Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

accomodation for uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
got my accomodation through today for uni, and what ive been given wasnt one of my choices. and it looks like its about 2 miles away from my campus.

just looking for reassurance that there will be people there still who will be on the same campus as me just so i dont have to walk everyday back and forth by myself really, bit daunting!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fresher? Ah, there will be lots of people in the same situation and probably worrying (unnessecarily) about the same thing. There will likely be a bus going straight to the campus and first morning you'll be joined by lots of other equally unsure people :) A nice way to get chatting to people though, hehe.
    i wasnt put into my choice of accomodation, i was put into rented flats, but there were plenty of other freshers who had been put there too and also people from the college and a group of second years. i loved it there and met a whole different range of people, rather than just first years. they'll be plenty of people in your situation :)
    If its uni accomodation then there will be loads of other people there, and most if not all of those people will be studying on the campus, just like you. Try not to fret, put your time into finding out what its got and what you need to take, get some milk, tea bags, coffee, a bottle of wine and a corkscrew and open your door when you get there and invite random passers by in for a drink.
    a bottle of wine and a corkscrew and open your door when you get there and invite random passers by in for a drink.

yup defiently gonna do that anyway

was thinking about custard creams aswell!! :yum:
    Get a bike, its the perfect distance, that way you dont have to rely on public transport (or any infrequent buses the uni might put on), you'll get fit and as long as you're not totally plastered you can ride home from the pub.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    For my first year of uni the halls were 5 miles away from the uni itself - it was the site where all the first years go.

The uni ran buses every 20 minutes (every 10 during busy times) and they were always seen as a meeting point in the morning.

Don't worry bout it.
    im ok now. just first nerves i think had already settled myself in my head im one of my choices.

apparently according to the letter though i have a double bed!!
    You did well there, especially as all uni single beds seem to be smaller than normal ones!

Custard creams are an equally good plan, as is a door wedge to keep your stupid fire door slef closing thingy open.

Bikes can definitely be the way to go, at my uni practically everyone has one and goes everywhere on it, however I know at others it's almost unheard of. May be worth sussing out the teritory before taking a bike down.
    I sounds good. A little bit of distance from uni is good so when you are getting stressed about university work or falling out with your lecturers or whatever you can "escape" by going home to your building rater than being trapped on campus.
    budda wrote:
    Get a bike

Not if it's Bristol and full of hilariously steep hills.
    Assuming I get my place in Bristol city centre, (I'm still sorting this out at the moment) I would be about four miles away from the campus I would be studying. I'm not fussed at all about it.