Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

English AS/A

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm thinking about taking English Language & Literature in September at AS/A Level. Would this be classed as 2 AS/A's, or just 1?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If it's double award (which is what you're basically asking) it's normally in 2 blocks.
  • Options
    If the course title is English Language & Literature, it'll just be one AS/A, the combined course.
  • Options
    It's just one qualification- i know cos i just did it. All i'll say is if you want to do it cos you enjoyed GCSE english, don't bloody do it.
    A xxx
  • Options
    At our college it was a joint qualification, but they stopped doing it the year i started lower sixth. Apparantly in was more about the language in literature, so basically english lit, rather than a block of each. I ended up doing english language, but I might take up lit as an AS in the second year to get a bit of both.
  • Options
    just do straight literature, it's a legend of a course!

everyone i know who did it hated it...and it's just the one, as far as i know.
  • Options
    It's just one, I don't recommend it. It's far better to do the single courses and get 2 A levels for it.
  • Options
    at my college it was called english combined... :p
  • Options
    It's just one, I don't recommend it. It's far better to do the single courses and get 2 A levels for it.

I think a lot of places would rather you didn't do that though. I did A Level combined and AS Language, and was told over and over to be sure I wanted to do it, because universities wouldn't regard it as a seperate qualification. Maybe that's just because it was combined and language though?

It's a hell of a lot of English if you do Language and Literature seperately though, I wouldn't think it'd lend itself to a 'well-rounded' set of A Levels.
  • Options
    Do they really have to be "well-rounded", though?

Ultimately I don't see the difference between someone doing DOuble ENglish and (say) someone with a talent for Languages doing both French and German.

Best advice to anyone IMHO is to do what they enjoy and are good at.

And presumably they'd be able to pick a contrasting third subject if they felt the need to.