Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

do you get on with your in-laws?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well do you? it doesn't just apply to smug marrieds though, i also mean your boyfriend/girlfriend's parents and family. and vice versa!

me? i dont tbh. my boychum's mum is the most abbhorent, nasty, spiteful and horrid woman on the face of his earth. i pretend i like her to her face, for an easy life. my boy's parents are divorced, so i hardly see his dad, but him and his new wife aren't that nice either. not unpleasant, but very unemotional and distant. and boring. not my cup of tea.

all his aunties are a bit mad, churning out weans at 15, and getting restraining orders cos their mad partners try to strangle them, and things. oh, and they hate catholics. but theyre nice enough, throw a good party, and they like me, so hey!

my boy however, loves my mum and all my family to pieces. he doesnt really know my dad well, but my dad doesnt like anyone, even me really, so thats fine.

Comments

• Options
    They seem alright, although i cant understand a bloody word they say.
  • Options
    parlez-vous francais? clearly not, hahah.
  • Options
    exactement!!!
  • Options
    Mine are ok, I meet up with his Mum every now and again to have a natter and a catch up!!
  • Options
    i get along great with my girlfriends parents and her with mine. My grandma absolutely adores my gf though! which is nice :D
  • Options
    I don't have in-laws but I get along alright with my boyfriends parents. His dad is absoutly hilarous and when we come over for dinner he always makes sure I have a drink in my hand ;)

His mom gets on my nerves alot and very easily. She talks only of money. How much things cost, what she just bought and how much it cost, how much she spent doing this and that. Its all about money. She's nice, she just pisses me off very quickly with her stuck up snobbery ways.

She's been giving me jewlery alot lately though. Real nice stuff, but I don't wear jewlery... :p
  • Options
    I get along with them, but his Mum does my nut in. She likes to organise people and I dont like being organised by other people. Only yesterday she was telling me what she's planning on doing to our garden for next summer.

Over my dead body, or maybe hers, I could arrange that :chin:
  • Options
    hmm well one of my ex's parents both hated me but thats because they were two snobby cunts and probably didnt approve of me and where i was from

the other ex's ma was always lovely but her da was a grumpy aul cunt and barely looked at me the whole time i was going out with her.. probably due to the fact i was fucking his daughter and there was nothing he could do about it .. so its slightly understandable

but fuck em anyway, best thing i found to do was just smile and say hello and leave em to it.. i find it frustrating at times because my ma is really lovely and will go out of her way to be nice to any girl i bring home and make her feel welcome .. but then i just think im the lucky one for having such a nice mother :)
  • Options
    My boyfriend's mother is dead and his father is a devoted Jehova's Witness who lives in Sicily so for the most part I don't have to deal with this. He has made an odd appearance on the scene but I've already perfected ignoring him so it's all good.

My parents love him like one of their own; we were friends for years and my dear mother's always fancied him as a son-in-law. He didn't take that news too well, though, white as a sheet is a good description :p
  • Options
    I never used to get on with my mother-in-law, because she was very selfish and really very unkind to GWST. They get on a lot better since GWST moved out, and her mum has realised that I'm sticking around, and we do get on a lot better now. I get on with her dad, and actually worked for him for six months.

My mum is a mothery mother who just loves to mother people, and she really likes GWST.
  • Options
    My ex's mum was so cool, I totally think she fancied me as son-in-law material.

The first time I went round I was absolutely petrified because I'd never really done the whole "come round for Sunday lunch" thing, but she was just so lovely from the start, even though my then g/f sat there with her face tripping her half the time.

Even after we split up, her mam used to phone me ever so often to make sure I was doing OK :blush:
  • Options
    I never really met my exs parents, only his dad, and one set of aunt/uncle and cousins, I goto on okay with them but he had a funny relationship with his family. He only met my parents once while drunk before we where ever going out, therefore my dad hated his guts the entire time.

My brothers girlfriend is lovely though. She only a few months yonger then me and we like the same music etc so get on really well. My parents love her as well.
  • Options
    Yep and yep :)

His dad is really easy to get on with, and while his mum is sometimes hard work, she'll well meaning, and seems to like me! At first I think she had her reservations, cause she read my shyness as being a bit anti-social, but these days it's all gravy. If she rings for him and he's out, she'll quite happily natter away to me instead. Quite often when she rings for him and he's in she'll natter away to me!

My parents like him, but he's got a massive boost in the popularity stakes recently because my brother's formerly fairly normal girly has suddenly gone utterly mental, and in contrast my other half is a bit of a golden child!
  • Options
    I think my ex's parents preferred me if anything to him, which is cool when I still bump into her in town and stuff.

His mum was lovely and probably because she never had a daughter used to treat me like one, which wound him up a bit :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Nope. Don't get along one little bit. They are very different people and they have very strange ideas about things and make me feel very uneasy everytime they are round.

I think he gets on ok with my parents. He's never said otherwise.
  • Options
    I get along with the boyfriends parents alright, they seem to like me! I can talk to his mum a lot easier but that might just be a female thing. I practically live at their house so I suppose we've been thrown into it though :D

It's the same for my boyfriend as well really, my mum thinks he's brilliant and would gladly swop him for me at times, and he's got the lucky privledge that my Dad actually will speak to him (my Dad's not big on talking to people), and all my aunties, and cousins, and grandparents dote on him, always asking after him... Gah.

