Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meditation useful?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So....I had a hard month. I'm trying to get on with it since everytime I get heavily stressed, my grades at college get lower. A friend of mine suggested meditation. After searching over the net, I found this article, but not more information.

Do you guys meditate? Does it work for you?

Comments

• Options
    I meditate in the form of yoga. Its somethng I have done for a few years now and at times of great stress in my life I find it greatly useful. However it doesnt always work for everyone. My best friend tryed it and found it did not suit her.

Give it a try. But remember there are various forms of meditiation so dont just try one and think that its not for you.
  • Options
    Just as the person above said, it's worth a try. Meditation has helped me start to overcome a lot of my anxieties. I started about four months ago when I felt such a prisoner of my own thoughts, I had no idea what i was feeling and was super-critical of myself, my work and life.

I practice for about 15mins each morning and it helps me to slow down a bit, realise when i'm stressed out and not get even more stressed out about being stressed out, and sometimes helps me work out what my fears and anxieties are all about.
    That said, I find it extremely difficult some days, it certain doesn't produce a 'quick cure,' but it's given me a new self-respect and something that i'm prepared to keep on doing in the future.

There are lots of meditation centres all over the country, just go along for a session and see what it's like.

Might also be worth speaking your GP if only for emotional support?
  • Options
    You could also check out http://www.brahmakumaris.org.uk/
    it's the organisation that first helped me get into it
  • Options
    I've just started meditating in the mornings. Since i've only been doing it a week I can't claim to be an expert, but it does help me to chill out a bit before getting on with my day. I simply sit on a cushion and concentrate on my breath, but wouldn't mind learning some of the yoga side to it either.

If it helps i'm borrowing a book called "meditation for dummies" from a friend. Its an ok introduction, and gives tips on different types of things you can meditate on. But its the only book i've read on the subject so can't compare it to anything else, for all I know it could be rubbish! :grump:
  • Options
    they are very usefull, but. i have try it my self. but i need more time. i think we must have a good concentration for it