Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Headphones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to get new headphones for my ipod as the ones I had have given up and they were shite anyway.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    Home listening? Portable use? Price?
  • Options
    Home listening? Portable use? Price?

Portable use defo. I'm willing to pay fo quality but I don't want ripped off. I'm preferably looking for in-ear phones.
  • Options
    These are very good, from all accounts. I've not touched them, I go for the big, over-the-ear ones as I only use them at home :).
  • Options
    These are very good, from all accounts. I've not touched them, I go for the big, over-the-ear ones as I only use them at home :).

£190! Come on, I could get a whole player for that. Being a student I couldn't justify spending that much on headphones!
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    £190! Come on, I could get a whole player for that. Being a student I couldn't justify spending that much on headphones!

Greatly agreed.

As much as you say you didn't like the iPod ones, if you still have any warranty, you can use their website to order new ones for free - on the condition you send the old ones back and explain why they don't work.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Greatly agreed.

As much as you say you didn't like the iPod ones, if you still have any warranty, you can use their website to order new ones for free - on the condition you send the old ones back and explain why they don't work.

Yea, they're no uner warranty anymore. I really do want new ones though. I don't think the sound is that great on the iPod ones, and they aren't overly comfortable either.
  • Options
    you really cant beat these for price and quality.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/274/354/-/587372/Sennheiser_MX_300_In_Ear_Headphones/Product.html?searchtype=genre&P36=4455H8

they are amazing, and at that price you'd be silly not to take them up.
  • Options
    if you cant justify buying the e4's from shure then try the e2c's i have a pair for when im at work and they are really good and you can pick them up for about £45 on ebay not the 80 quid they say they cost in magazines

also ive heard the sennheiser mx500 are a good cheap and cheerful headphone havent listened to them mind but heard good things about them
  • Options
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Portable use defo. I'm willing to pay fo quality but I don't want ripped off. I'm preferably looking for in-ear phones.
    Addict wrote:

Then answer my questions rather than evade them. You'll get much better advice from me if you give honest answers.

:)
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    you really cant beat these for price and quality.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/274/354/-/587372/Sennheiser_MX_300_In_Ear_Headphones/Product.html?searchtype=genre&P36=4455H8

they are amazing, and at that price you'd be silly not to take them up.

Jesus! Thats cheap for a pair of Sennheiser's! I might just buy them to see what they sound like! I need a new pair for my iPod.
    In terms of DJing you cant beat the quallity of Sennheiser headphones.
  • Options
    http://www.head-fi.org/

Lots of name/model snobbery on there, but a good site if you're really keen on getting some 'quality' :).
  • Options
    Then answer my questions rather than evade them. You'll get much better advice from me if you give honest answers.

:)

Yea, when I said I was willing to pay for quality but not get ripped off I meant I'd be willing to pay like £30 for a decent set as opposed to paying a few quid for a not so decent set. Getting ripped off would be paying £190 in my book!

I hate trying to choose things like these because there's too much choice.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I hate trying to choose things like these because there's too much choice.
    I've heard good things about the Koss Sparkplugs at the top of the link I posted. Only £9.99 as well.
  • Options
    I've heard good things about the Koss Sparkplugs at the top of the link I posted. Only £9.99 as well.

Found them for £5.49 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00081A2DQ/026-1206037-0134821?v=glance&n=560798&s=gateway&v=glance

Mixed reviews.
  • Options
    Good review of the EZEars SX50's on the same website for £23.99. http://www.lordpercy.com/ezears_sx50_review.htm
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Brilliant price for KOSS Sparkplugs! Even on ebay they're usually about £12-14 inc postage.

I can highly reccomend them. I use them on both my MP3 players, and the sound is fantastic. They block out some background sound, and that combined with the fact they're right in your ear, means you don't have to have the volume cranked up to hear them, in fact I use about a quarter to a third of the volume I used to use with the standard earbuds (less volume also means more battery life too). But the WOW factor has to come in the way the sound sounds like it's right in your head, and the bass is deep - like you can almost feel it.

Some people can't get on with them though, as they fit in your ears like ear plugs. I'm used to ear plugs, and find I can wear the Sparkplugs for hours at a time. Gret for a boring day at work, or long journey.
    At the Amazon price, give them a go!
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I want to get new headphones for my ipod as the ones I had have given up and they were shite anyway.

Any recommendations?

I remember ages ago B&Q had some really good ones - judging by the specs on the back and the design
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Yea, when I said I was willing to pay for quality but not get ripped off I meant I'd be willing to pay like £30 for a decent set as opposed to paying a few quid for a not so decent set. Getting ripped off would be paying £190 in my book!

You could spend £6k, £60k, or £600k on a car and not be ripped off. But by the same measure, you could spend £100 on one and be completely ripped off. Just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it is a rip-off. :)

Anything by Sennheiser should be good. Tends to be that the more you spend, the better they are, but even the cheap stuff should be of decent quality. The most important factor, and the one that nobody else can talk to you about, is comfort. What suits my ears won't suit yours. There are products out there that will be comfortable for 95% of people - it's useless if you're in the other 5% ;).

If it were my money, I'd get the cheapest for portable use. Either the Senn 300s or the Koss plugs - neither will be terrible, but both will be different. You could even buy both, and see which you prefer. Other people will upgrade to newer headphones and be able to give you an idea of how other models sound in comparison - you'll have something to base their comments on. Your own benchmark product :).
  • Options
    I've just ordered the Koss 'Spark Plugs' off Amazon. Hopefully they will live up to their reputation. And at that price, it's not as much of a risk as some of the other options. From comments users seem to be very impressed with the sound quality and in particular the bass (which is very important for me).