Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anyone not like relationships?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 18 years old, male, and I've never been in a serious relationship. I once agreed to go out with this girl just because I knew it was the only way I could shag her, but that's pretty much it.

I'm "going out" (as in boyfriend, girlfriend) with this girl aged 18. I've known her for 2 years and we've always liked each other and it was fun flirting with her but recently she's asked me out and as soon as I knew she wanted me 100% I kinda lost interest. It always happens.

Is it just because I haven't found the right girl yet?

There's a lot of pressure being 18 and being single. Everyone presumes if you haven't got a girlfriend either you can't get one or you're gay. It's kinda annoying because it's neither of them.

I don't really know what I don't like in a relationship. The only two things I can think of is the "Where are you going?", "When will you be home?" and so on type of messages and knowing that there's no challenge as they want you 100%.

I'm incredibly good at hiding my feelings, and I'm possibly the most emotionless person ever. I could laugh at a funeral if I wanted to. I never cry and I think my lack of emotion is a big part of not wanting a relationship.

It's OK saying, "Fine, don't have a relationship." but when all your mates are saying how amazing it is, you question it. You meet a nice girl and think "Yeah, this is gunna be good." and it's all fun, etc, until I know she wants me and then the interest drops. The drama makes me sick.

The girl I'm seeing at the moment says she has a 2 month rule before she sleeps with anyone. It's so sad and pathetic. I just got intermit with her and made me want me 2 days into the relationship and it just put me right off females. Sure, I like shagging 'em but if I'm honest I'd sooner just have a wank rather than face the before and after bits. It just doesn't interest me.

I try not having a relationship, but it just seems natural to have one. If I'm not close to a girl, or have girls after me, I feel incomplete. It's so fucking weird.

This girl is the most amazing girl ever. She's perfect in every single way. Her sense of humour is just like mine and she's beautiful in an entirely different league but as soon as I knew she wanted me, I just lost interest. Every guy I know would kill to be with her, and tell me I'm the luckiest guy ever.

I really dunno what to do.

If anyone has seen the movie "Alfie", I'd discribe myself just like him without the good looks.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think what happens to you is all that unusual. But i do think you may want to look into why you tend to block your emotions though. We all have emotions, it's just that some people are more in touch with them than others. You'll get interested in having a relationship when you fall in love with someone, but that'll never happen if you don't let yourself.

Plus I think 18 is still quite young, you still have a lot of opportunities of meeting a girl that sweeps you off your feet
  • Options
    How do you fall in love with someone? She's utterly perfect but I don't love her. :no:
  • Options
    How do you fall in love with someone? She's utterly perfect but I don't love her. :no:
    over time and whilst getting to know someone emotionally. u dont have to fall in love, just go with what feels right.
  • Options

There's a lot of pressure being 18 and being single.

I'm only 17 and do find this as well. Slightly different, but earlier this year, I got called 'odd' because at the time I wasn't actually interested in anyone at all.:rolleyes:
    The girl I'm seeing at the moment says she has a 2 month rule before she sleeps with anyone. It's so sad and pathetic. I just got intermit with her and made me want me 2 days into the relationship and it just put me right off females.

Why is it 'sad & pathetic'? In a way, I see her point. I wouldn't go out with someone for a few days then just sleep with them, having only just met them and probably not knowing them all that well.
  • Options
    The girl I'm seeing at the moment says she has a 2 month rule before she sleeps with anyone. It's so sad and pathetic.
    and if she slept with you as soon as she met you you'd probably be complaining what a slut she is...?!
    everyone does whats right for them.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    and if she slept with you as soon as she met you you'd probably be complaining what a slut she is...?!
    everyone does whats right for them.

