Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone else dissolved into floods of tears over absolutely nothing?

I did in truly embarrassing stylee on Saturday night at my boyfriend's little brother's wedding reception. It was quite late on, the part where everyone's dancing and I suddenly started blubbing without anything having set it off. My boyfriend's mum saw me and got my boyfriend to come over and comfort me. He took me to somewhere a bit quiet, was asking me what was wrong and obviously didn't believe a word of it when I said nothing and I hadn't a clue why I was crying and kept badgering me for a good while. I was all teary for ages and feel really guilty for having spoilt the latter part of the evening: after he saw me blubbing he later got really pissy with the guy who was at the drinks table saying the 'bar' was closed when he tried to reach over for a beer, which resulted in the guy attempting to rugby-tackle his other brother (this probably would have happened anyway, but Dunc probably wouldn't have got so confrontational if he wasn't worried/annoyed about my crying session and it gave the last bit of the reception a rather sour note) and when we were in the pub later he spent most of his time trying to cheer me up/feeling exasperated ('it used to be easier than this' - which of course set me off crying again!).

I've just no idea what it was all about: ok I was drunk, tired and had a cold coming on, but still doesn't really explain it and I feel really shit about spoiling the evening and if I carry on being such an over-emotional cow I'm in severe danger of losing this relationship.

Just a rant more than a question, but thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    i used to cry a lot because i just felt shit in general, then i got told i was depressed which im on medication for and now i feel like crying a lot....i just cant so its frustrating.

when i feel low, people ask me whats bothering me all i can say is i dont know....because i dont....then people dont understand me and think its strange.

best to monitor how you feel for the next couple of weeks
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    ok I was drunk, tired
    ususally when you're drunk and tired your emotions are over active.
    also, when you're really hungry that happens to... or does with me if i haven't eaten anything for a few days.
    if it were just a one off you should be fine. but if you cry all the time for no apparant reason then you should probably be concerned.
    don't worry about what happened re: your relatives, just put it behind you and move on.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    I've just no idea what it was all about: ok I was drunk, tired and had a cold coming on, but still doesn't really explain it and I feel really shit about spoiling the evening and if I carry on being such an over-emotional cow I'm in severe danger of losing this relationship

I think that explains it perfectly. I am exactly the same when I'm tired, drunk and feeling a bit poorly. Sometimes I just feel sorry for myself and need cuddles.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, it has happened to the best of us. Sometimes things just get on top of you and you need to cry to release the stress...

I'm sending big hugs anyway, hope you are feeling better now :)
  • Options
    i sometimes feel like i need a good cry about a week before my period.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I used to cry over nothing, but I'm getting quite philosphical about stuff that happens now, I'm a lucky boy because I don't have cancer and I'm not a single mum who cant afford to feed her kids, I'm not depressed and my body works fine etc.

Saying that, I had a massive tantrum in the middle of George Square on Saturday night because I wanted to go properly out, but everybody else wanted to go to a random party. I think people found it funny rather than ruining their night, tbh :(
  • Options
    I don't really cry that often, maybe twice a year but just recently (due to a new tablet) i've been really hormonal but at the wrong bloody times.
    I finished with my ex recently because i just didn't have feelings for him that much anymore but thought a great deal of him so felt really bad about having to do it. It ended up with me dumping him but it was me doing the crying. And i mean floods of while the poor lad stood there going "it's okay i'm fine i'm not upset" and looking completely baffled. :rolleyes: I mean how bloody dead 'ard is that.
    But yes i'm afraid that booze completely adds to the problem and makes our sensitive female hormones go wappy. Although a male friend i know always get's tearful when he's smashed, although it makes me giggle as he's a right big hairy arsed builder type. So when he's smashed, crying and going "i love you like a daughter/son" etc. to us all it's mildly amusing nowadays as we know it's just the drink.
  • Options
    I never used to, but in the last year or so, I've become a blubbering wreck. I still don't cry in public, but many a time I shed a tear or two (or a hundred) over pretty much nothing.

Like once there were no ice cubes and my drink hadn't been in the fridge so I had to have it warm. :eek2:

It's odd though, cause this is probably the happiest I've been in my life for ages and ages.
  • Options
    I started bawling last night watching reruns of desperate houswives. They were playing poker and I'm like, I want friends to play poker with. *tear* blubber bawl. I get that way the first couple days of my period.
    sophia wrote:
    Yes, every month. Especially if I've been drinking :razz:

And most definatly that too :p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I find I cry alot just before I'm on as well. And it's usually either over nothing or petty things. (ie, Thursday evening)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

Every bloody month, I spend several days walking around like a depressed hippo. I want to eat too much the week before a period. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

Yeah me too, and I tend to shout at people a bit more than usual.
  • Options
    Yep, it's hormonal I'm sure. The only time I actually cried about nothing AT ALL was when I was pregnant. It happened during every one of them. It took a while for Mr M to get used to it I tell you, especially since the look of mixed pity and disbelief on his face used to make me laugh like a drain at the same time.
  • Options
    yeah, I heard stuff like that happens to gals.

sissies.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    Oh me too, most certainly.

I once cried my eyes out because a teeny leaf got cut off from my jazmine plant as it got stuck in a window. True story. /A week before my period, that is to say. :/
  • Options
    yup, I've always been one to cry easily (especially before my period but any time really) and lately I have been even worse.
    I seem to cry when sad, when angry, when frustrated, when happy, anything and sometimes, like the OP, seemingly for no reason at all.
    One of my flatmates is the same though so we just turn into blubbering wrecks together, especially when watching tv or films - we even both cried watching Baywatch the other day :blush: (well, the little boy was about to die, and Mitch was just so upset! :p)
  • Options
    I've never been one to get weepy around my period, but I do sometimes get my angry pants on for a day or two :hyper:

I have ruined the odd special occasion by getting over-emotional but it's always a combination of being worn out from organising and stressing out about things and of course the demon drink!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one to make a twat of myself in this way.

I'm coming up to the end of my pill packet, so going to come on on sunday or monday, but the wedding was still a full week away from the start of my period and I don't think I tend to get PMT anyway, although it could have been the drinks, tiredness and random hormones doing random hormone shit.

I think the worst thing about it was that the last thing in the world I wanted was for people coming up to me about it, especially not the concerned and perplexed boyfriend, asking what was up, but there was nowhere to hide!

Also, because we were long distance before, for the first 3 years of the relationship me and my boyfriend always saw each other at our best and he never had to deal with any of my emotional outbursts, so I suppose the correct response to his 'it used to be easier than this' would have been, 'well, we did have quite an extended honeymoon period.....'
    kaffrin wrote:
    It's odd though, cause this is probably the happiest I've been in my life for ages and ages.

Same here. I've been living with my blokey for just over 2 years, and all has gone well, despite initial reservations about jumping straight from seeing each over every 3 weeks or so to being round each other 24/7. We're hoping to start flat hunting in about a year, when he finishes his training contract, I'm loving doing my PhD stuff, got a good bunch of people here and am feeling very optimistic about the future. so I haven't really got much to cry about :)