Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Could it be IBS?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I've been to the doctors several times and each time I get a different diagnosis :(. They dont seem to do any major tests, more guesswork actually.. i've had a blood test and they've "had a feel" of my stomach for (i'm guessing) abnormal lumps etc and thats it. The blood test was all clear btw (i'm not sure what they were testing for though).

My symptoms started in feburary during a chemistry experiment at college, although I suspect that (on looking into IBS) I might have had some symptoms before, but this is when I started to feel constantly sick.
I feel sick most of the time, I am constipated for days and then I get a bout of diarrhea, I sometimes get small "pellet" like stools (normally when constipated) and I dont feel finished when i've finished.. (sorry to put that image in your heads!). I do suffer with headaches (which before now I never thought about), and had a particular bad spell of headaches over christmas and stopped 2 weeks before the nausea started. (practically 24/7 headaches)... I saw the doctor about the headaches at the time, and he said it was due to stress (cause my Jan AS exams were approaching). Eventually the headaches just went, just in time for my exams! :). I also have "burping fits" where I can go for a while without a burp and then get into a loop of burping and have to force myself to stop.

To be fair to the doctors I havn't yet mentioned the stool problems, mainly cause I never thought much about it at the time, so I will mention this next time I go in. However i've had diagnosises from a Hernia to Indigestion without much actual testing, just based on the symptoms. I've been on loads of different tablets, none of which made a huge dent in how I feel (from Indgestion tablets to nausea supression tablets), and so i'm getting more and more depressed cause the constant nausea is terrible, and stressed out about what it could be... which could be causing a vicious loop if it is IBS.

I'm aware you cant "diagnose" me, but I just wanted to see if my symptoms are typical of other peeps with IBS and if theres a strong chance I have it (i'll worry about it less if I've got a better idea of what it could be). Obviously i'll be going to the doctors ASAP, probably tommorrow to hopefully sort this out once and for all!

Oh i'm 17 btw (turned 17 in march), aparrently it's common in teens?

Cheers all

Comments

• Options
    If we are talking about irritable bowels then many factors can contribute to it.

If you haven't already take a look at these links.

http://familydoctor.org/112.xml
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-13,GGLR:en&q=ibs
  • Options
    IBS is one of the most common GI complaints in general practise so it's not uncommon.

The official criteria (known as the Rome II criteria) are as follows -

1. Exclusion of structural or metabolic abnormalities which could explain the symptoms - i.e. lactose malabsorption, peptic ulcers, IBD.

2. Presence of a symptom cluster - for at least 12 weeks (not necessarily consecutive) in the past 12 months you must have had abdominal discomfort or pain that meets two of the following criteria
    a) is relieved by defaecation, and/or
    b) onset associated with change in frequency of stool, and/or
    c) onset associated with the appearance of stools.

Other symptoms that are common are bloating/abdominal distension, mucoid stools, abnormal stool passage (straining, urgency, feeling of incomplete evacuation), abnormal stool form, abnormal stool frequency (usually take to be either >3 movements/day or <3 movements/week)

If you can, note down the frequency, consistency and form of your bowel movements daily, it can be of some help in diagnosis.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago.

To me, what you're describing does sound like IBS - which is usually brought on by stress/anxiety. I know that my IBS goes mad around job hunting times/interviews and big events, so exams would definitely kick off IBS.

There are no 'diagnostic tests' for IBS - it's literally guesswork. There's no bloodtest to say yes, you've got IBS.
    From the sound of it, the symptoms you're describing do sound very much like Irritable Bowel.

I went to my doctors about it the first time round and suggested that I may have IBS (my mum is also diagnosed with it) I was diagnosed with it 10 minutes later. So book an appt and talk to your GP, and they'll more than likely diagnose you.
  • Options

I went to my doctors about it the first time round and suggested that I may have IBS (my mum is also diagnosed with it) I was diagnosed with it 10 minutes later. So book an appt and talk to your GP, and they'll more than likely diagnose you.

It's not hereditory (sp) is it? My mum has IBS, i don't really want to have it too, no offence.
  • Options
    It's not hereditary, but it apparently tends to run in families, if that makes sense?
  • Options
    Mine also runs in our family. I wasn't diagnosed until I have medical tests done, which weren't too pleasant- but it's worth it now it's on my medical record apparentely :)
  • Options
    Hey,

When I went to the docs today and told him all my bowel symptoms (combined with my nausea symptoms they already knew about) he suspected IBS... i'm on mebeverine and am due for some more blood tests in a few days... hopefully i'll start feeling better!
  • Options
    Diagnosing IBS is more about ruling out all the other, more serious diseases it could possibly be that finding definite proof that it is IBS. Depending on your symptoms, it's either dead easy to diagnose, or more a case of 'you've had every test in the book, found nowt, it's probably just IBS'.

I've had IBS about 15 years, been diagnosed just under 10, and as long as I have my pills (merbentyl/motilium/loperamide depending on what is ailing me) I do fine. imo, the worst part about having IBS is the embarrassment factor.
  • Options
    Definitely. I wouldn't even go to the doctor with my symptoms until the stomach cramps started disrupting my work one weekend. Not fun. I've had to try to cut down on lactose for a while to see if that relieves it.
  • Options
    What foods do you generally eat? Because as far as I know IBS is most likely to be caused by the terrible diets we have today. If you're a healthy eater then nevermind I don't know how else to help, but if you're not a healthy eater try changing your diet for a while and see if it changes anything. I mean go really healthy, cut out all junk, I'd bet good money you'll feed loads better.

Actually, to everyone here who has or thinks they have IBS, do you eat a healthy diet?
  • Options
    I eat healthily - home cooked foods that aren't packed full of fat, grilled and blanched food, not fried. 5 portions of fruit/veg a day and plenty of water. Of course, I do ocassionally eat some not so healthy foods but that's normal! lol. Oh, and I have IBS.
    It's more to do with stress with me, not diet.
  • Options
    Actually, to everyone here who has or thinks they have IBS, do you eat a healthy diet?

I personally have a godawful diet, and I think it definitely makes my symptoms worse. I'd like to eat better, but sadly I'm also lazy and difficult, which isn't ideal.