Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fat lot of good this will do...

Normal service has resumed to the country. Yes, sadly, Tony Blair returned to the UK yesterday to carry on forever more making the lives of the British people a total misery. He took power back from The Man with No Job, John Prescott and Minister for Terror John Reid, who seems to have spent most of the last two weeks with some creepy, ghost-like figure known as Douglas Alexander.

In the meantime, the Government carried out its latest headline-grabbing move this week. John Prescott brought joy and happiness to the nation by appointing a "Minister for Fitness". Did he really have nothing more important to do? So, who has the Government appointed as the Aerobics Instructor of the nation? Who is now the PE teacher for Great Britain PLC? Er... it's Caroline Flint. (click here) She who only ever seems to get mentioned because a lot of blokes think she's rather cute. (click here)
*prepares to get a bollocking from Sophia for last remark* :p

If this is the best the government can do, it's no wonder 13million in England will be obese. (click here) :( Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, it's original.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    She who only ever seems to get mentioned because a lot of blokes think she's rather cute. (click here)
    Yeah, I would. Oh, and the policy, utter bollocks, but if it means she's on my TV more, I might be willing to let it go. God, you'd think I was deliberately looking for a bollocking.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Normal service has resumed to the country. Yes, sadly, Tony Blair returned to the UK yesterday to carry on forever more making the lives of the British people a total misery. He took power back from The Man with No Job, John Prescott and Minister for Terror John Reid, who seems to have spent most of the last two weeks with some creepy, ghost-like figure known as Douglas Alexander.

In the meantime, the Government carried out its latest headline-grabbing move this week. John Prescott brought joy and happiness to the nation by appointing a "Minister for Fitness". Did he really have nothing more important to do? So, who has the Government appointed as the Aerobics Instructor of the nation? Who is now the PE teacher for Great Britain PLC? Er... it's Caroline Flint. (click here) She who only ever seems to get mentioned because a lot of blokes think she's rather cute. (click here)
    *prepares to get a bollocking from Sophia for last remark* :p

If this is the best the government can do, it's no wonder 13million in England will be obese. (click here) :( Over to you...
    :D yes i laughed when i read of these things ...otherwise i would have cried ....whuich is what i wanted to do ....
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    stargalaxy wrote:

Hmmm quickly following in the steps of the US as far as health and fitness goes I see. I find it amazing that people and governments do not see this as a MAJOR health risk that needs adressing.

Death be to McDonalds!
    Jamie L wrote:
    Hmmm quickly following in the steps of the US as far as health and fitness goes I see. I find it amazing that people and governments do not see this as a MAJOR health risk that needs adressing.

Death be to McDonalds!
    We do it every time. If there's a big problem with anything (be it obesity, teen pregnancies, gun crime, or whatever) we always say "let's see what America is doing to solve the problem." For God's sake, they're in twice as much shit as we are. Why not actually look at a country where every other person isn't an obese, pregnant teen with a gun, and see how they do it. Mini rant over. Oh, and I have no idea whether this particular idea is American or not, just a more general point.
    \
    Jamie L wrote:
    Too right, and one that will not be addressed by a gimmick like this. And downright hypocritical of our government too. John Prescott and Gordon Brown, to name but two, could do with losing a few pounds themselves. Maybe Caroline Flint will whip them into shape first before lecturing the rest of us?
    sophia wrote:
    *Insert outraged feminist indignation here*
    Sorry, can't be arsed. You know what I'd say though.
    You weren't so outraged when I called you a cutie, Sophia! ;)
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Hmm. Well if I wasn't, I am now...
    :lol:

Instead of moaning about men commenting on your looks, why don't you start commenting on how THEY look? John Prescott could certainly do with a beauty tip or two, couldn't he? :p
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Why are we talking about what anyone looks like? How is it relevant in Politics and Debate... Although with comments like that, it's unsurprising that there aren't many women left in P&D; I've certainly long since given up trying to be taken seriously in here.
    One comment about how someone looks does not suddenly mean their views will be ignored. Anybody who looks at it like that obviously doesn't think much of the other people in here.

Right, let's get back on topic. What role do you reckon the Government can play in dealing with the worsening obesity problem?
    Jamie L wrote:
    Death be to McDonalds!

