Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Combining Postage on eBay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to post this here, but it seems to be where most eBay threads end up!

I've got lots of books for auction on eBay at the mo. They're due to end tomorrow evening. One person has bid for two books. I'm not all that experienced with selling things on eBay so don't actually offer to combine postage, but I thought it might be a nice thing to do - if only I knew how to do it!

With the new postage rates just coming in, I'm not sure my postage rates will cover the cost of them in the first place, but I'm going to take the books into work tomorrow and use the postage scales there and work out how much they will cost to post.

If they turn out to be enough and the person asks me to combine the postage, how do I request the payment? I know if they don't pay immediately, I'll get an email to send the invoice - could I change it on there? If not, how do I do it? :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you've already stated the postage on your items there is nothing you can do now if the actual postage cost is more, that is changing condition of the auction! You can revise the postage cost when sending invoice but this is for the purpose of combining postage (if user wins 2 or more items).
    Yeah, I know I can't put it UP - if I've got it wrong then that's my fault.

I meant if it's cheaper than I quoted, I'm willing to knock it down as if I can fit the two books into one envelope I'm not using two envelopes so I can knock off the cost of the second envelope, yeah? I just didn't know how to change the invoice or price they pay or whatnot if they pay instantly and before I get chance to send them an email.
    blimey, you're nice. most of my auctions cost less to post than i normally state but i'm still quite happy taking their money.
    Its good to know that there are still pleasant and nice people on ebay :)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    MrG wrote:
    Its good to know that there are still pleasant and nice people on ebay :)

:yes:

I think when you are sending out the invoices you can adjust postage costs on that. Just maybe explain in a friendly email. I'm sure that's what I did in the past.
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

I've just checked the listings again and found that a different person is currently winning three auctions! I'll just wait and see who wins what and then work out the postage costs - having post room responsibilities at work has it's benefits! ;)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

I've just checked the listings again and found that a different person is currently winning three auctions! I'll just wait and see who wins what and then work out the postage costs - having post room responsibilities at work has it's benefits! ;)

Remember that prices have just changed too ;)
    icey wrote:
    blimey, you're nice. most of my auctions cost less to post than i normally state but i'm still quite happy taking their money.
    Well it's mean to be for the packaging too which you could consider to be both the materials you use and the time you spend doing it.

When you buy something on a regular website such as amazon the p & p is usually more than just the postage cost.

But then again on e-bay I always add the p & p cost to the total before deciding whether or not to buy it and I guess most users do the same.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Sorry to post this here, but it seems to be where most eBay threads end up!

I've got lots of books for auction on eBay at the mo. They're due to end tomorrow evening. One person has bid for two books. I'm not all that experienced with selling things on eBay so don't actually offer to combine postage, but I thought it might be a nice thing to do - if only I knew how to do it!

With the new postage rates just coming in, I'm not sure my postage rates will cover the cost of them in the first place, but I'm going to take the books into work tomorrow and use the postage scales there and work out how much they will cost to post.

If they turn out to be enough and the person asks me to combine the postage, how do I request the payment? I know if they don't pay immediately, I'll get an email to send the invoice - could I change it on there? If not, how do I do it? :confused:

That's very nice of you.

If someone does win a few of your items you can email them to tell them to add in a discount when they go through the payment system.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well it's mean to be for the packaging too which you could consider to be both the materials you use and the time you spend doing it.

When you buy something on a regular website such as amazon the p & p is usually more than just the postage cost.

But then again on e-bay I always add the p & p cost to the total before deciding whether or not to buy it and I guess most users do the same.
    yeah, i know i always check before buying. I think its quite funny the tricks some sellers have been using though lately.
    For example, sellings a brand new digital camera for only 99p!! wow! :shocking: P&P £299
    Slightly off topic but are we going to get an eBay forum? I know there was talk of it.
    Slightly off topic but are we going to get an eBay forum? I know there was talk of it.
    There are forums on e-bay itself that make for amusing reading.
    icey wrote:
    brand new digital camera for only 99p!! wow! :shocking: P&P £299

As well as tricking people with the low item price, these people use high postage posts to reduce ebay seller fees (final evaluation fees are based on item price not inclusive of postage).
    It's normally those sneaky types from Asia that do that a lot. Ie. item price is £0.99 and postage is £30. Fuckers.