Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TheSite.org book club

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can I nominate

Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night

and seeing as it provoked so much debate in the other thread

The catcher in the rye by JD Salinger.

Also do you think it might be useful if everyone does a little synopsis of the books they nominate as that would make it easier to know which one to vote for.

ETA - i realise i didn't actually go with my suggestion of classics as I'm a bit crap at reading them and I want someont to suggest one and therefore force me to read it!
    Or provide a link to it on Amazon? They review them on there.
    \
    I'm definitely in :)
    think the idea of a blurb or link about the book so we can vote is a good idea too.
    cant think of one to nominate myself right now but if i think of one, I will
    i'm in.
    since leaving uni i havn't got into a good book. no suggestions as of yet. i have ordered on amazon - The Art of Always Being Right: 38 Ways of Winning When You Are Defeated by Arthur Schopenhauer but is yet to arrive. sounds excellent.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Jim V wrote:
    Okay well I nominate -

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime - because it sounds interesting and I never got round to reading it.

I'm quite interested in this too. Apparently there's also a follow-up by the same author (or it might be the follow-up to another book, I forget.)
    briggi wrote:
    I'm really, really enjoying it, I expected it to be an interesting but not actually "entertaining" read - given the subject matter - but, it is. I'm tearing through it, too, which is why it's potentially a good choice for a book club. Though I suppose that depends on whether it grabs you from the start (or not), if you're interested in the philosophical points it raises and also The Middle Passage generally in historical terms.

I agree completely about the characterisation, in particular Calhoun is just so well-developed as a character/narrator without being one of those annoyingly perfect protagonists I can't stand to read about or get involved in caring about. That is what's gripped me, and the fantastic characters were the point on which it was "sold" to me as my next read by the friend I borrowed it from.

I hadn't thought about Singapore, I'm surprised I didn't make the link just given the sea-faring theme, but now you mention it I see what you mean. Ooh, I feel like listening to it now :thumb:

Oh its definitley entertaining isn't it, I just read another 50 pages or so ... only meant to take a ten minute break! I especially like the fact that the philosophical/historical aspects are there to be considered if you choose to but aren't so prominent that they confuse the plot.

As soon as Falcon was introduced Singapore came to mind. If only Johnson had him throwing dice along the wharf :(
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I've just been reading reviews about the suggested books on amazon and this one is apparently "full of filthy sex"

Well there is sex in it yes but I wouldn't read it on that basis. Its a VERY confusing novel and can be hard going at times. Its very 60s counter culture so its deliberatley obscure and misleading throughout. Imagine a David Lynch film in a novel...thats probably as close as I can come to explaining it although maybe someone else on the boards who has read it can give a more insightful view. But yes there's sex, drugs, punk rock and a post service :razz:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i'm in.
    since leaving uni i havn't got into a good book. no suggestions as of yet. i have ordered on amazon - The Art of Always Being Right: 38 Ways of Winning When You Are Defeated by Arthur Schopenhauer but is yet to arrive. sounds excellent.

It is quite heavy going. I read it and found it a challenge.
    Catch 22.
    I heartily recommend,

The Cather in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

Quite short, only 180 pages or so. And it's good.
    I'm in. Though I warn you, if I end up getting bored of the book, I wont read it, I'm bd like that. :D
    Kermit wrote:
    Catch 22.

Ohh i've been meaning to re-read this for a while.

I've also been thinking at what point would we start discussing the book as it would be unfair if some people started discussing i before others had finised it, so maybe we should set a rule that if we all decide the book by the 1st of september we can't discuss it on the boards untill the 1st of October. But we should in the last week of september start organising which book to read for october - if that makes any sense.

Also i wondered if the Mods might let us have a book club related chat to kick it off..
    \
    Lol or until the 1st of November when we will start discussing the October book!
    I love book clubs! I'm going to suggest 2 (I can think of sooooo many).

Jeanette Winterson - Oranges are not the Only Fruit because it's my favourite and not enough people have read it!
    Christoper Isherwood - Goodbye to Berlin because I haven't read it!
    \
    Oh :( Well, if you have to choose one, go with Goodby to Berlin, 'cos my copy of Oranges is sooo overread (the cover's fallen off & this is my second copy)!
    \
    Can I vote Emile Zola - Therese Raquin, because I need to read it for college and I have *no* motivation whatsoever.
    I would like to take part. Always have a book on the go, so it would be an interesting thing to do.
    \
    I would be so up for this but I just don't have the dang time. :(
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sophia wrote:

(Oh, and I :heart: Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit too :D )

Ditto - it was one of the books I wrote about for my dissertation :)
    sophia wrote:
    I've read this, and it is very interesting but it's not fiction, I don't know whether people would prefer to stick with fiction...?
    I don't want to read that book anymore now that I read it's reviews (apparently it's not very accurate in parts).

But in general I don't see a problem with non-fiction. Richard and Judy have a biography on their reading list!