Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Two Men Chucked Off a Plane for Being Asian, Speaking Arabic and wearing Jackets

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    People should we able to use their brains and think of the laws of probability and sense of proportion.

Men keep trying to rape women. That does not mean any man will try to jump on them.

great point.
  • Options
    Violent militancy within the Muslim community isn't a phenomenon of the past few years, some self proclaimed Muslim leaders would have us believe it's merely a result of British and American foreign policy. Unfortunately for them some people's memory goes back as far as September, 11th 2001, the late 1980s to the Salman Rushdie affair and earlier.

It's a real tragedy that the silent majority of Muslims who don't preach hatred or plot mass murder, who don't despise Christians and Jews and who don't beat up their wives are having their reputation tarnished by an unfortunately sizeable minority of other Muslims. All of us know extremely decent Muslims, to think that a few of my friends while secular are getting tarred with the same brush as the extremists is sickening. I've been going to the same barber since I was a toddler, he's Moroccan and one of the nicest and most decent people around. It is tragic that Muslims who have been here for years and who love this country are feeling unwelcome. Muslims really have just as much as anyone else to lose from the fundamentalists. It seems to have been almost forgotten that the 7/7 terrorists targeted Edgware Road - nobody could ever say that they went out of their way to spare Muslims. For our security and safety and for the sake of the many decent Muslims we need to stand up to the extremists; so far the government hasn't really done that. We turn a blind eye to forced marriages, we tolerate the hateful preachers and the government cannot bring itself to condemn extreme elements within 'moderate' Muslim organisations like the Muslim Council of Britain, the Islamic Human Rights Commission and MPAC - genuinely progressive and moderate groups like the Sufi Muslim Council meanwhile barely get a look in. (But then many say we did a similar thing in NI, courting Sinn Fein and ignoring the SDLP).

Regarding these two people on the plane it's very sad but a witch hunt against the passengers is a bit simplistic. We need to look at the bigger picture, we need to reiterate that we're not at war with Islam itself - we need to strengthen our ties with Muslim allies abroad and support moderates here. Unfortunately - as the Respect Party, the Stop the War Coalition and Ken Livingstone show there's a lot of people that just don't get it and instead of isolating the extremists they give them a platform.
  • Options
    Violent militancy within the Muslim community isn't a phenomenon of the past few years, some self proclaimed Muslim leaders would have us believe it's merely a result of British and American foreign policy.

Isn't it? This may be news to you but Western-sponsored violent aggression against Muslim countries and regions isn't a phenomenon of the past few years either, US/UK foreign policy in general hasn't changed all that much in the last few decades it's just a lot less subtle.....
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    People should we able to use their brains and think of the laws of probability and sense of proportion.

Men keep trying to rape women. That does not mean any man will try to jump on them.
    Ask any woman in the world if she feels comfortable walking through a poorly lit area late at night when there's a guy she doesn't know walking towards her.

He's probably just going to carry on, but what if he doesn't..?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ask any woman in the world if she feels comfortable walking through a poorly lit area late at night when there's a guy she doesn't know walking towards her.

Not really getting that point...you may not feel overjoyed about it, but you wouldn't run up to him spraying pepper spray in his face and call 999 just because he happened to be a man, would you?
  • Options
    It's a valid point. Irrespective of how I may or may not react, if he were following me, or crossed the road to be on the same side of the street as me, then I can't actually say that I wouldn't kick him in the nuts and run for my life. Even if he weren't going to do anything to me.

The whole thing is that not all men rape women, but women are still uncomfortable around men when they are vunerable and alone.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's a valid point. Irrespective of how I may or may not react, if he were following me, or crossed the road to be on the same side of the street as me, then I can't actually say that I wouldn't kick him in the nuts and run for my life. Even if he weren't going to do anything to me.

The whole thing is that not all men rape women, but women are still uncomfortable around men when they are vunerable and alone.

But that comparison doesnt work, because that man walking towards you didnt just go through really tight security, then have loads of people around him watching.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

There's a difference between feeling uncomfortable, and presuming someone is a rapist because they happen to be walking down the road. Some people need to get a grip (not meaning you particularly), but this is all somehow drifting away from the point of the thread.

You'd kick a guy in the nuts for walking down the road?
    :eek:

And personally, I don't consider myself to be vulnerable and alone if I happen to be walking home/somewhere at night, and don't presume men are going to follow/rape me. But thanks for speaking for all women.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    But that comparison doesnt work, because that man walking towards you didnt just go through really tight security, then have loads of people around him watching.
    I'm not saying that these guys were treated well. Just that it's understandable to look at some asian guy and feel a bit nervous when you're about to board a plane. Having them removed was clearly rubbish.

ETA: It was a figure of speech PussyKatty. I'm glad you feel so confident on your own, congratulations
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

ETA: It was a figure of speech PussyKatty. I'm glad you feel so confident on your own, congratulations

:lol: Patronising so and so.
  • Options
    What and you think you're not, to turn around and suggest that there's somehow something wrong with me, or my friends because we and even our male mates don't want to walk home alone after a night at the union?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm not saying that these guys were treated well. Just that it's understandable to look at some asian guy and feel a bit nervous when you're about to board a plane.
    I don't think it's understandable at all actually. It's on a par with a black person entering a shop and the shopkeeper automatically assuming the black person is going to nick something.

