Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Two Men Chucked Off a Plane for Being Asian, Speaking Arabic and wearing Jackets

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know the two are different, but many do not.

I'm not saying the passengers were right to be scared, but it is an understandable reaction.
    I don't think it's racism at all. It's the people who are doing it, if others look like them then your bound to be scared. Terroist could go around in kilts, other nationality/redligion dress, or anything really and if you saw a sterotypical person looking like these, you'd think it.

If it were white guys that were doing it and they were wearing the same attire as the terroists, would you then say white people who are scared of them are racist?
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    On the other hand, the situation reminds me of coming back from Israel 4 or 5 years ago, after experiencing bombs flying everywhere, and we were stood outside school talking and this arabic man was wearing a huuuuuge coat (it was april-may, and I myself have enough middle-eastern blood in me to be cold when everyone is stripping off cause they see two rays of sun) and I went into a panic cause I seriously thought he was going to blow us up.

That's a totally different and understandable situation.

That man wouldn't have just gone through a metal dector to get to the front of the school. And wearing a heavy coat like that would be more suspiscious because it's not as if he's about to board an airconditioned plane or return to cold country like England.

However at the airport the situation is very different, it's a controlled environment and any airport I've been in lately makes everyone remove their coats and put them through an xray machine.
    That's a totally different and understandable situation.

That man wouldn't have just gone through a metal dector to get to the front of the school. And wearing a heavy coat like that would be more suspiscious because it's not as if he's about to board an airconditioned plane or return to cold country like England.

However at the airport the situation is very different, it's a controlled environment and any airport I've been in lately makes everyone remove their coats and put them through an xray machine.
    Well sorry to disapoint you Diamond, if terroist were doing the bombs in certain situations and I was in one of them, regardless of where it was I'd be scared to see someone that looked like a bomber.
    At this moment Iin time I wouldnt get them kciked out but you don't know until you are that situation. Human's number 1 in built priority is to survive and people can do very mad things when they feel scared.
    its understandable to think like that. the reaction was total out of order though.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    ...I'd be scared to see someone that looked like a bomber.

What does a bomber look like? ...

Does this chap look like a bomber?

Timothy_mcveigh.jpgmcveigh2.jpg

He's that guy that planted the Oklahoma Bomb killing 168 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I don't think it's racism at all. It's the people who are doing it, if others look like them then your bound to be scared. Terroist could go around in kilts, other nationality/redligion dress, or anything really and if you saw a sterotypical person looking like these, you'd think it.

If it were white guys that were doing it and they were wearing the same attire as the terroists, would you then say white people who are scared of them are racist?

What attire do terrorists wear? :confused:
    Blagsta wrote:

Maybe something like this ..

life_Jacket.jpg
    Maybe something like this ..

life_Jacket.jpg

hilarious
    Blagsta wrote:
    What does a bomber look like? ...

QUOTE]How I imagine them to look like is how they look on TV. Even if they don't look like them in reality, that's how it's been portayed. If I saw someone that fit the descriptiopn, then that's what I will think.
    How do they look on TV? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    For all the harping on about the "excellent" airport security, the shoebomber, the Libyans and the 9/11 terrorists got through quite easily.

It is understandable to be wary of two Arabic men wearing thick padded jackets and fussing around on a plane just a week after a major terrorist plot was supposedly foiled. I don't see why people don't get this.

Hands on heart, how many of you flinched the first time you saw a dark-skinned man on the tube with a rucksack after the bombings?
    Interestingly enough, it seems that these two innocent men were talking very loudly indeed about it was "the last 30 minutes of their life", as well as acting very suspiciously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5276504.stm
    Kermit wrote:
    For all the harping on about the "excellent" airport security, the shoebomber, the Libyans and the 9/11 terrorists got through quite easily.

It is understandable to be wary of two Arabic men wearing thick padded jackets and fussing around on a plane just a week after a major terrorist plot was supposedly foiled. I don't see why people don't get this.

