Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a credit card with a dodgy credit rating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know which cards are most lenient when it comes to credit ratings?

Other than my overdraft occasionally being overdrawn, I have had no debt, although egg refused my application.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Capitalone, Vanquis.

Be good and enjoy ;)
    Provident do one, but the APR starts at about 69.99%. So i'd steer clear of that one. Capital One can be complete asswipes. I had a £250 limnit card with them, and now owe them over £1,000. They're one of the worst companies i've come across for not listening, whacking on charges and 'losing' the letters you send them. Of course, if you pay your bill in full when it comes, the interest won't apply to you.
    As I understand it, a refused application counts against your credit rating, so you need to watch that you don't apply for something you know you can't get.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    As I understand it, a refused application counts against your credit rating, so you need to watch that you don't apply for something you know you can't get.

No, not a refused application - whether or not you are accepted for credit isn't disclosed, all that is recorded is a search.

Searches can have a derogatory effect on your rating when there are a lot of searches on there - They only care about searches in the last 6 months too.

By the way, if you are just using to rebuild your rating and are planning on paying the balance in full each month then the APR is irrelevant as you won't pay interest if you pay the balance.