Sad stereotyping and media induced hysteria leading to prejudice and bigotry IMO.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What and you think you're not, to turn around and suggest that there's somehow something wrong with me, or my friends because we and even our male mates don't want to walk home alone after a night at the union?

I'm not saying that, I just said you can't speak for all women in the world.

I always thought you were a man for some reason.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't think it's understandable at all actually. It's on a par with a black person entering a shop and the shopkeeper automatically assuming the black person is going to nick something.

Sad stereotyping and media induced hysteria leading to prejudice and bigotry IMO.

You know, understandable does not always equate to excusable.

You've also brought in another comparison, one that is even less relevant, but hey, shop-keepers already ban groups of school kids from shops because they cause trouble.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

No, its the same as a black man walking into a shop and the shop keeper forcing him to leave, then empty all his pockets and bags and go through two days of questioning about why he wanted to enter the shop.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I always thought you were a man for some reason.

I get that a lot, I don't really know why though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I have great sympathy with the two men, but perhaps if their community did something about the murderers it harbours we wouldn't be in the situation.

people are scared of asian men because asian men keep trying to murder them.
    Totally agree! And if we have to stand up to terroism, why cant everyone else to?
    The question is why won't the muslim community do it? Are they really true believers of extremism or they scared?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Totally agree! And if we have to stand up to terroism, why cant everyone else to?
    The question is why won't the muslim community do it? Are they really true believers of extremism or they scared?

If the person living next to you was making a bomb, would you know?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    If the person living next to you was making a bomb, would you know?
    the likely hood would be no
  • Options
    Why doesn't the white christian majority (i.e. most of us) stand up to animal rights terrorists? Or thieves? Or burglars? Or muggers? Or murderers? Or crime bosses? Or drug dealers?

They're part of our community. We ought to know what they're up to, right?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

To go totally off topic I was always taught as a chap if I'm either walking behind or towards a woman on her own when its dark to cross to the other side of the road
  • Options
    then you are a gentleman sir
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why doesn't the white christian majority (i.e. most of us) stand up to animal rights terrorists? Or thieves? Or burglars? Or muggers? Or murderers? Or crime bosses? Or drug dealers?

I see your point but maybe people with power over the masses should stand up and be counted.

Now I agree that religion benefits millions of people but I'm starting to feel like just banning the lot of it. It's not gona happen and if it did people would have faith in their own way. But a few generations down the line, religion could be non existant. I've always believed religion is great for their followers but lately, i've been feeling slight anger over extremists. That's how I feel right now and it's not fair on innocent religous people. But it's also not fair for people that have to put up with religious nuts, being scared and the risks of attacks.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Most of us do and most of us condemn them. Unfortunately there's always a few leaders in the majority community who say 'well its kinda wrong, but well its excusable because they believe in the cause/they were oppressed' etc, etc.

Every time there was a loyalist murder I fully expected the leaders in my community to condemn in utterly - not say it was wrong, but you've to understand that the Protestants have been having a hard time from the IRA recently.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The jumping on the bandwagon syndrome perhaps?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Except these white animal rights terrorists, crime bosses and drug dealers you speak of don't all go to the same Church along with the decent law-abiding white Christian majority. Er hardly any of this white Christian majority even attend Church. In case of the Muslim community mosque attendance is a much higher percentage. Indeed, a lot of the extremists and moderates attend the same mosques. The Muslim community is nowhere near as ignorant of extremism as 'community leaders' repeatedly claim although I think there is a fear on part of the many decent moderates to speak out.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    To go totally off topic I was always taught as a chap if I'm either walking behind or towards a woman on her own when its dark to cross to the other side of the road
    I'll look out for the guys tht dont move!
    But seriously, u never know whn it could happen. I was mugged by 3 people last year and the shock of it happening was intense. It's wasn't down some dark alley, it was on a main road and the sun was just setting. You really never know. And now I never walk in risky places to try and reduce the risk but you cant avoid everywhere, when you just dont know where it could happen.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why doesn't the white christian majority (i.e. most of us) stand up to animal rights terrorists?
    I happen to be in favour of these, to me animals mean so much more to me than people. But let's not go there right now.
  • Options
    Forget about crime statistics

if you are a victim of crime, then the statistics are 100% for you
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I see your point but maybe people with power over the masses should stand up and be counted.

Now I agree that religion benefits millions of people but I'm starting to feel like just banning the lot of it. It's not gona happen and if it did people would have faith in their own way. But a few generations down the line, religion could be non existant. I've always believed religion is great for their followers but lately, i've been feeling slight anger over extremists. That's how I feel right now and it's not fair on innocent religous people. But it's also not fair for people that have to put up with religious nuts, being scared and the risks of attacks.

If you banned religion it wouldn't go away. It's human nature to believe in a higher power.