Hands on heart, how many of you flinched the first time you saw a dark-skinned man on the tube with a rucksack after the bombings?

Well we are of course talking about security today in 2006 not 2001 (as per the 911 example) - it's precisily cos of what happened in the past people should feel safer as they can see security has been tightened up a lot, espacially with the very recent controls on hand luggage, etc

.. the same way car and plane crashes of the past help to make todays cars and planes safer.. People learn form past failings and make improvements.

Why do padded jackets worry you AFTER you know everyone's been security checked and had to remove their jackets and put them through an xray machine?

The only worry is if there's a failing in the security checks or there is an inside person handing them stuff after they've gone through checks and in that case I'd suspect the trouble making passengers more cos they seem to be the ones causing the perfect distraction...

I'd flinch more if I see someone dressed like Ali G who looks more like they'll carry a switch blade with them, not a rucksack.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    Interestingly enough, it seems that these two innocent men were talking very loudly indeed about it was "the last 30 minutes of their life", as well as acting very suspiciously.

If they did, then it was acceptable for the person who understood them and whoever he told to be upset. Not people who didn't understand anything of what they said.
    Kermit wrote:

That story makes no sense,

first everyone is saying they were too quiet and looking at the floor in the terminal .. then someone else says they're joking and mucking around in Arabic about only have 30 minutes to live?

It's like a game of Chinese Whispers.
    Blagsta wrote:
    How do they look on TV? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    typically Asian, are the ones sending videos to us etc and the actually dog's bodies seem to be young guys that are Asian (yes I know there are other races), usually have facial hair (yes i know a lot do). I'd imagine them to have a concealing to on, maybe a bag. Also acting a bit suspicous. Like Kermit said they have got in before. And to be honest, there's always a way for people to get in if they really put their mind to it. There's a price for lots of people.
    I know not so long ago 2 people in 2 weeks escaped out of Crown court in Derby.
    I know a guy tht took 2000 pills in a very strict club once.
    If there's a will there's a way.
    My friend went to Ibiza the saturday after the supposed bombing plans, yes she couldn't take that much in with her but it was no where as strict as she thougt.
    I don't think it was right to kick them off but I have some understanding of why it happened, don't you?

And I'm sure you have seen the tv footage of terroists, the sarcasm does not make you look clever. If you want to continue debating & discussing things with me then don't try to be clever. That's if you want decent answers and respect.
    Everyone's got different opinions Blasta and you always come across rude, sarcastic and arrogant when someone doesn't share your opinion. I'm open to change my opinion much more if you don't try and back me in a corner, as I won't stand for it. My to my amaze, loads of people on here do.
    I'll forget it this once but don't take the piss.
    However justified the perception of a terrorist being arabic at the moment, that doesn't mean that you can't educate yourself a bit on the matter and not jsut believe what the media say.
    Some of the people here use the word asian, some use arabic, some muslim, some islamic.... and they are all generalizations.
    Truth is that we don't know what exactly happened on that plane.
    But if they were chucked off because of the way they looked and seemed to behave, than it's wrong, however much understandable by some.
    One can argue that most of the terrorists are religious. And if these two men were arabic and islamic, then they would not joke about death like that and say "we'll be dead in 30 minutes".

If there was real reason for suspicion, then fine, taking them off the plane however unwarranted was the right thing to do.
    Some people here are implying that it's ok to think that every asian person is a terrorist because all the terrorists shown on TV are looking asian.
    May I remind you that a couple of the people arrested for this supposed bomb plan thing in London were white.

I hope the majority of the muslim community has patience and a broader viewpoint and that they can understand why all this is happening.
    What do people think would happen in the event of "profiling"?

Sure, you can post a picture of Timothy McVeigh on here as if it's a reason not to profile, but let's face it who is the bigger perceived "risk" at the moment - lone killers, or organised groups of Muslims?

