Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cleaning a laptop fan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
good or bad idea?

how is it done?

mines just begun making quite strange noises, and a few mins ago some dust fell out of it, it also smells kinda funny like electricy, cant explain.

would it be ok to hoover it without opening it up? while turned off of course. or would i need to operate (open it up)?

dont want to leave it till it stops working as i cant afford a new fan or laptop, i'll be a big buggered without my laptop too

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    You can try a hoover on the vent, or use a clean paintbrush if you can get to it. Do Not open up the laptop unless you know what your are doing, laptops are a little different from a desktop PC. If there is a smell from it, chances are the dust could be burning. Another sign is if its starting to make a noise then the fan could be on its way out.
  • Options
    Hoover on the fan. With the laptop off ;). A little bit of Mr Muscle window cleaner works quite well - but don't be doing it with the laptop on. It has to evaporate completely before powering back up.

Feel free to pop it over if you can't sort it and don't feel comfortable getting into the innards. :)
  • Options
    oo i did this!!!

Take the part cover the fan off or how ever your going to do it

Then give it a good look get the hoover make sure its a soft end not the big brush at the end and hoover it

its alota of fun :D
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    good or bad idea?

how is it done?

mines just begun making quite strange noises, and a few mins ago some dust fell out of it, it also smells kinda funny like electricy, cant explain.

would it be ok to hoover it without opening it up? while turned off of course. or would i need to operate (open it up)?

dont want to leave it till it stops working as i cant afford a new fan or laptop, i'll be a big buggered without my laptop too

use an ear bud to clean off the dust or a vacuum cleaner to suck it out