I was trying to say this, but just didn't. There is much more to a relationship than sleeping with each other.
  • Options
    I get a little like this. I don't mean the sleeping with them then losing interest but i just don't find myself able to stick at relationships. I find i lose interest in the relationship as a whole and find myself getting bored and wanting to be a singleton again. A lot of people find this hard to deal with and lecture me on being 25 and not married with babies. I'm not really that much of an emotional person. I don't cry in public and stuff like that and am a very private person but that's because my mums like that and i seem to have taken this on board and think it's the way to act. Maybe look at what your parents are like?
    I used to get stressed about not being "normal" with regard to relationships but i've stopped bothering now as maybe one day i might meet someone who i love to bits or maybe i might not.
    I think the fact that you're talking about this means that you're not a "lost cause" ;) I wouldn't worry too much but just be careful that you're not cruel or hurting people through your single ways. And just because the girl is perfect and everyone else fancies it doesn't mean you have to want to marry her.
  • Options
    I can't say I'm like this now, but I've felt like this in the past and I HATE drama too. Some people are dramatic enough to put even the most hardcore relationship devotees off, and it's possible that the bad luck you've had with this in your (minimal) past experience has had a huge influence on the way you view the entire concept of coupledom.

It does feel weird to have a relationship, especially if your (successful) experience of them is minimal. I hesitate to say "give it a try" because there's no need for you to try it if it isn't what you want. But it's definitely a big adjustment to go into a relationship and suddenly be getting your end away and having to deal with all the emotional extras - good and bad - that come with having a signifigant other rather than several insignifigant ones.

You don't need to have a relationship, there's nothing wrong with having casual sex as long as you're both aware that that's the craic. I think that with time you'll probably start to value the "before and after bits" more, it comes to a lot of us with age I think. But even if you don't, I don't think it makes you weird... just out of the ordinary, and there's certainly no merit in building relationships just to conform to what your peers are doing and to alter the way they think about you and your behaviour with the opposite sex.

To be honest I'm not sure quite what you're asking. Do you actually want to change your attitude toward relationships, or are you just looking for validation that other people feel like this too? I can assure you that yes, they do.
  • Options
    i totally understand this. i'm a 22 year old girl and sometimes i love being single. i love meeting new people who i'm attracted to, i love the thrill of the chase, the first kiss, the wanting. even though i like a guy and want to be with him, my desires of being with someone else just seem to take over.

but if i actually stick with someone then i do (eventually!) start to develop feelings. its only natural for that to happen. if you get to know someone and spend time with them then you care about them, think about them and then eventually you only want to be with them.
  • Options
    I'm waiting till I leave uni until I get into a relationship. That and I've only ever met 2 girls in my life where I've had more than just "oh I'd do her" feelings.
  • Options
    It's always fun when there's a whim of a chance.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I'm waiting till I leave uni until I get into a relationship. That and I've only ever met 2 girls in my life where I've had more than just "oh I'd do her" feelings.
    Same here. I've had girls that I like, and had fun with, and I've thought, "I'll see how it goes." But it's always ended fairly quickly when I've realised I'm never gonna fall for them properly. The couple of girls I've really liked haven't ever felt the same way so far, but I'm not gonna settle for someone, just for the sake of being in a relationship.

I do understand why people have two month rules and that sort of thing. It's basically saying that they want to be in a relationship with someone before they sleep with them. It's just like saying "if you're not after a proper relationship then don't waste my time," so it'd be pretty shitty to carry on going out with someone who says that, just so you can shag them.
  • Options
    I have been only once in a serious relationship and it sucked. I don't know if it was because of the girl tho...

right now I crave for a rlship, on the other hand I really hat it, when I am restricted in my freedom and I totally don't want to see my g/f 24/7.

I can't say.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    right now I crave for a rlship, on the other hand I really hat it, when I am restricted in my freedom and I totally don't want to see my g/f 24/7.

Think you just need to find yourself a nice, chilled out girl.
  • Options
    Think you just need to find yourself a nice, chilled out girl.

yeah... That's totally my focus group, they are not too easily found tho :l Not one with one of that damn Gucci Bag and fitting Gucci Belt, not one who has her hair dyed blonde and underneath a bit of black. All clones. Where's the one who is a bit more independant, encourages you to go out with your friends (and come along) once in a while, instead of always going out as 2. Where is her, who can be gentle(wo)man as well, and not always expect you to concede in a disagreement. Where is she, who appreciates if you cook for her or do other of those "little things".

