Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Group booking rule

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going away with my dad for a short weekend for his birthday at the end of september and he told me to have a look on the website of the hotel. It's really nice and brand new, but it said at the bottom that they don't allow single sex groups of more than 4 people. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this odd rule to me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They dont want groups of people getting drunk being noisy etc. Pretty standard rule.
    yup its to stop a bunch of 18-19year old lads (or girls:razz: ) from getting absolutely spannered and trashing the place.

usually the same rule for everywhere that isnt specifically designed for 18-30s. although im sure if 50 70year olds wanted to go it would be fine!
    thought that might be it, but its still a pretty upmarket hotel. So drunken young groups are unlikely to be staying there. But still, seemed a bit odd to just be single sex groups, mixed groups also go and get drunk.
    yup! most places frown on a group booking from people under the age of 21 in order to combat that aswel
    Ballerina wrote:
    thought that might be it, but its still a pretty upmarket hotel. So drunken young groups are unlikely to be staying there. But still, seemed a bit odd to just be single sex groups, mixed groups also go and get drunk.

Yeh but its more likely that a single sex group will be on a lads or a girls holiday.

As for it being an upmarket hotel and not attracting those kind of people, the reason its upmarket and doesnt attract that kind of people is because of the rules in place
    MrG wrote:
    Yeh but its more likely that a single sex group will be on a lads or a girls holiday.

As for it being an upmarket hotel and not attracting those kind of people, the reason its upmarket and doesnt attract that kind of people is because of the rules in place
    well the kind of people they're keeping away are unlikely to be able to afford it in the first place so it seemed a bit strange.
    Ballerina wrote:
    well the kind of people they're keeping away are unlikely to be able to afford it in the first place so it seemed a bit strange.

You would be surprised sometimes
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    its always been the same since i was a nipper. its just to combat trouble, no matter what the price or star rating of the hotel is. and they will be even stricter on it if it is a nice hotel as they want to be certain no such behaviour could occur and therefore upset the guests that have paid a lot of money.
    we've had problems with bookings before with this rule because regularly me and the boys go away for nights, usually after some persuasion they can back down on these rules as they know they'll make enough money. anytime we've been stupid enough to break anything we've paid for it in full in the morning. (we aint very stupid either)

just because its expensive doesnt mean young groups wont go, back in the day when i was 20/21 we regularly used to go for the 4 and 5 star ones, doesnt work out that much if you just going for a night and you know you getting a cracking breakfast.

wouldnt bother these days, and i have more money. hostels for me!
    We've had problems with these rules. Me and four friends went away last year cmaping, 3 boys and 2 girls. We didn't book anywhere as we werent 100% where we were actually going and didnt want to get lost and not get to our campsite and lose our place etc. (Turned out to be a good plan as my friend can't navigate for his life and we ended up 30 miles from where we were supposed to be, but we arrived at our new destination(s) in good time so it was OK!)

Anyway, we were ranging in ages from 16 - 18 (2 16year olds, 2 17 year olds, 1 18 year old) and only on our SEVENTH campsite, in the THIRD village, did we find somewhere that would accept us. And even then they wanted to phone two adults and have them agree to responsibility for us. Luckily, the campsite that let us on was perfect for us, and when we left they even said we'd been a pleasure, so it's just proof that it's a stereotype (we were only told to shut up by other tents/caravans a couple of times in 6 days :thumb:).
    koe_182 wrote:
    stupid (we aint very stupid either)
    :chin:
    It's the places that ban children that get my goat up.
    Kermit wrote:
    yeah i know what you mean. i understand some places, such as honeymoon locations, need to have such bans, but in england...in some cheap hotel, im just not seeing the need myself!
    Kermit wrote:

at work the other day there was a suggestion (or rather an order) in the comments box that we have 'child free shopping days'. :eek2:
    A lot of hotels use it ban stag/hen bookings, as they dont want rowdy/drunk groups staying in the place. Trying to find a hotel to take a booking of
    20-odd stags sometimes can be difficult.