Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

While the cat`s away ....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Frankly I don't care - a few seconds being cut out of several cartoons aimed at children doesn't strike me as a fundamental blow against artistic integrity.

Now I think that things like this I disagree with

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2302736,00.html

but its bloody stupid to complain about some minor changes which aim to stop smoking being seen as glamorous by young children
    Anti-smoking Nazis should be rounded up along with militant animal rights activists, militant Christians and fair-weather feminists and collectively euthanised.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Anti-smoking Nazis should be rounded up along with militant animal rights activists, militant Christians and fair-weather feminists and collectively euthanised.

:thumb: Roger that.

What a load of wank to be fair. Fuckers, desecrating old cartoons like this. I'd like Lemmy to start a TV show for kids. It'd be ace. It'd be the best.

Well, this just goes to show how far it can go... violence is fine... SMOKING! NOOO! Don't let the kids see smoking. And they still let that pointless drivel like Teletubbies, Tweenies and all that wank on TV. Fuckers.
    \
    i was gonna ask that :)

Well there's fair weather friends, you know people who are around you when they want something or you've got money. only there for the good times. I spose it could be a woman who has feminist views, and pronounces them, for her own good. right on sister :)
    sophia wrote:
    I probably don't want to ask this...but what exactly is a "fairweather feminist"? :confused:

Someone who supports votes for women, but only when its sunny :D
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Fuckers, desecrating old cartoons like this.

Indeed, to tamper with classics like Tom & Jerry and the Flintstones is just wrong...I thought it was enough that kids were indoctrinated with the anti-smoking message from the age of 4 or 5, now they're spoiling old cartoons. Anyway I'll bet plenty of those who watch the classics on Sky aren't even kids. I mean you don't have to be a kid to appreciate them.
    NQA wrote:
    Someone who supports votes for women, but only when its sunny :D

There's a lot about today then :)
    I reckon a fairweather feminist is someone who is happy to accept that now they can expect to have just as good a job prospects as men (ok not in a lot of places, but you know what i mean) is happy that women arent seen as inferior species anymore, glad theyve got the right to work, not be expected to marry by 20 and then give up work to have children, are allowed to vote etc etc etc, but then say in a stupid whiney voice "nahhh I dont really consider myself a feminist, i fink feminists are all butch lesbians and i fink a man should pay for dinner"
    I reckon a fairweather feminist is someone who is happy to accept that now they can expect to have just as good a job prospects as men (ok not in a lot of places, but you know what i mean) is happy that women arent seen as inferior species anymore, glad theyve got the right to work, not be expected to marry by 20 and then give up work to have children, are allowed to vote etc etc etc, but then say in a stupid whiney voice "nahhh I dont really consider myself a feminist, i fink feminists are all butch lesbians and i fink a man should pay for dinner"

Spot on.

Wanting equal rights when it comes to jobs etc. which is absolutely fine by me but still get pissed off if, for example, if you don't buy them drinks or let them go before you at the bar etc.

Does sicken me. I'm all for equal rights and all that but equal does not exclude certain situations like the aforementioned ones.

If Lemmy did a kid's show, I'd so watch it.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    So I'm a "fairweather feminist" because I expect to have the same rights as men have, but still think it's nice that men hold doors open for me?
    I think you'd be a fairweather feminist if you expected men to open doors for you or buy you drinks.
    yeah a bit, but that depends. Do you ever hold a door open for a guy?
    How big a deal is a guy holding a door for you?
    I think a guy should pay for dinner if hes the one that invited you, but if you invite him, then you should pay for him. Its manners.
    If you get to the door first, then you should hold the door.
    To be honest I hold doors open for women, when walking with my wife walk beside on the outside of pavement - does that make me a fairweather feminist?
    it might do, im not sure. i didnt understand a word of what you said.
    sophia wrote:
    So I'm a "fairweather feminist" because I expect to have the same rights as men have, but still think it's nice that men hold doors open for me?

No that's chivalrous. Thinking it's nice is fine. Expecting it is perhaps a little strong but that's the example that people always try me on but then again I open doors for anyone regardless because I'm nice. It's a bit of a grey area.

I'll give you a recent example of an encounter I had with a 'fairweather femanist'.

Twas a weekend in a very bust pub in Winchester. The bar was absolutely crammed. A mate and I had gone to the bar to get drinks and it was 3 people thick all along the bar. We had managed to get to the front somehow and, even though it wasn't strictly our turn, the barman turned to us and asked what we would like. Now were it not busy, I would perhaps wait my turn but considering the time we had been there, every person in the world would want to get served as quickly as possible and get out. I know us Brits are great at queueing but there is a limit.

Anyway, I had just opened my mouth to tell the guy what I wanted when a woman next to me turned to me and half-shouted at me,
    "Oh that's just fucking typical. You served him first just because he's a man (the barman was a guy, obviously). Whatever happened to ladies first?"

I think my mate told her where to stick it and we got our drinks (before her) and headed back to our table where we recounted this tale to our amused group of friends. Then I got wasted I think.
    well she was a just a rude bitch. i dont think feminism comes into it.
    \
    if she had traditional stereotype gender ideas, then she probably wouldnt disrespect a gentleman like that though surely :lol:
    \
    women can be twats too, and it doesnt mean that feminists are bad.
    sophia wrote:
    But hell yes, sure, why ever not, involuntary euthanasia for her and all women like her, militant animal rights activists, christians, and in fact anyone whose ways of looking at the world you don't share. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Slightly misquoted. Yes death for hypocritical feminists. No death for animal rights activists. Just the militant ones. Ie, the ones who commit crimes, hurt people, throw blood over designers etc. Be an activist, but you're not going to endear yourself to people in any way by force and breaking into private property. At least this is what I though until I found out about PETA which is a damned big organisation. All in all, they seem to care more about animals than humans.

I have no problem with Christians whatsoever or indeed anyone of any religious inclination (though, does it make me evil to laugh at TV evangelists?). It would be ignorant and plain retarded of me to hate people on the basis of faith. I'm not that stupid. What I cannot stand are the militant ones; the ones who try to convert you. You have your religion and I heartily respect that. Just don't try and impose it on me. We actually got a Christian group banned from handing out fliers in my Uni hall as so many people got pissed off with it. Still doesn't stop the fuckers hassling you in the street.

Ok, slightly bad example of the double-standards feminist woman. But surely you know what I mean? Surely you know people like this who only advocate and adopt equality when it suits them?
    so would you say youre more of a fan of mediocrity. maybe a light tutting or a sharp intake of breath and an "uhmmm, thats bad" when someone disagrees with something, but never actually doing anything to stand up for what they really believe in?
    \
    Frankly if I'm queing at the bar its busy and someone pushes in front of me I tend to get pissed off as well
    sophia wrote:
    To me that's not hypocritical at all, it's just separating my politics from my personal life.
    So would you consider it hypocritical if you were in favour of cheaper car insurance for women drivers, for example?
    \
    sophia wrote:
    I don't see what's hypocritical about that.
    Because if you're against women being systematically denied or disadvantaged in certain things based purely on their sex, then surely you must also be against women systematically being given advantages in certain things based purely on their sex?
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Why must I?
    Because I thought feminism was about equality for women? About people being judged based on merit, rather than based on your gender? Giving women cheaper car insurance than men is judging women based purely on their gender, rather than on their driving ability and experience. You're assuming that someone is less likely to have a crash (or cause as much damage in any crash they do have) based on whether they have a penis or not.