Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Two Men Chucked Off a Plane for Being Asian, Speaking Arabic and wearing Jackets

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The biggest threat this country faces is from Arabic Muslim men.

I thought it was supposed to be global warming :eek2:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    [Edited out]
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Anyone who feels apprehensive around Asians/Muslims is a bigot and a tosser.

Why are you conflating the two?

Nobody is suggesting it's a case of race. Rather, it's a case of religion.

Most people are actually capable of distinguishing between Muslims and (say) Sikhs or Hindus.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    Most people are actually capable of distinguishing between Muslims and (say) Sikhs or Hindus.

:lol: you are joking right? i think you put too much faith in the average brit's intelligence, wondering exactly what the bloke sat next to him is hiding under that turban......
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    Why are you conflating the two?

Nobody is suggesting it's a case of race. Rather, it's a case of religion.

You'd be surprised at people's stupidty.

For instance, in this very case they seem to have based their assumption that they were dangerous terrorists on the fact that they spoke Arabic, were the 'right colour' and 'behaved suspiciously'.

Given that some of them can't even tell a paediatrician and a paedophile apart forgive me for doubting their ability to judge correctly.

Not that a full-beard, card-carrying Muslim should arise anyone's suspicions anyway. The day we reach that level we'd better close down shop.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There are a lot of Catholic people with Irish names who would beg to differ.
    Right. And do you think that was justified?

No they are not.

But it's easier to tar them all as racists than deal with the underlying issue here.
    If not racists certainly prejudiced idiots. There are hundreds of thousands of Muslims in this country. Anyone needs to engage only a small proportion of their brain to realise that a) statiscally only a very small minority indeed are would-be bombers b) the chances of encountering two of them after clearing high alert airport security are about as high as Wayne Rooney winning Mastermind.

I'm sorry, there are no two ways about it. This is no different from seeing a black person (at an airport, no less) and assuming they're going to mug you as soon as you go to the toilet, or a white man who is about to mug you/rape you/kill you. It's bigoted, ignorant and prejudiced.

The biggest threat this country faces is from Arabic Muslim men. Being nervous of Arabic Muslim men is therefore understandable. It's not rocket science.
    I'd say far bigger threats, many times over, that you and I as individuals face are being violently attacked by drunken white males on the street or robbed by black crack addicts. Does that justify you being afraid of either group? And at an airport for good measure?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    'behaved suspiciously'

According to reports by the BBC from comments made by someone on the plane. This 'suspicious' behaviour was going to sit down, deciding to sit somewhere else, then deciding that the first place to sit was really for the best. Have they never seen an old lady on the bus ? :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd say far bigger threats, many times over, that you and I as individuals face are being violently attacked by drunken white males on the street or robbed by black crack addicts. Does that justify you being afraid of either group? And at an airport for good measure?

The terrorist threat gets more coverage and I'm not sure about the psychology behind it, but the threat of getting blown up on the plane is a lot more scarier to the human mind than the two mentioned above, even though there's fuck all chance of the former happening.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    According to reports by the BBC from comments made by someone on the plane. This 'suspicious' behaviour was going to sit down, deciding to sit somewhere else, then deciding that the first place to sit was really for the best. Have they never seen an old lady on the bus ? :D

Quite possibily cos the first place they sat down people stared at them, so they moved on and more people stared at them.

or maybe like me they moved around to see all the different planes out of the window
  • Options
    I read this bit from the news report

Heath Schofield, an industrial chemical salesman from Cheshire, who was travelling with his wife and two daughters, Emily, 15, and Isobel, 12, said some passengers had become alarmed by the men's appearance. "We were coming back to Britain with a load of people in flipflops and shorts but the two men were wearing jumpers and leather jackets," he said.

Actually if it was me I'd dress the same way if I was going on a flight from Spain to the UK knowing that the weather in the UK is crap and cold that day... and usually that the airconditioning on the plane is freezing most of the time.

If anything you'd look a right prat coming off the plane on a freezing cold day in England in flip flops and shorts and then making your way home in that kind of outfit.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There is quite a fair bit of anti-Western preaching going on, preaching death. I don't think its all Muslims, or even a majority, but it is there, and it is a problem.

It doesn't justify what happened to these men, but people will be jumpy around funny-looking Islamic men because funny-looking Islamic men have a proven track record of blowing things up.

What the hell is a funny-looking Islamic man????
    Apart from being a defamatory and a racist remark, it's simply stupid!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    What the hell is a funny-looking Islamic man????
    Apart from being a defamatory and a racist remark, it's simply stupid!