High calorie ready meals stuffed with fat, salt and chemicals are worse than McDonalds given that a lot more people eat them regularly and plenty of people live on them...Tbh even if every McDonalds, KFC and Burger King was shutdown obesity would not decline; it would probably continue to rise. Banning junk food ads or criticising fast food is not going to improve anything (except perhaps the reputation of politicians who can claim they are doing something to cut obesity when all they're really doing is making a lazy and half-hearted gesture).

This is an education thing. Food and finance aren't really covered much in school, that loan sharks like this charging 177% interest are in business shows that. And with food the point is shown by people claiming they cannot afford to eat healthily. (A sack of potatoes and a bag of carrots which will last for a while won't cost any more than a bag of oven chips and a ready meal). And ready meals for what they are aren't cheap at all. Basic stuff like how to cook and simple money stuff should be covered more in schools. But more than anything people need to take responsibility for themselves, or in the case of obese children their lazy parents learn how to cook.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Normal service has resumed to the country. Yes, sadly, Tony Blair returned to the UK yesterday to carry on forever more making the lives of the British people a total misery.
    Absolute pisser. Funny man!
    luke88 wrote:
    Absolute pisser. Funny man!
    It's not funny at all. Do you know of a single person who's happy that this scrounging, useless man is back in the country? It makes me feel miserable, how about you?
    sophia wrote:
    Hmm. Well if I wasn't, I am now. Let's get back to talking about fat people please.

hello, im here :wave: :wave:
    Well, he brought me back some duty free, so I'm quite pleased......
    We do it every time. If there's a big problem with anything (be it obesity, teen pregnancies, gun crime, or whatever) we always say "let's see what America is doing to solve the problem." For God's sake, they're in twice as much shit as we are. Why not actually look at a country where every other person isn't an obese, pregnant teen with a gun, and see how they do it. Mini rant over. Oh, and I have no idea whether this particular idea is American or not, just a more general point.
    what we do every time as well is bring frigging government into it.
    people say they are pissed off with government nterfering ...then blame them for everything thats wrong in the world ...if your fat it's your own fucking problem ...not mine and not the governments ...some people want the government to wipe their arses for them.
    people say they are pissed off with government nterfering ...then blame them for everything thats wrong in the world ...if your fat it's your own fucking problem ...not mine and not the governments ...some people want the government to wipe their arses for them.
    All I want is for a government minister to come out and say "look guys, it's your own fault you're turning into fatties, not us. Eat less and exercise more, for God's sake. Ever heard of personal responsibility? Make Britain thin again!". But there's no votes to be had in encouraging people to do things for themselves, is there?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But there's no votes to be had in encouraging people to do things for themselves, is there?
    i believe there is ...and i think it's growing.
    unfortunately the so called war on terror makes a lot of people believe they need the protective blanket of the faceless bastards who are responsible for scaring you shitless in thye first place.
    i don't want a government telling which bar i can smoke in ...or even what i'm smoking thankyou.
    i don't want a government telling which bar i can smoke in ...or even what i'm smoking thankyou.
    As I say, some things are none of the government's business. If you repealed this kind of legislation, the size of the state would probably go down quite a bit. A small government that spends money sensibly is what's wanted. Spend money on getting hospitals up to scratch, not on a pointless occupation in Iraq after a misbegotten, disastrous war.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Spend money on getting hospitals up to scratch, not on a pointless occupation in Iraq after a misbegotten, disastrous war.

Yes, but see, apparently it costs less if we put half the things the NHS can do better and cheaper out to private firms, and hire Agency in at 3 times the salary when we don't have enough Nurses.

Aghencies are such thieving cunts... fucking put money into encouraging people to work for the NHS... or ban the Agency having ludicrously high wages... I don't blame anyone for going Agency... blame the system that makes it the best thing to do. Are you going to take a job that pays more or less? Simple logic, really.

And as for the private cleaners they have in some hospitals now... well... and the food... it's still appaling, private or not.

Agencies have a place, yes... but why take so much money? It's peoples lives that need saving here, not some menial matter. Hell, half the agency staff don't know which way is up.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As I say, some things are none of the government's business.

Why do think ANY things are the government`s business ?
    But more than anything people need to take responsibility for themselves, or in the case of obese children their lazy parents learn how to cook.

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of people trying to find some bogeyman or scapegoat for fat people. The vast majority are just fat, lazy guzzlers who need to get off their arses. I'm a bit over weight and i know exactly why. I eat a bit too much, i eat too many snacks and i don't get enough exercise. The cause of me being over weight (apart from a bit of lipodistrophy) is me.