Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hello, my name's.... erm.... er....

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everybody's in the same boat when starting uni and personally I've actually gained a lot of confidence since going, I'm sure a lot of people do.

I went out a lot when I first started and stuck with my friends from halls tightly. Ok, this was the first two weeks and it's taken until the end of my first year to make some really good mates (although my old flatmate is awesome) who I hang around with all the time. You should go down to the student union bar and just mingle, you make friends in university who you'd never usually imagine chilling with.

Just go out, have a few drinks, talk about random crap and get as many numbers as possible.
    Thanks for the many replies on this in the days that I was away working. One particular post comes to mind, that I'd just like to address;
    briggi wrote:
    I know from what you've posted on the boards that you've worked in a couple of different places and so let me just point out that you have experience at this kind of thing already - even though you won't know it. When you start a new job you are thrust into an environment where there is usually one new person (you) and ten, twenty, a hundred people who know each other and are just meeting you. You've always got through that; having to introduce yourself, tell them your hours, what your future plans are etc.
    Hmm... I hadn't thought of that, to be honest. I've only worked in Haven for two seasons, with two very different sets of people. Last year, I kept well away from them, this year, I'm far more likely to be seen getting pissed with them after work. But those stories are for another thread.
    ...hell, knowing you, you'll probably decide you don't like at least 50% within a fortnight...
    Fortnight might be an over-estimate, if my past form is anything to go by. I'm going to try and do things differently this time, though I don't know how I'll keep quiet when I meet that first tosspot.
    I'll be rooting for you... and very angry if you're on here within a week of starting complaining about no friends or similar :thumb:
    You're more likely to face questions about doing the laundry, cooking, and that sort of thing! :p
    What can you cook?
    GoodFella wrote:
    What can you cook?
    I'm very ashamed to say this, but next to nothing is the answer.
    You can boil an egg right?

Well you have some time to get practising .. im like a young Jamie Oliver ...actually no he's a twat .. well i can cook :D yay go me.
    GoodFella wrote:
    It's one of few things I managed to get right, yes.
    You will make good friends with good old Pot Noodle then :D
    GoodFella wrote:

Well you have some time to get practising .. im like a young Jamie Oliver ...actually no he's a twat .. well i can cook :D yay go me.
    Gah. After a whole Christmas of having the Jamie Oliver DVD playing all the time in my work I should be able to cook a fucking hundred Christmas dinners blindfolded with one hand.

My problem is that I have no passion for cooking.
    GoodFella wrote:
    You will make good friends with good old Pot Noodle then :D
    My mum recently told me about when she went to live away for a year whilst she studied at one of the old polytechnics. To this day, she's still unable to look at a can of spaghetti without being reminded of her student days, when she ate the stuff non-stop.

I need to try more varieties of Pot Noodle, then...
    Beef and Tomato and Good Old Chicken and Mushroom are the best ones. :thumb:
    Super noodles could add some variety ... wonderful stuff! But you can learn how to cook pasta and stuff like that dead easy. Pasta is simple to make, sure you'll do fine with that!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'd recommend you invest in a student cookbook.
    GoodFella wrote:
    Super noodles could add some variety ... wonderful stuff! But you can learn how to cook pasta and stuff like that dead easy. Pasta is simple to make, sure you'll do fine with that!
    Well, I already like pasta, so I suppose that's a head start.
    JsT wrote:
    I'd recommend you invest in a student cookbook.
    I second this. The Delia How to Cook books are good too. Some of the recipes are for stuff you could just buy cheaper & readymade in the supermarket, but there's plenty for nice simple foods in there, & even the 'why-don't-you-just-buy-it?' stuff is good for when you're feeling flash or want to impress someone ("Wow, you can make your own bread/custard/pizza/etc?").

Also, re: noodles - don't turn your nose up at the Tesco Value noodles. At 8p they're even cheaper than Supernoodles, & they really are nice. Then again YMMV - I've had people tell me they're not keen on the Tesco ones & prefer Kwik Save noodles (8 or 9p), which I personally hated & found too highly spiced.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    go for uni catering then or get some food down the union :yes:
    stargalaxy wrote:

The thing is, you don't have to be a master chef or something like that. You just need to know how to cook basic things like pasta. Might worth getting a student cook book (if there's such a thing) or something.
    go for cooking simple things. you'd be surprised how easy some stuff is. chinese stir fry, mini roast dinners, fajitas. get a cookbook:p you'll learn dead quick, my flatmate didnt know how to cook pasta when i first met her. she can know cook most of the above.
    You could even start up a student cooking thread or something, and we could build up a guide/factsheet or some kind of resource, that students can look up when they are hungry, and fancy cooking stuff. With varying levels of complexity and cost.

Now thats a good idea for thesite.org
    Or a TheSite recipe book! That would be a good idea.
    Also, re: noodles - don't turn your nose up at the Tesco Value noodles. At 8p they're even cheaper than Supernoodles, & they really are nice. Then again YMMV - I've had people tell me they're not keen on the Tesco ones & prefer Kwik Save noodles (8 or 9p), which I personally hated & found too highly spiced.

I LOVE Tesco value noodles! Cheapest, and seriously the nicest in my honest opinion.

Either way, don't worry about cooking. I couldn't do rice or pasta, when I first began. My flatmates had to jump in and "save" my food whenever I attempted to cook something in the start, but I have now gotten so many compliments for my food, even by those same flatmates who would command me to sit down so they could take care of the cooking. You'll make mistakes, but hey it's all part of the experience when learning how to cook.
    MrG wrote:
    You could even start up a student cooking thread or something, and we could build up a guide/factsheet or some kind of resource, that students can look up when they are hungry, and fancy cooking stuff. With varying levels of complexity and cost.

Now thats a good idea for thesite.org

Didn't we already have one of these a while back?
    pot noodles are horrible. super noodles are the way to go.

don't eat too much pasta you'll get stodgy!
    Sofie wrote:
    Didn't we already have one of these a while back?
    Yep, nicebutdim23 was getting fed-up of me going on about the subject, so she started this thread in reply.
    pot noodles are horrible. super noodles are the way to go.

don't eat too much pasta you'll get stodgy!

Come on lets not start the Pot Noodle vs Super Noodle debate .. we all know Pot Noodles rule the school! :D
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I couldn't do rice or pasta, when I first began. My flatmates had to jump in and "save" my food whenever I attempted to cook something in the start

I can cook but that's a damn good idea of gettin people to do it for me!
    'Erm ...so...I'm grilling this pasta, yeah...and the bacon's in the oven. Am i doing it right?' :razz:

Then again, i'd probably be washin up for a year...
    Eek;

I know durham students are back on october 1st, but a few are back pretty soon, its all scary stuff

Yet all the best to you all