Presumably Muslim men wearing coats in the summer, speaking Arabic, checking their watches and changing seats.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

Or, ever been at an airport where they're bording people by rows, gone up to the front of the queue to have a listen for what row they're checkin in now, sit down, realise that they're gonna start checkin in your row soonish so goin to sit nearer to where you'll join the queue, joining the queue at the back, realsie you're the last lot to be boarded anyway so instead of standing for ages you might as well sit down and get back in the queue right at the last minute? Up, down, front, back, chatting to your mate- ooh so suspicious...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Or, ever been at an airport where they're bording people by rows, gone up to the front of the queue to have a listen for what row they're checkin in now, sit down, realise that they're gonna start checkin in your row soonish so goin to sit nearer to where you'll join the queue, joining the queue at the back, realsie you're the last lot to be boarded anyway so instead of standing for ages you might as well sit down and get back in the queue right at the last minute? Up, down, front, back, chatting to your mate- ooh so suspicious...

Yup gotta agree, happened to me loads of times - they say something from the fornt desk and you have to go nearer to hear what they're saying..

If this was on a tube train or something then fair enough but these men along with everyone else had been checked and gone through metal detectors I pressume, etc
    Even if these guys wore jackets and jumpers they'd have been checked anyway through the metal detector.

As it is airport security is such a hassle these days when I fly I don't even wear a belt cos I know the buckle will set off the alarms.

The fact these men aren't wearing shorts could well do with their race, maybe they're not in Spain for a sun tan. Maybe their bodies are naturally able to adapt better to hot climates and so they don't need to resort to wear shorts to keep cool. Their brown skin helps protect them from skin cancer. People aren't all the same - the various races have evolved to suit their natural enviroments and passenger planes have only been around about 50 years - our bodies have taken thousands of years to evolve.

People aren't all the same... people from all over the world are different. When I go to visit relatives of mine that live in Kenya they're shivering whilst I find it's baking hot. When I was on holiday in Spain I was sweating like mad, whilst the locals looked perfectly fine.

The fact is if the captain of the plane took control most of the people would fall into line and seen sense. Instead it looks like the Captain took the easy way out.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ask any woman in the world if she feels comfortable walking through a poorly lit area late at night when there's a guy she doesn't know walking towards her.

He's probably just going to carry on, but what if he doesn't..?
    Personally, if I'm walking somewhere alone at night, I feel uncomfortable if I see ANYONE walking towards me. Doesn't matter if they're male or female, young or old - I automatically start feeling nervous, & watch for them trying anything funny. I would think that is common sense.
  • Options
    Personally, if I'm walking somewhere alone at night, I feel uncomfortable if I see ANYONE walking towards me. Doesn't matter if they're male or female, young or old - I automatically start feeling nervous, & watch for them trying anything funny. I would think that is common sense.

It sounds a bit nuts to me. So if you saw a little old lady hobbling towards you you'd be wary?

Why is everyone scared to walk anywhere. No one walks anywhere any more. I think we should all start walking and then more people would and people wouldn't feel the need to congratulate me just because I'm not scared to go out after dark.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    It sounds a bit nuts to me. So if you saw a little old lady hobbling towards you you'd be wary?

Why is everyone scared to walk anywhere. No one walks anywhere any more. I think we should all start walking and then more people would and people wouldn't feel the need to congratulate me just because I'm not scared to go out after dark.

I walk about after dark, its no big deal really as long as you dont live in one of the rare dodgy parts of the UK. Most places are really quite safe.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But it's easier to tar them all as racists than deal with the underlying issue here.
    No, it's easier to tar all muslems as terrorists than deal with the overwhelming issue here. You're so unashambly racist it's pathetic.
  • Options
    Don't be stupid. You have no idea who you're talking about.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

You obviously live in a nice area, & you're lucky. I've lived here for just over a year now, & in that time there's been 3 fires (of which at least 1 if not 2 were deliberate), some guy burst into a house a few doors down & stabbed someone, a domestic dispute turned violent, & a guy got arrested for what I assume was burglary (I got woken up at 4am by 5 coppers holding him down & him yelling). This is within 1 year, & just in my small section of street (plus probably more I don't know about). Not so easy to avoid the bad areas if you live right in the middle of it. Before that I lived in another town nearby, which was mostly nice, but the town centre was not so great.

I avoid going out after dark, & I always check through the peephole before opening the door. If I don't know the person no way do I open the door.

I might draw the line at feeble old ladies, but TBH I'd still be wary - it's not unknown for criminals to use innocent-looking people as decoys.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Don't be stupid. You have no idea who you're talking about.
    I hope that's aimed at Kermit - they're the one that should take that advice.
  • Options
    No. I'm talking to you.
  • Options
    You obviously live in a nice area, & you're lucky. I've lived here for just over a year now, & in that time there's been 3 fires (of which at least 1 if not 2 were deliberate), some guy burst into a house a few doors down & stabbed someone, a domestic dispute turned violent, & a guy got arrested for what I assume was burglary (I got woken up at 4am by 5 coppers holding him down & him yelling). This is within 1 year, & just in my small section of street (plus probably more I don't know about). Not so easy to avoid the bad areas if you live right in the middle of it. Before that I lived in another town nearby, which was mostly nice, but the town centre was not so great.

