Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Heart rate monitors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I heard the heart rate monitors that you wear around your chest are the best. I borrowed one from a friend of the mans and want to buy my own now.

But I've a couple questions. Is the chest strap the best option?
Also, does anybody know any good brands? I like being cheap, but for reasons, I need a decent one. Any help would be extremly appreciated for many reasons.

Polar is a big name it seems, its what they sell at my gym and I'm on amazon now and see some, I can't spend the $100 and more they want (literally) does cheap mean bad? Theres a POlar one for only $33. Is it faulty?
THanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heart rate monitors can go anywhere. They usually are clipped to the end of your finger, but the wrist ones work as well.

Cheap doesn't mean bad. In personal experience it usually means they will last longer with nothing wrong with them.
    I ment ones for working out, I dont really want to be dragging a machine with things stuck to myself whilst on the treadmill :p

Thank you :)

I bought it earlier today, it says it has a 2 year warrenty so I thought what the hell.

How acurate are the chest strap ones would you say?
    my_name wrote:
    I ment ones for working out, I dont really want to be dragging a machine with things stuck to myself whilst on the treadmill :p

I bought it earlier today, it says it has a 2 year warrenty so I thought what the hell.

I would say there all as accurate as each other.
    So it will probabl read no different than the monitors on the treadmills? Well thats pointless then :( I was always told those were crap, as were the watches. I just wanted an acurate reading. Oh well. thank you.
    my_name wrote:
    So it will probabl read no different than the monitors on the treadmills? Well thats pointless then :( I was always told those were crap, as were the watches. I just wanted an acurate reading. Oh well. thank you.
    The thing with the treadmill is that you usually have to hold the handle bars, which can be abit awkward. Meh, I've wasted my money on worse things. :thumb:
    I've had Polar HRM's for the last 7 years, I hate exercising without wearing one now..
    Quick question, I got it, yay. But it told me to keep away from things giving off some magneticelectromagicvodoowaves or something. Something with interfearing with the transmittor from the boob belt to the watch or something.

Is the monitors or anything on the treadmill or any other electric cardio gym equipment thing going to interfear with it?

I don't make one ounce of sense in this post so kudos to anybody who can understand what I'm asking.
    my_name wrote:
    Quick question, I got it, yay. But it told me to keep away from things giving off some magneticelectromagicvodoowaves or something. Something with interfearing with the transmittor from the boob belt to the watch or something.

Is the monitors or anything on the treadmill or any other electric cardio gym equipment thing going to interfear with it?

I don't make one ounce of sense in this post so kudos to anybody who can understand what I'm asking.
    That applies to magnetic fields. If you wear a magnetic braclet like I do, then take it off when using the HRM.
    So the metal plate in my head... :p
    I'm gonna go try it out later today for the first time, how exciting.
    my_name wrote:

The Polar ones that connect wirelessly to gym equipment aren't a big "machine", its simply a bit of plastic that you put around your chest. Once you put it on under your shirt you can't even tell its there.
    Polar are what a lot of my more professional sporting mates use. it's handy because you can run anywhere and keep an eye on things. You don't have to be in the gym
    The Polar ones that connect wirelessly to gym equipment aren't a big "machine", its simply a bit of plastic that you put around your chest. Once you put it on under your shirt you can't even tell its there.

:confused: Yeah, I wouldn't have bought it if I thought it would be uncomfortable.

I didn't get a chance to use it yesterday though :( The sadness.
    Actually they're not all that bad, and IIRC you can adjust them so they're comfortable for you.
    The treadmill interfeared with it. Without touching the sensors on the treadmill it brought up a "heart rate" the wrist watch, if any farther away then the censors were, also went wacky. I don't exercise anywhere but the gym. Kinda shitty. Oh well. We all make bad purchases.
    Its cool...apart from when i ride my bike i don't excersise anywhere except for the gym either...so i just always try and make the most of it when i go :P
    Its not that cool. I wasted money :(
    They should have been more clear saying not to use them whilst on a machine that can do your heart rate.
    Make out you bought it for a family member, & you forgot that your not allowed to use it with a pace maker & refund it.