*shrugs* oh pardon, I got a bit carried away...
  • Options
    Wouldn't worry too much about it mate, I was pretty much the same until around the age of 22. I think it just takes some people longer to want that kind of thing than others. Some people want that affection, company and security at an earlier age.

I miss a lot of things about being single. I still flirt but its not the same knowing I can't make a move. But if you really click with someone then its worth sacrificing the things you love about being single.

By the way did anyone else think this was hilarious?...
    Sure, I like shagging 'em but if I'm honest I'd sooner just have a wank rather than face the before and after bits.

Someone make it their signature!!!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this alot lately, indeed i posted about it last week, but i think i've worked out my answers now. Firstly, i've only ever known 2 girls who i really found myself wanting to have a long term relationship with, and who I was prepared to devote alot of my spare time and effort to. One didn't wanna know and the other, I admit, I fucked the whole thing up! Both of these were a good few years ago. Since then, when i've been single, i've always convinced myself that what i want most is to get into a proper relationship, settle down etc etc but with every girl i've been involved with since (and some of them have been nice enough) after three dates or whatever I find that I really can't be arsed, I find it infringes on my freedom (i've got alot of hobbies and interests and stuff - busy!) and inevitably i end up either cutting all ties with them or acting all mean and distant until they tell me to get stuffed. And so for years i've found myself getting totally hung up on why i want a relationship (and in all honesty, some sex!) so much, but when it comes to the crunch, i just lose all interest. It's even happening with one girl i know at the moment.
    What i've worked out, is that everything around us, ie peers, our culture etc tells us that we should all be dating, getting in relationships, living happily ever after and that, but at the end of the day it isn't for all of us. For years my best mate has gone out with girls and slept with girls just for the sake of being with someone and now he has been with his current gf for a year and their relationship is a joke. All they do is argue and bicker 24/7 - i've never seen a couple that are so NOT compatible! He's just about admitted to me that he only stays with her for the sake of it and because he don't wanna be single and that. And i just find myself laughing and thinking "Well if that's what you get for trying to stay with someone who there's no chemistry with just because you think you should be in a relationship what's the point". I couldn't stand a week of what he's stood a year of! And he's always taking the mick out of me calling me 'celibate' and stuff, but at the end of the day i'm not bothered anymore - the joke's on him!
    I'm still convinced that one day i will meet a person i seriously wanna be with, but until then i'm not interested in trying to force something out of nothing. And i still spend a scary amount of time daydreaming about it and that (!) but again, no point in forcing anything. And if it doesn't happen for years and i find myself having to admit i'm not to experienced or whatever i don't think i'll be to bothered. At least i will have been true to myself and not wasted half of my free time with the stresses and strains of pointless relationships...!
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Wouldn't worry too much about it mate, I was pretty much the same until around the age of 22. I think it just takes some people longer to want that kind of thing than others. Some people want that affection, company and security at an earlier age.

I miss a lot of things about being single. I still flirt but its not the same knowing I can't make a move. But if you really click with someone then its worth sacrificing the things you love about being single.

yea, you are right... I know people who are married in my age, but on the other hand there are still a lot of virgins and people who never had any real relationship among my friends.

Sometimes it's just really draining if you count up all the rebuffs you got in the past years, compared to the success stories.

being patient is the maxim I suppose.
  • Options
    @LeicesterLuke.

Ugh, just typed a whole post and then made a doodoo and everythings gone: so, once again:

As much as I have an opinion about most issues here, I honestly don't know what to do in your situation. I think if the right girl comes the interest won't fade so quick. You are fascinated with her, that your hobbies will be secondary. Even better: find a girl who shares your hobbies. What is better than going mountainbiking or playing ice hockey with your gal if she's into it?

