Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How i died....well sort of

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i went to the hospital this morning for a tilt test to find out why i've passed out a few times.

A tilt test involves strapping you to a table then tilting you from a lying to a standing position whilse monitoring your heart rate and blood pressure.
well i was about 5 minutes into the test when i passed out - least it works eh!
My blood pressure dropped to zero and my heart stopped for 17 seconds.
Of course i wasnt aware of what was happening at the time because i was unconsious. i feel like crap now though and i could barely move without feeling ill for a couple of hours afterwards.

Just thought i'd share. Tilt tests suck :(

Comments

• Options
    Sounds scary :eek2: Hope you're feeling alright now
  • Options
    Feeling a bit better thanks, think a good nights sleep will do me a world of good.
    It was rather scary coming to, i was stood up with 2 people in the room and next thing i know im coming to and theres about 6 people in the room and im laid down :nervous:
    Glad i wont have to do it again now!
    I'm still rather worried though as ive been told because my heart stopped for so long its prety serious and theres a chance i might need a pace maker. (wtf) im only 22 - surely this would make me the youngest person in history to ever have one fitted?
    I'm hoping things wont come to that however and the consultant i spoke to today said it was unlikely i would need one as the 'dizzy' episodes are very rare and have only happened like twice in the last 4 years, so i guess thats a little glimmer of light
  • Options
    One of my worst nightmares is fainting. Did they tell you that you stopped breathing then? :sour:
  • Options
    ive no idea if i stopped breathing or not, im guessing not as my heart stopped and my blood pressure was 0. tbh fainting is not that scary, you just feel a bit dizzy then next thing you just wake up on the floor. its horrible for about a day afterwards though as you just have a really sicky feeling and you have no energy at all!
  • Options
    Ahhhhh!!! Glad you came thru it!
  • Options
    Might just be me, but wtf number 1 - They let your heart stop?, and wtf number 2 - You are at home after this?
  • Options
    well the test was designed to see how my body reacted in extreme circumstances. Basically to make me faint and record how my body reacted when i did.
    They didnt purposely let it stop i dont think, i was told that sometimes people faint during the test, sometimes they dont. the 17 seconds was from the recording, so give a second or two for them to notice i'd passed out then 15 seconds for them to lower the table back to a lying position and for them to get my blood pressure back to normal and my heart beating again - dont think they actually did anything except change my position really.
    i must admit the thread title is a bit of a lie as i asked and aparently i 'didnt die'. i suppose o should have asked but i always thought that if your heart stops you are dead? maybe not.
  • Options
    Fainting and your heart stopping are vastly different though!
    icey wrote:
    give a second or two for them to notice i'd passed out

:eek: Your heart rate/BP don't just go from perfectly normal to zilch. Presumably they could see it dropping?
  • Options
    mine did. its something to do with the blood flow throughout the body. when people faint its because its not being passed around correctly which is why the body trys to make its self flat (by making the person fall over).
    So when i was put under this test my body wanted to lie flat and recover only it couldnt because it was strapped to a table so they could monitor me more.
  • Options
    Sounds scary... hope you are okay :)
  • Options
    Hope your ok. Sounds scary and werid
  • Options
    what did the test prove you have?
  • Options
    its not a disease or anything theres just a problem with the blood flowing around my body from head to foot so sometimes if im stood still for a while all the blood will not flow properly then when i move theres not enough blood in my head or something which causes me to pass out.
    I'm not 100% sure whats wrong tbh because i was a bit out of it when it was being explained to me. im going back next week for a consultation on what needs to be done anyway. worst case scenario - pacemaker, best case scenario - nothing except take steps to avoid it happening
  • Options
    If you did get a pace maker you wouldn't be the youngest, mate of mine has had his since he was 14, and once its in you forget its there pretty much, solved a lot of problems for him.
  • Options
    Hope you got good advice from your consultant. Not sure really if I should be posting this on such a website but you sounded pretty upset. I actually work in tilt testing (I have a PhD in it!) so I do know what I'm talking about - honest gov! I came across your post as I was actually searching the net for something on a tilt test manual I'm doing for some training.

People's heart's slowing (bradycardia) or stopping (known as asystole) is not so uncommon during tilt tests, particularly if it is a mechanical table which takes some time to get you back flat. We use a manual table which gets you flat much quicker and we has less incidences of asystole than other hospitals who use an automatic table.
    Most patients blood pressure and / or heart rate falls slow enough that they can stop you going all the way out, but some times some patients go so fast that it is impossible to stop it even with our manual table. The longest I've seen is about 50 seconds and I think my heart stopped for about 30 of those!:eek:
    Whether or not to have a pacemaker? Not such an easy question...some cardiologists will stick one in you quicker than you can say vasovagal syncope (the fancy term for your fainting) however, most of the evidence suggests that this will not actually stop you fainting. It may stop you going all the way out but you may end up with what is known as presyncope (the horrible dizziness, nausea and generally feeling crap you get just before you faint), so whereas before you might have had a bit of warning passed out and then got on with things you get the warning for a prolonged period without passing out...because the pacemaker will stop your heart rate slowing but will not stop your blood pressure falling. However, if you have had an ECG (where they stick lots of sticker on your chest) that has shown you have a conduction problem with your heart then a pacemaker could save your life....this is why I was reluctant to give too much advice without knowing everything about your medical history.
    What they should have told you to do is take plenty of salt (against goverment guidelines I know - but it is fine as long as your blood pressure is OK) and increase the amount of fluids (Non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated) you have. The key issue is hydration so if you've been ill - fever, D&V you need to increase your fluids, if its hot out, if you're flying, after exercise etc. Also be careful if you're drinking alcohol because this dehydrates you and also helps the blood go into your feet. Try not to stand astill for too long and if you have to stand with your legs crossed and periodically tense and relax your leg muscles which helps get the blood back up to your heart and head.

Anyway sorry to write an epic but I hope this helps reassure you. This advice works in the majority of our patients and hopefully it will for you.
    If you need any more info (although I've probably said more than enough) post your email address and I'll write off forum.
    Vic
  • Options
    Thank you, this is a great help. I did have to have an ECG but they gave me that before the day of the tilt test and it came back fine. They put those sticky things on me and monitored my heart whilst they did the tilt test though i guess that is normal?
    As the fainting is a very rare occurrence for me i dont think its very nessesary having a pacemaker fitted especially as one doctor reccomended it be done but another said he didnt think it would benefit me.
    Thanks again its really great to actually hear from someone who knows the procedure and can offer advice on the situation :thumb:

ETA: Welcome to thesite btw :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Fucking hell mate, sounds a bit west. Take care of yourself. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm suprised you're even out in the world - I'd have thought they'd have admitted you there and then for observation.

Funnily enough I was thinking of heart problems last night after watching an Episode of StarTrek - Enterprise, one of the actresses on the show was well young and had an undiagnoised heart problem and died - of course you've had warning signs so I'm sure you'll be fine..

Guess you better take care of yourself and stay away from Alton Towers.
  • Options
    No problem..yes they do put the stickers on during the test...that's how they know that your heart stopped. Despite what DiamondGeezer said it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your heart. Its the nerve that controls the rate sends too strong a signal to slow down for some unknown reason...there's been a lot of research and they still don't really know why....so you should be fine at Alton Towers!