Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UCAS points expiring?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My dad has recently left uni doing psychology at some rediculous level...and says my UCAS points I earned about 3 years ago will expire.

He says they 'have a shelf life of 3 years". That means I need to apply for this year and I don't know if I can handle it just yet. Talking about why I can't is a different matter entirely...I'm worried about my 280 points from college.

Now that's alot. I can pretty much get any course I wanted with those points but I'm shit scared they expire and amount to nothing. I can find nothing on google or here or even the UCAS website so it sounds like bollocks.

Any body know anything about this?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Points expiring sounds ridiculous to me. Its like saying that A levels are no longer a qualification after a few years.
    Renzo wrote:
    Points expiring sounds ridiculous to me. Its like saying that A levels are no longer a qualification after a few years.

Indeed. And if they 'expire', why does it ay (on UCAS) about A-Levels before 2001?:confused:
    Davy wrote:
    My dad has recently left uni doing psychology at some rediculous level...and says my UCAS points I earned about 3 years ago will expire.

He says they 'have a shelf life of 3 years". That means I need to apply for this year and I don't know if I can handle it just yet. Talking about why I can't is a different matter entirely...I'm worried about my 280 points from college.

Now that's alot. I can pretty much get any course I wanted with those points but I'm shit scared they expire and amount to nothing. I can find nothing on google or here or even the UCAS website so it sounds like bollocks.

Any body know anything about this?
    No they don't. Maybe your Dad is just trying to get you to apply to uni sooner rather than later as that's what he wants you to do!
    The new system of points was brought in as it would be easier to draw a finer line between a wider range of points, as opposed to the old system they had that was quite blunt

but saying ucas points expire is like saying just because you havnt had sex for a year, means you need to get a new licence from the home office because your sexual prowess has expired, or something like that
    A level module marks may expire, there's certainly something there in that I'm fairly sure you can't take one module, 4 years later take another two, and then in a further 5 years time take another 3 and then get an A level for them.

Assuming you have your A levels or GNVQs or whatever you happen to have and your just using those to translate your grades into UCAS points for the UCAS tariff then he's wrong.

UCAS points are purely a way to put all the qualifications onto one level, you never actually get them as such, no one will ever give you a certificate with 280 UCAS points on it (well I might if you ask me nicely), its just like a translation, so they will never expire. Relax and sort everything else out first, then worry about uni.