I need to get to know more girls, definitely. I constantly fall for my female friends until I refrain so much from seeing them until I am ok again. Come to think of it: I don't even want to be with them objectively seen. One is really insane, always shifts blame to you etc. She could prolly really need some psychological help, the other one never speaks her mind, always want it her way, and holds back problems and issues until the big break out.
    I guess I am just feeling lonely. when it's 10pm and I am sitting at home chatting with friends (male), they all ask me what I am up to. It's cold, it's raining, what the heck should I be up to? The best opportunity right now to have a girlfriend, snuggle up, watch a movie, have some tiramisu, pudding, tea, whatever... at least not alone...

But I will patiently wait until Uni. I heard a lot of good things about geting to know people there ( guess it's inevitable ;) ), and among those of course girls as well... Especially because you find a bunch of different interesting girls there, not only the club hoes with and horizont reaching no further than their pushed up tits.
  • Options
    Love a girl who plays hard to get.

Mind you, my friend is like you. He gets on with girls, flirts with them, but isnt really interested in relationships. He just doesn't like them enough, he sees everyone as friends really. Sometimes, admittedly, fit friends he wouldnt mind having sex with! But still friends.

I told him to do what he feels like. :thumb:
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    yeah... That's totally my focus group, they are not too easily found tho :l Not one with one of that damn Gucci Bag and fitting Gucci Belt, not one who has her hair dyed blonde and underneath a bit of black. All clones. Where's the one who is a bit more independant, encourages you to go out with your friends (and come along) once in a while, instead of always going out as 2. Where is her, who can be gentle(wo)man as well, and not always expect you to concede in a disagreement. Where is she, who appreciates if you cook for her or do other of those "little things".

Oh, we do exist...maybe you're more likely to find them at uni - purely because it's such a bigger melting pot than the school/home crowd. Even when I first met my boyfriend and we were at the first, starry-eyed, all lusted-up bit, I'd invite him along to stuff when I'd arranged a pub quiz or whatever with my other friends before he phoned me about going out, and similarly, if we wanted to do something together but couldn't think of what, we were equally as happy going down the pub with his flatmates. A bit of alone-time is essential too, of course, but I've never understood the attitude where there is a couple, the girl has her friends, the boy has his and never should any of them overlap... a recipe for disaster if you ask me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Haha i'm a girl and i'm so like this. I don't shag around but I really don't want a relationship. My friends think I'm mental. I just think I love being selfish and single far too much.
  • Options
    Haha i'm a girl and i'm so like this. I don't shag around but I really don't want a relationship. My friends think I'm mental. I just think I love being selfish and single far too much.

i cant believe you guys. i'd kill for relationship and this whole thing thing seems like one big joke. i find it quite petuerbing that the single most basic thing in life is being talked about like this. i guess its just me.
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    i cant believe you guys. i'd kill for relationship and this whole thing thing seems like one big joke. i find it quite petuerbing that the single most basic thing in life is being talked about like this. i guess its just me.
    What's wrong with not wanting a relationship at this point in our lives?
  • Options

theres nothing wrong with it. i just dont understand why you wouldnt want one. i suppose you always want what you cant have
  • Options

I don't see what's wrong with not wanting a relationship either. I guess most single people probably don't want one because of commitment or something like that?
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    theres nothing wrong with it. i just dont understand why you wouldnt want one. i suppose you always want what you cant have
    Oh don't get me wrong, if the right girl came along, I wouldn't fuck her off because I'm "not after a relationship right now," but I don't believe in just wanting 'a relationship', only wanting to be with someone in particular. And at the moment, there's no in particulars that I want to be with.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I don't see what's wrong with not wanting a relationship either. I guess most single people probably don't want one because of commitment or something like that?

or because they cant get one.
  • Options
    Oh don't get me wrong, if the right girl came along, I wouldn't fuck her off because I'm "not after a relationship right now," but I don't believe in just wanting 'a relationship', only wanting to be with someone in particular. And at the moment, there's no in particulars that I want to be with.

fair enough. i guess i'm just feeling lonely.
  • Options
    Just because I don't want a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship doesn't mean I can't or that I don't have important relationships in my life with family and friends.