. Begin the incantation at conversational level, then increase the volume incrementally until someone asks you to leave. I guarantee you'll be bellowing at the top of your lungs before anyone even notices. If you're lucky, someone else'll join in, and then you've made a new friend. I know; I've tried it myself."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1852956,00.html
    That's real help, thanks. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my pleasure :thumb:
  • Options
    Some parties are just full of boring people. Boring people = boring party. I just think it wasn't your cup of tea. I once went to a party where there was a bunch of guys with their computers hooked up together playing some shoot-em-up, a few people playing videogames in the front room and a few more smoking weed out the back. To me, that was the most boring party ever, because it was like a normal quiet party, which I'm normally fine with, but with no-one to have a conversation with. But I'm sure some of the people who were there had a great time, and would be bored at a party with loud music and free-flowing alcohol.
  • Options
    There's no point over analysing it, if it wasn't your cup of tea then it wasn't your cup of tea.

Age doesn't really come into it, I still like the same things I did when I was 17 and I'm 22 now.

Always prefer actually going out and stuff though, was at a party last weekend and I was bored shitless because I couldn't get drunk and my mate kept trying to set me up with some guitar wielding he-she :crazyeyes
  • Options
    In situations like that I hunt the game players out and start the games! you'll find someone up for it!
  • Options
    It was probably not your cup of tea. But tbh, the overall impression I get from your posts is that you have social difficulties. It's not only about shyness, it's about feeling inadequate in social situations, like not fitting in. I think you really need to address these difficulties if you want to be happy. I'm sorry, I don't mean this in a patronising or cruel way, I'm just being honest becuase I'd sincerely like to see you doing better.
  • Options
    If that was me Id just get a few people to play some drinking games then the fun begins from there.
  • Options
    Did you know the people there though? If not, that's probably the problem. The parties me & my housemates throw here tend to involve lots of talking (with - yes! - a computer playing music in the room). But thing is, most of the people at the party know each other, or at least know some of the same people, so there'll be lots of random conversations & everyone is one a similar footing. Also, rather than split into little groups, everyone sits in one large group. Occasionally people might start their own little convo with the people around them (like say, the people together on one sofa might chat with each other, & the people on the other sofa will chat with each other, & the people sitting around on the floor or random chairs will join in with whichever convo they feel like. Meanwhile people would have gone into the kitchen to grab snacks or make coffee & will have a natter while they're there) but eventually people will join in with each other's convos & it'll all be one big mass again. Even then though we'll vary it a bit - the PS2'll come out & we'll have a go on the dance mat or eyetoy, or we'll have a go at pwning each other at Twister or Trivial Pursuit, or watch some random funnies that got DLed from the net.

If it's a party where you don't really know many people, & you're all in little groups, I can see that getting boring - you have to keep making small talk with strangers, & when you feel like moving to a different group you feel like you're butting in. Also everyone's trying to look cool so they're too self conscious to really enjoy themselves - can't do that when you know each other really well cos everyone can remember (& list on the spot) your embarrassing moments.

BTW, I have that music/talking problem too. I have real trouble making out what someone is saying unless they're speaking clearly.
  • Options
    I'm kind of getting mixed signals here, almost all of you are saying that it simply wasn't the thing I like and nothing's "wrong" with me, and then you practically say that you can't think of anyone who'd not like that kind of thing.

I knew about 2-3 people, plus a couple more that I'd only met once before (in total there were about 15). But I couldn't hear what anyone was saying unless I practically had my ear right next to their mouth.
    bluewisdom wrote:
    the overall impression I get from your posts is that you have social difficulties. It's not only about shyness, it's about feeling inadequate in social situations, like not fitting in. I think you really need to address these difficulties if you want to be happy.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Thing is, I don't really know what to do about it. Whenever I try to "make contact", either it will work quite a bit but not perfectly (like in most cases when me and some others go for coffee etc) or not at all (like Friday night). Many times I feel like I'm from another planet, because even the few people who seem to have the same interests with me seem to like talking about other things better.
  • Options
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Thing is, I don't really know what to do about it. Whenever I try to "make contact", either it will work quite a bit but not perfectly (like in most cases when me and some others go for coffee etc) or not at all (like Friday night). Many times I feel like I'm from another planet, because even the few people who seem to have the same interests with me seem to like talking about other things better.
    I'll try and not get all psychologist on you, but you sound really anxious around people, which I think relates to an underlying confidence issue. And it's not only in social situations, it's with your family also (from what you've posted before). Like you feel you don't want to be burden to anyone, or that everybody else is doing better than you are... You really need a change of attitude, cause you should never think that! You're smart, you're funny, and you have the kindest of hearts. You should value yourself way way more than you do now. I know it's much easier said than done, which is why I think you could benefit from some counselling, or group psychotherapy maybe. These can really really help if you find the right one, thay have helped so many people! Alternatively, you could try joining a club, or any form of group where the common interest is something you're good at, 'cause that'll help you enter the place with confidence. And then RELAX, just sit back and be yourself, you've got what it takes to fit in, just show it.
    Ok, I'm sorry if I sounded too much like a psychotherapist but sometimes I can't help myself. :blush: Feel free to PM me if you want. :)
  • Options
    When I get bored at parties I just get drunk and find out ways how to wreck people's heads.