Just to finish, both of our familys get along as well, one big happy unit. Gah, like something out of a movie :rolleyes:
  • Options
    With my ex, I didnt get along with his family much. His family are just very different to mine. his mum means well but is so damn interfering - she would come to visit us and start asking me "why havent you done the dishes?, why dont you change the furntiture around?" etc etc, used to drive me up the wall. His dad means well too and was actually a nice guy but just really unreliable and would let my ex down a lot which annoyed me.
    My family didnt like him either, although they would never say so, they just stayed icily polite. This did start rifts though and I am still not really talking to my aunt & uncle because of the way they treated my ex the last time we saw them.
    I know it shouldnt matter what your family think if you love the person, but it does really kinda suck if your family doesnt approve of the person you are sharing your life with, or their family doesnt approve of you.

My new b/f & I havent met each other's parents yet... guess we've got all this to look forward to if it gets to that point (which might never happen since my parents are on the other side of the world) :p
  • Options
    I got on really well with JD's parents. They loved me ;d. Bought me an Easter egg before they'd even met me and stuffs :D. I loved his parents, they were great ;o.

My mum and dad were indifferent, I think, because neither of them were happy with us doing the sex and stuff, and I dunno. I think my mum kinda liked him, but I dunno. My dad was like "I'm reserving judgement".
  • Options
    i get on well with her father, her mother is a bit of a loon, but she knows that i think that.

she seems to get on well with my parents.
  • Options
    The issue I had with my most signifigant ex wasn't getting along with the parents (which we both did, famously) but the fact that our respective sets of parents HATED each other. That made for some fun times, I tell thee :razz:

I'm so happy not to have that problem now, stress levels down.
  • Options
    I get on fine with them, they are nice enough people but they aren't the kind of people I'd pick to talk to.

My Dad, his fiancee and my Mum all love my boyfriend, he likes them too.
  • Options
    ive only met his parents twice, well his mum and his step dad. My boyfriend hasn't seen his real dad since he was 5. They're ok, even though they're splitting up cause he's got himself into debt again by going behind her back and getting loads of credit cards. Anyways, i don't think i'll be seeing much of his step dad now as he's only really close to his mum.
    He gets on fine with my parents, they both like him so its all jolly good really.
  • Options
    i got along with (still do) my ex boyfriends parents really well. his mum seemed to take a real shine to me and she's always been real welcoming. same goes with his step-dad but my ex told me his mum really liked me. i only met his real dad a few times but i had the same affect on him! my ex told me the other day that his dad still gives him grief about splitting up with me and how stupid it was of him. we split up a year ago. love it! :D
  • Options
    I get on fine with my boyfriend's dad - he calls me Flower and everything! He's always happy to see me, whereas his mum is sometimes rather frosty and a bit unwelcoming. I mentioned it to my boyfriend and he said she just sometimes gets in a mood with everyone so I'm just included in that if I'm around at the time. She seems to have more and more of these moods lately - until roughly last Christmas (we've been together since June 2004) I would happily go round to his house when he wasn't in just for a chat and a cup of tea.

My boyfriend gets on well with my mum who is always very chatty with him. My dad is a bit of a funny one because he's rather stressed alot of the time and doesn't really have a lot of time for me, let alone my boyfriend, but when he's in the right mood they get on okay and usually find some recent sporting event to discuss in great technical detail! My boyfriend said he's stilla bit wary of my dad because he gets the impression that my dad doesn't think he's good enough for me, but I think he's just reading him wrong - my dad would marry me off to the first bloke going, he's not choosy!!
  • Options
    I :heart: my mother-in-law! I actually was friends with her before I even met her son and she was also my work supervisor for 5 months.

His Dad I don't see much as the bf doesn't see him much either. But his Dad looks a lot like my boyfriend and I can't help but find him at least a tiny bit sexy. Which just seems wrong.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    she seems to get on well with my parents.

I think that is a bit of an understatemend seeing as how she goes shopping with your mum!

My parents in law are lovely - if slightly mental but then my parents are a bit loony as well - though i sometimes get annoyed with them not communicating things directly to us - preffering instead to do it through my sister in law - who is my best friend so its fine as we talk every day and its normally over timings of things - like they will say one time to me and then i'll phone her up saying i'm coming over to get you at 12.30 and she'll go ohh didn't they tell you were not going round till 16.00 now - arrhghghghghghghghghgh. But obviously this isn't malicious or anything its just that we dont' ahve a clear line of communication.

I think my parents like my husband more than they like me - though my mother can be mean and bossy to him and scare him!
  • Options
    My mum and especially my little brothers all love my boyfriend (it's quite weird to think he's been in my youngest brother's life since he was about 18 months old, he's nearly 7 now) but they only really see him a few times a year (Christmas, easter, summer etc.) because they live in Bath. My Dad he sees even less often, but he seems to approve and they get on fine.

I get on really well with my 'mother-in-law' and his gran - just as well, seeing as I live with them!! I was really scared before I met his mum as it sounded like we would be - and we are - as different as chalk and cheese, but that hasn't really caused any problems. His Dad was ok to to me to my face, but apparently once said something really nasty about me (dunno what, don't want want to know), but luckily he's off the scene and as he's no longer part of my boyfriend's or his family's life, so I don't give a flying fuck what he thinks.

Oh, something quite amusing/sad in a twisted kind of way his Dad said to him once was, 'she's a bit young for you, isn't she?', when I was 19 and he was 22 or 23. At the time his Dad was haviing an affair with someone younger than my boyfriend....
  • Options
    Ive not met the parents, but ive met the grandparets. Id say we all get on ok, though sometimes his grandad annoys me. Never mind though, you cant have it all.

OH and my mum get on fine, had a few arguments in the past but it all got put behind them.
  • Options
    they are far from being in-laws, but they are really nice yes :) made me feel welcome and comfortable when i stayed over for a week.

Im glad, i'd hate to have that niggling feeling in my head of "oh i dont want to go over there because they are horrible"