Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why people are selfish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It just seem's that i go out my way to help people - listen to their problems. Try my best for them.

But then when the tables are turned - they can't even be bothered to text me, to assure me everything is okay.

It seems like everyone is out for themselves - and i shouldn't bother to think of other people.

Am i right or wrong on this?

Comments

• Options
    I'd say your right to be pissed off about it, but wrong about people in general being selfish.

You just need new and better friends to be honest. Situations when you need them prove how good friends they are to you.
  • Options
    Maybe you've been a little too selfless in the past. You'd think that was impossible but, believe me, it isn't.

If you give your absolute all to other people and don't keep a little bit of selfishness and self-preservation about you then you will occasionally (or often, possibly) attract users who will be true to their name, use you up and discard you when things start getting better for them. I've found this in the past, though I'd like to point out that it doesn't really apply to your true-blue friends... though most of us will be able to count mates of that calibre on the fingers of one hand.

These are the times you find out who are true friends. You need new'uns.
  • Options
    People are just like that sometimes.

Although they do surprise you sometimes too, me and my ex were texting the other day and we were really quite friendly considering and I really do think we genuinely want each other to be happy, which is nice.

But yeah, I tend to be the opposite really, people are always really concerned about me, but when I ask after people then they're always fine and dandy.

Fuck 'em, mate.
  • Options
    i have to agree with briggi.....iv been too 'selfless' in the past and people have used n abused my trust and i'veended up alone so many times. now im learning to do things for myself, and look out for myself a lil more and giv a 100% to only those who deserve it!
  • Options
    i agree with what has been said above. people dont actually care about each other if they dont know them. they're always thinking "what can this person do for me......?".

never be nice unless you think it will be returned, other wise you'll get your fingers burnt.

i hope you get on ok. (do i really though........?)
  • Options
    never be nice unless you think it will be returned, other wise you'll get your fingers burnt.

Erm, well I can't agree with that!

No one (certainly myself, anyway) is saying don't be nice and care for those around you, it's just important to remember that looking after your own interests and feelings is as vital as protecting and caring about the interests and feelings of those around you. You just need to find the balance, and when you do find friends who care for and support you - remember to accept their help and support graciously and never be put off being a shoulder to cry on by the bad experiences you may've had in the past :)
  • Options
    I think its important to be assertive. Be there for other people if you want to and care about them, but dropping everything for someone who needs you or someone, is pretty much reserved for special friends - for people who you know would do it for you, otherwise tbh, people will just take the piss. Youll get surrounded by drama queens who have no ideas of boundaries.