Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

accepting position

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been bored in my job for quite a while and have been applying for other jobs if i see something interesting.

I went for an interview a few weeks ago and then last week they offered me the job. It wasnt the perfect job so it was a bit of a tough decision but i am so bored and restless in my current one, I decided I would accept the new one. I signed to accept their provisional offer and told my current boss that I am planning to leave. Just waiting now for them to send me a final offer and then hand in my notice for my current job.

Around the time I had applied for the new job, I also applied for another one. It is a job a level above what I do now and I really wasnt expecting I would get anywhere with but just applied for off-chance. Then I got a letter yesterdy saying they want to interview me :eek: I want to attend the interview because this job would be a great opportunity to get a step up in my career (and pays a LOT more too :p )

my question is, if the interview went well and I was offered the job, what would I do about this one I just accepted? can I just withdraw my acceptance or would I be employed by them now and have to give notice and stuff? I know it would really be stuffing them around accepting then changing my mind :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nah even if you're contractually obliged why would the company want to hang onto someone for a month and have to pay them if they're gonna leave? just go for it......don't worry about stuffing them around, one thing i've learned in the world of employment is you have to be a bit of a mercenary and look out for yourself, because nobody else will.......good luck.
    generally, the time you've worked for a company is reflected in the amount of time they will expect you to work a notice period. if you havent even done one days work i can hardly see them asking for a months notice can you? they are not even going to want to hire somebody who hasnt and doesnt want to work for them...
    I think what your asking is what is your relation to the job you have accepted?

As far as I know unless you have signed a contract with your new employer you are not employed by them.

I have worked in 2 companies where people have been appointed but then pulled out again becuase they have got a better offer somewhere else and though its been really annoying for us there hasn't been anything we can do about it.

Therefore i suggest you at least go to the interview for the other job and see how you get on.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    intrepide wrote:

my question is, if the interview went well and I was offered the job, what would I do about this one I just accepted? can I just withdraw my acceptance or would I be employed by them now and have to give notice and stuff? I know it would really be stuffing them around accepting then changing my mind :chin:

Yes, it will cause them some inconvenience - but they'll live :p
    It happened at my old work - someone just didn't turn up on their first day because they'd been offered something better. The boss was a bit peeved, but she just thought "oh well back to the drawing board." the person hadn't even called - just sent an email! and was never contacted again. So wait until you find out if you've got the better job and then just say "thanks but no thanks" to the previous offer - preferably not the day you're supposed to start though ;) It's your future and it's important to try and grab opportunities/chances of happiness when they arise :)

ETA: sorry just seen that Wyetry has written pretty much the same thing above!
    The only people you should care about pissing off are the ones that are likely to give you a reference in the future. If you've never worked for them, then you're hardly going to mention it, are you? It'd probably look worse on your CV if you did work for them for a month then left because you got a better offer.
    thanks guys, I will go for the new interview and then see what happens - it will be good experience for me anyway doing an interview for a position like that.