Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clearance placements.

Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok so I spent today at BCUC (Buckinghamshire Chilterns), inquiring about a clearance placement on a foundation course, the problem is... I need to get referances and I'm not sure wether or not I'll be able to get them in time to get my application off. =\

Also, just wondering how uni's normally confirm/deny an application, and what my chances of getting into Halls are, as I can hardly commute from Enfield 4 days a week :p

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you phone them up and ask...
  • Options
    yeh give em a ring! i went through clearing last year and got a place in halls :)
  • Options
    There should be halls available. No uni ever has all the accomidation filled up. Granted it will probably end up the most crappy halls or self catered accomidation but thats usually cheaper.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone ;D

I've got alot of ringing round to do, I'll make sure to give the accomidation people a ring and confirm a place, self catering would probably be better for me as I can be quite fussy :p
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Thanks everyone ;D

I've got alot of ringing round to do, I'll make sure to give the accomidation people a ring and confirm a place, self catering would probably be better for me as I can be quite fussy :p

but can you cook :P
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but can you cook :P
    just about.
  • Options
    i went through clearing last year. it was slightly different cos i was already at a different uni but wanted to do something totally different at a different place but anyway...

i phoned them up on the day, told them my grades and they asked me a few questions and then they basically said i had a place. so i guess thats like whats happened with you? then i had to send them my UCAS form thing, a few days later i had a letter back confirming my place. and that was basically it!

have they specifically asked for references? because i never had to give any in the end, on the UCAS form id put something like 'will send direct to instituion' but in the end they didnt ask. im sure the uni will be quite flexible though.. you could send the UCAS slip thing off anyway and include a covering letter saying when you'll get the reference to them. ring and check too though.

as for halls, i was told i couldnt have a place so i found a shared house but after the first couple of weeks of uni there are always spare rooms.
  • Options
    On the uni application form it has a page specificly for the referee to write a referance. I'm going to go back to BCUC on monday afternoon to hand in my app. After I've got the consent of the referee.
  • Options
    Wow that sounds very exciting.

Even if you dont' get a place in halls the accomodation office will probably help you hook up with other people who are in the same situation as you to live in a shared house.

I think self catering is a better option anyway as your not limited to meal times (at my uni the people who were in halls had to eat so early like 6 and lectures didn't finish until 7) and i can nearly always cook nicer food than you get in a restaurant let alone in a university hall.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote:

Even if you dont' get a place in halls the accomodation office will probably help you hook up with other people who are in the same situation as you to live in a shared house.

:yes: and there's a good chance that places in halls will become available a bit later on in the term if you had a shared flat but later decided you'd be better off in halls.
  • Options
    This is quite random, but I used to live really near their Wycombe campus. Aaaaah... memories.

Good luck, Pirate. I think their halls are all right, but I wouldn't mind betting (if there's a choice) that you're better in Chalfont than Wycombe.

Student accommodation in the South Bucks area is going to be a bit hard to come by so get some advice from the college and start looking early :)
  • Options
    I got in ;D

Gonna put a deposit down on this AMAZING place I saw today, 4 bedrooms, each one bigger than the last :p

£66.50 a week, excluding bills... So not too bad.
  • Options
    well done you :thumb:
  • Options
    Coolio :D
  • Options
    Cheers guys :D
  • Options
    I forget to say well done to you yesterday, so I'll say it now. Well done on getting a place.