I avoid going out after dark, & I always check through the peephole before opening the door. If I don't know the person no way do I open the door.

I might draw the line at feeble old ladies, but TBH I'd still be wary - it's not unknown for criminals to use innocent-looking people as decoys.

I live in a nice area now but for the last 6 years after I left home I lived in some of the shittiest inner city areas of Birmingham. In winter when it's dark at 4:30 you can't really avoid going out and I certainly never allowed fear to force me to stay inside when I was going to meet friends/to work.

Night time doesn't really make a difference, apart from there being fewer people around. I was assaulted in the middle of the day out of the blue, couldn't have done anything to change that.

Maybe the old lady is really a 6 foot mugger dressed up and hunched over.

Anyway, rough things happen everywhere but are usually between people who know each other. There was quite a lot of shootings where I used to live, and while it wasn't great, it didn't particularly affect me as it was to do with drugs/gangs and wasn't going to happen to me.
  • Options
    On this off-topic of wondering around in the dark. For the record, the dark never stopped me, if no-one is going my way, I'll go on my own. Doesn't mean that I'm going to make things worse by going down a dark alley or whatever.
  • Options
    I'm scared to walk alone in the dark. Just last night I had to call up my friend to talk to me while walking up my street as there was a car with dodgy guys inside yelling all kinds of things. And I live in a good part of the city.

Either way, regarding the actual case here - I am in two minds.
    Logically I understand that it was wrong to treat these guys so badly with no evidence etc. On the other hand, the situation reminds me of coming back from Israel 4 or 5 years ago, after experiencing bombs flying everywhere, and we were stood outside school talking and this arabic man was wearing a huuuuuge coat (it was april-may, and I myself have enough middle-eastern blood in me to be cold when everyone is stripping off cause they see two rays of sun) and I went into a panic cause I seriously thought he was going to blow us up.
    Logic and the human mind are two different things. In some cases it's better to be safe than sorry - though the actual point of focuse here should be how they justify not just re-checking the guys but taking them away for further investigation - surely it shows a flaw in security if they find it wasn't good enough the first time.
  • Options
    I think that's well worded.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    On this off-topic of wondering around in the dark. For the record, the dark never stopped me, if no-one is going my way, I'll go on my own. Doesn't mean that I'm going to make things worse by going down a dark alley or whatever.
    The more chance you go in these places, the higher the risk. And take it from me, the after effects are not nice. I used to be very confident, still am but not when it comes to strangers and walking the streets. If I'm ever alone somewhere, even in the day, I panice at everyone walking up behin me, I'm sure I start to get panic attacks It also makes you feel very small, very alone and vey weak after, for a long time.
  • Options
    No, it's easier to tar all muslems as terrorists than deal with the overwhelming issue here. You're so unashambly racist it's pathetic.

What on earth are you on about you silly little smoggy?

Aladdin, no, the actions once the men were off the plane were not justified. But if passengers were reporting suspicious behaviour the men should have been removed and searched. The police would not have been doing their job if the suspicious behaviour was not investigated.

The men were treated badly, but in the current climate I cannot blame the passengers for being scared. And the reason why the men were treated badly was not because of racism or bigotry, it was because the terrorists now are Arabic men.

What I said was that the actions of the passengers was understandable. There have been several high profile cases of Muslim bombers getting on planes, through all that security, and I think it is perfectly understandable that people would be jumpy about two men speaking in Arabic, moving around the plane and wearing seriously unseasonal clothes. It is suspicious behaviour, especially a week after a major terrorist plot.

In the current climate certain behaviour will attract suspicion, and that has got NOTHING to do with racism. If Arabic men keep trying to blow people up, people are going to be scared of Arabic men, its not rocket science.
  • Options
    There is a difference between Asian and Arabic. Which I'm sure you knew but the two aren't interchangable. Weren't all the guys arrested regarding the recent terror plot British Pakistanis (and one Brit convert?) Nothing to do with Arabic men. Pakistanis don't even speak Arabic.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    There is a difference between Asian and Arabic. Which I'm sure you knew but the two aren't interchangable. Weren't all the guys arrested regarding the recent terror plot British Pakistanis (and one Brit convert?) Nothing to do with Arabic men. Pakistanis don't even speak Arabic.

Pakistan is in the peculiar situation that it's an Islamic State. Other countries in Central Asia like India are not. It's not surprising you'll get some of these nutters from Pakistan. Most are Arabic though.