Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

disabled living allowence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does this benefit go down when you get a job?

Comments

• Options
    Well I thought the idea of that benefit was to aid you as you are too unwell to get a job. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Instead, you could just check on the DSS website.

ETA - my Dad has this benefit and I had to help him fill in all the forms - it's all about how far you can walk, what you can pick up, how much can you carry, how many stairs can you climb, etc etc... so I reckon your benefit would stop, yes.

Surely if you are looking for a job though, you're well enough to have that benefit stop? I mean, you would be earning a wage...
  • Options
    incapacity benefits as far as I'm aware apply to you whilst you are too unwell to work. however, there are other benefits if you have a disability that don't get 'cancelled' by getting a job. it gets quite complicated thogh :confused: best to call the citizens advice bureau, or something. IIRC when my dad had cancer we had three or four different 'packages' coming in, ridiculously confusing.
  • Options
    Dont get me started on incapacity benefits...load of shit.
    I broke my jaw in 3 place IN THEIR FUCKING BUILDING! and yet they still managed to mess me about and not give me a penny until i was well enough to work again :mad:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Dont get me started on incapacity benefits...load of shit.
    I broke my jaw in 3 place IN THEIR FUCKING BUILDING! and yet they still managed to mess me about and not give me a penny until i was well enough to work again :mad:

That seems very wrong.
    ETA - my Dad has this benefit and I had to help him fill in all the forms - it's all about how far you can walk, what you can pick up, how much can you carry, how many stairs can you climb, etc etc... so I reckon your benefit would stop, yes.

Does this not depend on what the person's disability is though? My brother gets disability benifit, but can do all these things. (He has a mental problem, basically)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Does this not depend on what the person's disability is though? My brother gets disability benifit, but can do all these things. (He has a mental problem, basically)

Hmm. Good point. :thumb:

But still, if he's (The OP) well enough to consider working surely he doesnt need the benefit?
  • Options
  • Options
    Hmm. Good point. :thumb:

But still, if he's (The OP) well enough to consider working surely he doesnt need the benefit?

That's what I thought.
  • Options
    Looky Here :thumb:
  • Options
    DLA isn't reduced when you get a job. If you are over 25 and working 30 plus hours a week, depending on your wages you might also qualify for the disability element of working tax credit.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    That's what I thought.

What if you're working but can't walk? Motability means you get a special car where all the controls are on the steering wheel and such.
  • Options
    What if you're working but can't walk? Motability means you get a special car where all the controls are on the steering wheel and such.

I think the OP mentioned a while back that he has mental problems?
  • Options
    yeh i get DLA for mental illness. which is worse than you think. i feel really awful and it shows. it's fair compensation which the tax paying public should meet for being so cruel to me in the street.
  • Options
    it's fair compensation which the tax paying public should meet for being so cruel to me in the street.
    wtf? whats this all about then?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    wtf? whats this all about then?

Just what I thought. What a wanker.
  • Options
    it's fair compensation which the tax paying public should meet for being so cruel to me in the street.

So because certain members of the public are cruel to you, you think that DLA is compensation that tax payers have to give to you?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So because certain members of the public are cruel to you, you think that DLA is compensation that tax payers have to give to you?:rolleyes:

Maybe we should have

GLA Gay Living Allowance - for peeps called queer and ****** by the public.

BLA Birthmark Living Allowance - because peeps stare at you in the street.

HCSLA Hidden Camera Show Living Allowance - because a tv company has made you look a twit in public.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    ooooo you can't say ****** :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    ooooo you can't say ****** :)

What is it you're trying to say?
  • Options
    the longer version of fag :D
  • Options
    does this benefit go down when you get a job?
    Do you mean when you set up the e factory? :chin:
  • Options
    Once again we see who the narrow petty minded arseholes are on here. Well done guys, you've surpassed yourselves this time. babyshambler, Sofie and RubberSkin - tossers the lot of you. You should be ashamed of yourselves. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    tbh. Im surprised at rubberskin
  • Options
    tbh. Im surprised at rubberskin

What ?

He's (Sovereign) being a twit. You get DLA for help with personal care/ mobility. It's not some kind of 'compensation' for people being shitty to you because they're so intolerent.
  • Options
    no, but i think he was just commenting on how he feels sometimes. Its obviously not the real reson he gets DLA.
  • Options
    Ah my bad then. But i've got to admit that after his 'I think i've got AIDS' post he was being a tad sarky !
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Once again we see who the narrow petty minded arseholes are on here. Well done guys, you've surpassed yourselves this time. babyshambler, Sofie and RubberSkin - tossers the lot of you. You should be ashamed of yourselves. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nope, I'm not ashamed. Why should I be?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    What ?

He's (Sovereign) being a twit. You get DLA for help with personal care/ mobility. It's not some kind of 'compensation' for people being shitty to you because they're so intolerent.

Exactly. And all he seems to be worried about is losing his precious DLA.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    and?

Wouldnt you be worried if you thought you might lose a huge chunk of money you were entitled to?

What do you think he should be worried about instead?
  • Options
    Nope, I'm not ashamed. Why should I be?

Because you're doing what you did on the last thread where The Sovereign asked for advice - being a narrow minded prejudiced arsehole.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

All heart you aincha?