It's been said several times in the past, not every Muslim is a terrorist but the current perception is that every terrorist is Muslim and people will, naturally, be jumpy at the moment. We don't have to like the implied racism in that, but we should understand it.
    I know I'd be angry if I was a young male Muslim, just like I know I would if I was a young Irish man in the 70's. It's up the the leaders of these groups to engage in dialogue, violence solves nothing and sometimes it takes many deaths for people to realise this but if there's an eventual solution then it's just a price we must take.
    Thing is that it's not just the Muslim people that can suffer. I've got a few friends that can look like the stereotypical terrorist and if I am seen with them I get dirty looks too. Even though none of use are doing anything wrong. One of my best friends cousins is Saudi Arabian, a wicked lad, loves his football and hip hop, but he's told me about a few incidents when he was called certain names. He is not violent so he didn't respond. But some might.
    I get pissed off when I hear people talking this and that about "asian" people.

But hey, it's the world we live in.
    Life goes on.
    Something that just struck me: Why haven't either of those two told their own story to the media?
    Something that just struck me: Why haven't either of those two told their own story to the media?

$$$$$$$$$$$$
    migpilot wrote:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    ?
    Are you saying they want to get paid to do it?
    ?
    Are you saying they want to get paid to do it?

paid to do what?
    No, I am cynically implying that they were paid off to keep their mouths shut.
    migpilot wrote:
    paid to do what?
    No, I am cynically implying that they were paid off to keep their mouths shut.
    Oh.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    typically Asian, are the ones sending videos to us etc and the actually dog's bodies seem to be young guys that are Asian (yes I know there are other races), usually have facial hair (yes i know a lot do). I'd imagine them to have a concealing to on, maybe a bag. Also acting a bit suspicous. Like Kermit said they have got in before. And to be honest, there's always a way for people to get in if they really put their mind to it. There's a price for lots of people.

So you're scared of all asian men with beards?
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I know not so long ago 2 people in 2 weeks escaped out of Crown court in Derby.
    I know a guy tht took 2000 pills in a very strict club once.
    If there's a will there's a way.
    My friend went to Ibiza the saturday after the supposed bombing plans, yes she couldn't take that much in with her but it was no where as strict as she thougt.
    I don't think it was right to kick them off but I have some understanding of why it happened, don't you?

WTF? :confused:
    VinylVicky wrote:
    And I'm sure you have seen the tv footage of terroists, the sarcasm does not make you look clever. If you want to continue debating & discussing things with me then don't try to be clever. That's if you want decent answers and respect.
    Everyone's got different opinions Blasta and you always come across rude, sarcastic and arrogant when someone doesn't share your opinion. I'm open to change my opinion much more if you don't try and back me in a corner, as I won't stand for it. My to my amaze, loads of people on here do.
    I'll forget it this once but don't take the piss.

You come across as a bit thick tbh.
    On a related note...
    London Eye bosses have apologised to a family from Dubai who were initially stopped from boarding, apparently after being overheard speaking in Arabic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5272812.stm
    Blagsta wrote:
    You come across as a bit thick tbh.

You son of a bitch, after all you just said on that DLA thread. That high horse doesn't suit you to well.

Maybe you should stop being so closed minded and judgemental and actually read what she's saying, you'd find it easier to understand.
    Yes, I read what she said.

"If it were white guys that were doing it and they were wearing the same attire as the terroists, would you then say white people who are scared of them are racist?"

I then asked what "attire" terrorists wear. VV replied "How I imagine them to look like is how they look on TV. Even if they don't look like them in reality, that's how it's been portayed. If I saw someone that fit the descriptiopn, then that's what I will think." implying that she can't think independently of what she she's on telly.

I then asked "How do they look on TV?"

VV replied "typically asian", "usually have facial hair". "I'd imagine them to have a concealing to on, maybe a bag"

Now - given that she started her posts with something about white people wearing the same attire, the only thing she can actually say about attire is carrying a bag...well the only conclusion I can draw is that she hasn't really thought this through very well. Or am I to conclude that VV is now scared of white men carrying bags? Or all asian men with beards carrying bags?