Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hospital Car park

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the majority of people who use the car parks could have used public transport, but they dont because once youve got a car, thats it, you never use a bus again for some reason.

Sometimes public transport can be just as expensive. (well, it would be if you used alot; not that I do or anything)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Had to go to hospital today, nothing serious, just some blood letting. Knew i'd have to pay for the car park, but £2 for half a f*****g hour ! It's ridiculous. I can park in the city centre for 4 hours for that.

It`s a small price to pay. How else are "we" going to pay for the hospitals,doctors and nurses blah blah blah blah blah blah

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    seeker wrote:
    It`s a small price to pay. How else are "we" going to pay for the hospitals,doctors and nurses blah blah blah blah blah blah

:rolleyes:
    seeker wrote:

Taxes:rolleyes:

And it's hardly a small price to pay if omeone has to go up there alot.
    kaffrin wrote:
    Jimmies car park is actually considerably cheaper that parking in the city centre. Something like £2.50 for 3-4 hours, which I think is pretty reasonable..

I agree, although from what I hear it's a pain to actually find a space there.
    Sofie wrote:
    Taxes:rolleyes:

And it's hardly a small price to pay if omeone has to go up there alot.

Now why didn`t I think of that ?

Apply it to the car park if it`s moral that "the rich" pay more.

Airport type security at the entrance forcing people into a full body and vehicle searches in order to discover who are the wealthiest.

"The poor" would park for free."The richest" would lose their car,at the very least !

"Fair Taxation" the way forward :rolleyes:
    seeker wrote:

Do you think that car park charges fund the nhs?
    Randomgirl wrote:

That's what I was trying to get at, but seeker has totally missed it...:rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote:
    Sometimes public transport can be just as expensive. (well, it would be if you used alot; not that I do or anything)
    Using a bus as and when you need it, is rarely more expensive than owning a car when you take into account petrol ,tax, car parks etc. Unless youre just talking about people who live in rural areas etc. Most people who have cars dont need them, and im damn sure most people who fill up the hospital car parks and then complain about the cost, could have easily just got on a bus. Helps the environment, supports a good cause, and stops clogging up the car parks for people who really need them.
    LeedsLad wrote:
    I agree, although from what I hear it's a pain to actually find a space there.

It used to be, in a fairly major way, but since all the new building work started and they made that big car park round the back, I've never had a problem.

The LGI is worse in all respects, but you can park in any of the city car parks and walk, so I guess at least you have the choice there. If you really wanted to do the same at Jimmies I guess you could park up at Harehills for free and walk, but I'd be placing bets on your car not being there when you got back ;)
    Randomgirl wrote:

No, I don`t THINK that.

I KNOW that stolen money funds the corporation doing business as "the NHS"
    Just a request. Can people stop posting this: :rolleyes: Its doing my head in.
    seeker wrote:
    No, I don`t THINK that.

I KNOW that stolen money funds the corporation doing business as "the NHS"

How do you know that?:confused:
    kaffrin wrote:
    It used to be, in a fairly major way, but since all the new building work started and they made that big car park round the back, I've never had a problem.

The LGI is worse in all respects, but you can park in any of the city car parks and walk, so I guess at least you have the choice there. If you really wanted to do the same at Jimmies I guess you could park up at Harehills for free and walk, but I'd be placing bets on your car not being there when you got back ;)

Sounds like they're getting something right there.

Off topic I know but what are they building? I hope it's not a case of moving more services there from the other hospitals.
    Sofie wrote:
    How do you know that?:confused:

Because he thinks that taxation is theft. We usually ignore his criptic comments because he tries to bring it up in nearly every thread.

He's right on the car parks though. Some of the charge subsidises the NHS.

High charges also stop commuters etc from using the parking spaces. Still doesn't justify it though.
    Really...? :eek:
    Yeah, where else did you think it went?

It doesn't cost that much to maintain/build a car park and it doesn't all go as profit to the people who run it - they pay a percentage to the Trust who "own" the car park...

Whilst I would rather that charges were levied, than money diverted from frontline services, there needs to be exclusions to the charges. Otherwise all you end up doing is stealthily taxing the sick and their relatives.
    Because he thinks that taxation is theft. We usually ignore his criptic comments because he tries to bring it up in nearly every thread.

High charges also stop commuters etc from using the parking spaces. Still doesn't justify it though.

I was surprised ( or maybe I wasn`t ;) ) at some of the posts that expressed disgust at someone offering a service(car park) that could be refused but other posters ( albeit in an alternative thread) were claiming that extortion was justified and MORAL :eek2: :shocking: :eek2: :shocking:

My belief system tells me that a voluntary transaction ( however unsatisfying) is the ONLY moral one. Morality leaves by the quickest exit route when violence enters the room.
    seeker wrote:

PLEASE be quiet now. We're not talking about taxes or what you think of the NHS. We are talking about car parks.

Also, like someone else (can't think who now) we can easily walk to our hospital - it's just up the road. Just when ever we visit, we end up having to take ruddy bag loads of clothes etc, and if theres an appointment, the person we're taking either
    a) can't walk anyway due to age
    b) is heavily medicated from some random thing they've been given to take before hand
    c) is unmedicated when they should be, because of instructions given before hand
    d) is going to come out half an hour later, half asleep and shouldn't be allowed to walk under instruction of the hospital.

Gah.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    PLEASE be quiet now. We're not talking about taxes or what you think of the NHS. We are talking about car parks.

Cognitive dissonance.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Also, like someone else (can't think who now) we can easily walk to our hospital - it's just up the road.

Me. :D