Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Two Men Chucked Off a Plane for Being Asian, Speaking Arabic and wearing Jackets

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And that justifies what you said how exactly?

Endlessly you disregard other people in this forum because you think they're not as bright as you. It's completely beyond me that you've got away with it for so long, it's particularly bad after such blantant hypocrisy from other parts of the boards.

Anyone else can understand what she's saying. I know exactly what she means, in fact we have an example from recent history, with the IRA the looks a guy speaking with an Irish accent would have got 20 or 30 years ago are exactly the same as a beardy asian guy with a rucksack get now. You however, can't discuss it normally, you have to some how reduce other people to insignificance, to the point they're not worth your time, are you really so insecure yourself?

Your apparent intelligence means very little if you can get over yourself to work on other peoples level, like the other bright sparks that are here do.

At the very least, you can cut back on sinking to common insults and just walk away from your keyboard next time.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    And that justifies what you said how exactly?

I think you'll notice that VV was the one that started flinging insults around
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I know exactly what she means, in fact we have an example from recent history, with the IRA the looks a guy speaking with an Irish accent would have got 20 or 30 years ago are exactly the same as a beardy asian guy with a rucksack get now.

So that makes it right does it? Come on, you're brighter than that.

All I did was ask VV what attire terrorists wore and what they look like on telly. She goes into one about people who chop heads off (by which I guess she means the fundie nutters in Iraq - ignoring of course that the 7/7 bombers and all the people arrested recently were actually British) and asian men with beards. Even though she started off with some crap about white men in the same attire.

So forgive me for not having much patience with idiots.
  • Options
    Oh and don't lecture me about how the Irish were treated in the 70's - I got plenty of crap at school in the 70's for having an Irish name. Thanks.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It is understandable to be wary of two Arabic men wearing thick padded jackets and fussing around on a plane just a week after a major terrorist plot was supposedly foiled. I don't see why people don't get this.

However it is racist - it is judging people purely by skin colour.
    Kermit wrote:
    Hands on heart, how many of you flinched the first time you saw a dark-skinned man on the tube with a rucksack after the bombings?

Yes I did. However I recoginised it for an irrational and slightly racist fear. Therefore I thought about it rationally and didn't get people chucked off trains for having a different skin colour to me.
  • Options
    Somebody asked about profiling. This is why I think it wouldn't work.

If everyone knew that the only people who would be subject to a strict security check would be young males who look Asian or Middle Eastern, the terror cells would find wannabe martyrs from different backgrounds.

Women (have done suicide bombings in Israel), white converts (quite a lot of them around and I would imagine as converts may possibly be more suseptible and more religious), older people, children, etc.

Who knows why those guys haven't come forward and told their story. Why should they? Maybe they just want to get on with their lives. No doubt if they went on TV some people would still be muttering and suspecting.
  • Options
    Well quite. There are white Muslims. There are African Muslims. There are Christian Arabs. Racial profiling for idealogy is nonsensical.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you're scared of all asian men with beards?

WTF? :confused:

You come across as a bit thick tbh.
    What has me being scared of all men with beards got to do with me seeing that there is reason in the way people felt on the plain? If I answered that question, how would it benefit you knowing the anser to something as obscure as that?

Ha ha a bit thick? Well that's your call. I'm actually extremely intelligant. I'd rather come accross as thick, than deliberately rude, sarcastic and closed minded. I could go back to school if I thought I was thick. You couldnt be brought up again to be a decent, respectful open minded adult. If you are these things then it's something you don't show here.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, I read what she said.

"If it were white guys that were doing it and they were wearing the same attire as the terroists, would you then say white people who are scared of them are racist?"

I then asked what "attire" terrorists wear. VV replied "How I imagine them to look like is how they look on TV. Even if they don't look like them in reality, that's how it's been portayed. If I saw someone that fit the descriptiopn, then that's what I will think." implying that she can't think independently of what she she's on telly.

I then asked "How do they look on TV?"

VV replied "typically asian", "usually have facial hair". "I'd imagine them to have a concealing to on, maybe a bag"

Now - given that she started her posts with something about white people wearing the same attire, the only thing she can actually say about attire is carrying a bag...well the only conclusion I can draw is that she hasn't really thought this through very well. Or am I to conclude that VV is now scared of white men carrying bags? Or all asian men with beards carrying bags?
    OK so you didn't get what I meant. There is nothing worng with speaking up and saying "sorry I don't undertsand what you mean, please explain in different terms. I'm at work right now, I shall do it later for you petal.
  • Options
    Blagsta, firstly, no-one saying it's right, just that it's what's going on. It's the way it is. Secondly, you're the one with the record for flinging insults here, and by you're own standards that's how judgements go. Thirdly, I wasn't even born in the 70s, I barely remember the tail end of IRA tension, and I'm older than this site is designed for, maybe you should use your age and experience to help people understand, rather than your standard derisive reactions?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You come across as a bit thick tbh.

And frankly you come across as an arrogant asshole, who unfortunately doesn't have anything to justify his arrogance with. Just a small observation :)
  • Options
    It isn't racist to be scared of someone because they fit a profile.

the skin colour and ethnicity is simply the defining feature, it does not mean that people are scared of them because of their ethnicity.