But saying as you don't drink, I just have to say that maybe it's just wasn't your scene at the time. Maybe join a group on the internet and get a load of people together to play games?
  • Options
    I began to psycho-analyse myself, as I do sometimes,
    that sounds like fun. you should teach me to do that. :):p

at the end of the day, it sounds to me like it just wasn't 'your cup of tea.'

tho' may be you were misplaced in time? - but then it would depend on how people are supposed to act for the age they are, and is there really a norm for that?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    you sound really anxious around people, which I think relates to an underlying confidence issue. And it's not only in social situations, it's with your family also (from what you've posted before). Like you feel you don't want to be burden to anyone, or that everybody else is doing better than you are. You really need a change of attitude, cause you should never think that!
    I think that's a fair thing to say... except maybe the part about my family. What posts are you talking about?
    In any case, when others do the things they like because they've found people to do them with, then yes, I do consider them to be doing better than me. You're not going to say that's wrong, do you?
    You're smart, you're funny, and you have the kindest of hearts.
    I might be smart, but I'm also slow. I might be able to think something through better than others can (although I'm not sure about this) but it also takes me much more time to think what others think right away. And that's not helping. As for "funny", what exactly do you find funny? And the heart comment, I'm not sure about either and to be honest I think it's one of the things that you can never judge yourself correctly for.
    You should value yourself way way more than you do now. I know it's much easier said than done, which is why I think you could benefit from some counselling, or group psychotherapy maybe. These can really really help if you find the right one, thay have helped so many people!
    There are a number of reasons that I can't, money issues being one of them.
    Alternatively, you could try joining a club, or any form of group where the common interest is something you're good at
    I don't know of any way to find any, and I've looked.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    that sounds like fun. you should teach me to do that. :):p
    Just keep asking yourself "why". Don't let her just think "Oh, I'm feeling this way" but try to understand why you feel that way. And what led to that, and so on. Keep digging deeper and deeper, as best as you can. That's what I try to do.
  • Options
    I've just spent ages replying to this thread but bloody PC just decided to turn itself off!! :mad: :mad: :mad: But well, here we go agian..
    I think that's a fair thing to say... except maybe the part about my family. What posts are you talking about?
    I'm sorry if i offended you with that comment, I never intended to. What I meant were some posts you have made about wanting to leave your mother's house but not being able to for reasons I certainly don't know about, but in which I sensed a lack of confidence to do what you have to do for yourself. Of course, I may have assumed too much and be waaaaayy off. If that's the case I'm sorry.
    I might be smart, but I'm also slow. I might be able to think something through better than others can (although I'm not sure about this) but it also takes me much more time to think what others think right away. And that's not helping. As for "funny", what exactly do you find funny? And the heart comment, I'm not sure about either and to be honest I think it's one of the things that you can never judge yourself correctly for.
    Well, for starters you could learn to take a compliment instead of analysing it :p . If I say you are smart, funny and kind hearted it's beacuse I think you are smart, funny and kind hearted. I don't need any additional information on this, it's what I can see from reading your posts. So just pride yourself on the fact that you can be (already are!) all those things - at least on a message board. They are a part of who you are, period.
    There are a number of reasons that I can't, money issues being one of them.
    That seems to be a barrier for a lot of people, isn't it? I can't really help you there as it depends on the resources available in your city. If you're serious about it you can sometimes find places that aren't so expensive as one might think beforehand though. Just as an idea, if you haven't looked in it before, don't they offer that kind of help for students in your University?
    I don't know of any way to find any, and I've looked.
    That's a shame then. I really don't know what to advise here, just to keep you eyes open? (lame, I know..:blush: )

I had written a long conclusion here last time which I won't be able to reproduce, but basically it said something like I'm saying all these things because I would like to see you happy, and that I think you could use a general change of attitude in your life, I mean really going after the things you want. You want to move out of your mother's house? Do it! Don't have enough money? Get a job! Not enough? Borrow off someone... Feel bad about your father spending money on you? DON'T! You've all the right in the world to have the things you need to make you happy. I remember a post you made once about how you put everyone else's needs before your own. Well, it's time to put yours in front then! Forget about others for now, do what you have to do!

Ok, those were the ramblings more or less... Just hope any of it can be of use to you. Good luck.