Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Have your parents met their parents?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The "Do you get on with your inlaws?" thread got me thinking..

Have your parents met your boy/girlfriend's parents yet? If yes, how long had you been together and what was the occasion for them meeting?

I've been with my boyfriend just over two years. My dad has met both of his parents and my mum has met his dad, but they've never met formally before*. There was talk of us all going out for a meal for our 21st birthdays (they were within a fortnight of each other), but that never happened and we're now both 22 and a half!

I don't know when or if we're ever going to get them all together for a specific reason... :confused:

* My Dad employs his parents' company to do some engineering work for the company he works for, and one day over a year ago he walked into their company's workshop unannouced and there was a few seconds pause when they all realised who the other was! My mum used to work in a jewellers and his dad went in at Xmas 04 to buy his mum's present - my mum was wearing her name badge and he handed over his credit card with his name on and they both twigged!

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Our parents met for our wedding. They met for the first time at the wedding rehearsal. They didn't get on very well. They are just very different people.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My parents have met his dad. My parents were visiting and his dad came over for poker. They got on well.
    My mum has met his mum. They seemed to like each other but it was some what hard to tell as his mother only speaks Portuguese and my mum only speaks English.
    Yeah, they've met a few times (no special occasions or owt) and seem to get on pretty well. But I do try and shield his parents from mine as much as I can due to my parents being utterly bonkers.
    My parents and his parents would mutually hate each other. I don't think marriage is on the cards so I'm hoping it'll never happen..!

ooh 1000 posts in 4 and a half years...go me!
    my ex boyfriends dad met my step-dad very briefly but that's it.
    We've been together 5 years and no one has officially met anyone, I think my Dad might've met his Mum briefly but I cant really remember.
    They've met his Dad a couple of times when he's been in the country. Bemused is the appropriate word, I think :razz:
    My parents and parents in law regularly go round to each others house for dinner! We have even done things togeather on christmas day.

Having said that they did know each other before we got togeather as I was at school with his sister and all the parents did kind of parenty party things at different stages.

But before i started going out with my husband i dont' think that my parents had officially met any of my boyfriends parents apart from accidentally when picking me up and dropping me off etc.

I would however find it seriously weird of my parents hadn't met my parents in law before i was married. However both my parents and my parents in law are really into making an effort to meet the parents of their childrens partners (even if it means getting on a plane to do it!) and generally trying to get on with them even if on the surface they aren't really the same sort of people - though maybe they have just been lucky that the parents of the other half have also been willing to make the effort.

Crytstal - why don't you organise something random like a bbq or a party or even drinks in a bar for your joint birthdays so it isn't like a big getting the parents to meet thing but that they both might be there.
    When my boyfriend's dad came to give him a lift home he met my mum. They got on but err then we found out he suppots BNP. haha
    no they have never met.
    Well the guy who I have my eye on knows my mum, he's s friend of both of hours and he thinks he's lovely....but she can keep her mitts off :D
    They've met a few times, and apart from at the wedding it wasn't for a special occasion. It was just one of those things- either they'd driven her down to mine on the way somewhere, or I'd been dropped off at hers on the way somewhere.

They got as well as can be expected, they live a couple of hundred miles apart and don't meet often.
    Our parents have never met, we've been together for two years and are engaged! His mum has talked about how its strange they've never met but thats as far as it got!! Think it is abit weird really!
    jesus christ im forever reading questions how i want to read them
    nope, my parents haven't met his - but it is kinda difficult as they live 200 miles apart

my grandparents have only ever met 3 times i think, the wedding and the christenings.
    Nope, but his parents are all the way in South Africa which makes travel a tad difficult
    His mom met my mom when I hit a pool filter in the middle of an interstate.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    no and to be honest i cant really see it happening in the near future! little bit too far.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    no and to be honest i cant really see it happening in the near future! little bit too far.

what about the wedding? dont you want to be in take a break anymore?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    what about the wedding? dont you want to be in take a break anymore?
    its got too far, you can only be in take a break if you have been together since wednesday, conceived a child on the friday and married by the following saturday! do keep up dear!!
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    its got too far, you can only be in take a break if you have been together since wednesday, conceived a child on the friday and married by the following saturday! do keep up dear!!

Isn't that a craig David song? :lol:

To answer the question, my parents and his parents have never met, probably because my parents are not on speaking terms, and they each live bout 250 miles from the other...but me and my boyfriend know them all very well :blush:
    my mum has met his mum and dad. we'd been together 8 months and my mum had taken me to his house before we went on holiday :) they got on well but havent seen each other since.
    our parents are actually very similar so they do get on well. but my dad is very shy and doesnt like meeting new people bless him!
    I've been with my boyfriend for nearly 2 and half years and my Mum only met his parents last month at our graduation ceremony! They all came down the night before and we went to the pub, where my Mum got really pissed and made a show of herself. :D
    only briefly, nothing proper like.

how long's it been?

ooooh, over 4 years now :lol:
    Wow... am I the only one whos parents have not only met each other, but persistently see each other? Never planned or the like, but if either are having some kind of occasion, the other set will be on the invite list, and they'll have a good natter and beep and wave if they drive past etc....