If all terrorists were from Birmingham people would be scared of brummies acting dodgily.

but as I say, its easier to just call everyone racist than intelligently discuss the matter at hand.
  • Options
    I can see your point Kermit but still think they all over-reacted and it may have been a case of mob mentality.

The two guys concerned did speak to the media and didn't seem that bothered really.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17607948%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=exclusive%2d%2dmalaga%2djet%2dmutiny%2dpair%2ds%2dshock%2dat%2dplane%2dejection-name_page.html

Sorry if this link doesn't work but just go to www.mirror.co.uk
  • Options
    These are the chaps people recon looked like terrorist - they look morelike pop stars

And as for the Arabic - they were speaking Urdu

If you wanna hear some real Arabic being spoken start listen to Queen's bohemian rhapsody - There's a word or two of Arabic in there

39B12229-0228-F652-D416736982D62733.jpg
  • Options
    According to everything I've ever seen or read about muslim suicide bombers they're supposed to shave their entire bodies including their heads so they can go to heaven

So if people on the plane see young Asian men with Loooong hair they should feel safe .. also your average English person is probabaly one of the least likely to know another foreig language so I doubt many would know the differences between Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Panjabi, etc

According to a January 2004 handout, the Department of Homeland Security advises United States border authorities to look out for certain "suicide bomber indicators." They include a "shaved head or short haircut.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/28/opinion/28sperry.html?ex=1280203200&en=4cc1385a47dcdff0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
  • Options
    These are the chaps people recon looked like terrorist - they look morelike pop stars

And as for the Arabic - they were speaking Urdu

If you wanna hear some real Arabic being spoken start listen to Queen's bohemian rhapsody - There's a word or two of Arabic in there

39B12229-0228-F652-D416736982D62733.jpg
    Wasn't they dressed in there religious clothing at the time?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I can see your point Kermit but still think they all over-reacted and it may have been a case of mob mentality.

Oh, I think they did too, but that doesn't mean the reaction is not understandable and it certainly doesn't mean the reaction was racist and bigoted.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, I think they did too, but that doesn't mean the reaction is not understandable and it certainly doesn't mean the reaction was racist and bigoted.

I agree. As much as i reckon the terror threat is from our own governments, you can't blame people for acting on instincts of self-preservation.

Too many rabid anti-racists getting themselves worked up over fuck all, imo.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I agree. As much as i reckon the terror threat is from our own governments, you can't blame people for acting on instincts of self-preservation.

Too many rabid anti-racists getting themselves worked up over fuck all, imo.

Most people fall into line and see sense if one person in the group has the guts to stand up and say something.

People look for leaders and tend to follow whoever puts their will across the strongest ... this is known as "group think"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

It has been attributed to the reason why the first Space Shuttle blew up, cos various people knew the seals on the shuttle were weak spots, but no one wants to be the one that cancels a multi million dollar mission.

I even saw it in the board room of one of the largest companies in the UK ... everyone was too scared to speak out and so people just started to go with the flow ... until I realised if I didn't say something, no one else would .
  • Options
    I apologise for being so short tempered. Its just that seeing the same ignorant bollocks over and over and over again gets a bit wearing. Maybe I need a break from here.
  • Options
    Therefore I thought about it rationally and didn't get people chucked off trains for having a different skin colour to me.

Yes but humanity is quite often irrational.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Wasn't they dressed in there religious clothing at the time?
    >^^^^^^^
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I apologise for being so short tempered. Its just that seeing the same ignorant bollocks over and over and over again gets a bit wearing. Maybe I need a break from here.
    Then take one, I did. Plenty of people have.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have had breaks before. Too much of somthing becomes tedious, annoying and angering.
    You'll be much fresher when you come back.
  • Options
    Back to the topic, although what happened with these guys was a big over reaction, we cannot blame people for being scared. It is human nature to have fear, without fear we wouldn’t survive. Don’t condemn people because they are scared and only doing what comes natural.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    >^^^^^^^

No, they weren't wearing their religious clothing. They were just two guys on a plane people got worked up over.
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    No, they weren't wearing their religious clothing. They were just two guys on a plane people got worked up over.
    They weren't wearing summer cloths though. If you was in Malaga, then you wouldn't be wearing heavy clothing like they were, you would be wearing t shirts.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    They weren't wearing summer cloths though. If you was in Malaga, then you wouldn't be wearing heavy clothing like they were, you would be wearing t shirts.
    Well actually, I was walking around gatwick in trousers and a hoody looking out of place a couple of years ago, because as far as I was concerned the 25-30 was cold compared to the near 40 I'd been living in. It depends what you're used to.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

And to be fair, they were flying back to Manchester where it was probably fairly chilly and rainy if it's been anything like London recently. I know I always wear a pair of trousers and jumper on planes, or at least take one on - the air con can get very chilly.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Back to the topic, although what happened with these guys was a big over reaction, we cannot blame people for being scared. It is human nature to have fear, without fear we wouldn’t survive. Don’t condemn people because they are scared and only doing what comes natural.

Of course. But then, there are rational fears and then the irrational fears. A thinking process can override an irrational fear, which is what we as human beings, the most complex beings in the known universe, can do. Sadly some people get overriden with the irrational fear and are too weak to resist it.

If there was anyone sensible on that plane, the whole thing needn't have happened.

I am sorry, maybe I have too much faith in the human being.