Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

baby's rights versus women's rights..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am completely pro-choice, and as go_away said, for whatever reason it may be.
    Interesting aspect when discussing this issue though, is what is the father's say in such a situation? Should he get a say? That's much more interesting in my opinion.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Some individuals are pro-choice but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) outwardly supporting abortion results in excommunication.

It probably does, a lot of things resuly in excommunication, catholics are a bit odd IMO
  • Options
    is what is the father's say in such a situation? Should he get a say?

In an ideal world where relationships are ideal, the partner would be informed and fully supportive. Sadly, this isn't the case. Allowing men the right to know of their partner's abortion would put the most vulnerable minorities at risk, and would then bring about issues such as cases where there is more than one suspected father, or the man who raped a woman and got her pregnant etc.
  • Options
    The father would ideally have a say - but never the final say - in my view.

It's not ideal, but then it's just not possible to fulfill two people's wishes if those wishes are conflicting, and the very bottom line is that the female is the one who is pregnant.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    catholics are a bit odd IMO

Not really, Catholics have their own ideas on how people should live their lives. Catholics don't believe in sleeping about, they don't believe in sex before marriage. Their stance against abortion is in relation to how married couples should live and isn't odd IMO.
  • Options
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Allowing men the right to know of their partner's abortion would put the most vulnerable minorities at risk, and would then bring about issues such as cases where there is more than one suspected father, or the man who raped a woman and got her pregnant etc.

Excellent point :yes:
  • Options
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Aren't we going round in circles here?

Only because you lot keep asking the same questions.:banghead:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Not really, Catholics have their own ideas on how people should live their lives. Catholics don't believe in sleeping about, they don't believe in sex before marriage. Their stance against abortion is in relation to how married couples should live and isn't odd IMO.
    I meant in terms of catholic dogma. Next to none of it is even biblical. That's not really on topic though.

go_away, I'm interested in persuing the discussion on male rights with you. While I can see what you're saying, it's fair to say that the issue is the result of 50/50 deposit (as it were) so shouldn't there be a 50/50 division in decision rights?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Only because you lot keep asking the same questions.:banghead:
    only because you just dont seem to quite grasp what people are saying!
    No offence
  • Options
    While I can see what you're saying, it's fair to say that the issue is the result of 50/50 deposit (as it were) so shouldn't there be a 50/50 division in decision rights?

No, because the gestation is occuring in the woman's body, not the man's. If men could get pregnant, and carry pregnancies to term, the decision between gestation or termination would lie with them.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I meant in terms of catholic dogma. Next to none of it is even biblical. That's not really on topic though.

Erm, of course, Catholics believe in the Bible plus dogma whereas Protestants are usually Ecclesiastic.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Erm, of course, Catholics believe in the Bible plus dogma whereas Protestants are usually Ecclesiastic.
    Despite the fact it says at the end of revelation that anyone that adds or takes away will be punished for his crimes? And that catholic dogma is occasionally in complete opposition to the bible?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I know what I said about signing out, but I can't let that one go.

It's not exactly a 50/50 division of labour is it?
    Well, the rasing of the child would be, at least that's how most families work, so all you're really talking about is the 9months between conception and labour, in which only 2 or 3 of them can really affect the woman's mobility and activity.
  • Options
    You haven't answered any of them properly yet :)

I am trying to do that, but all I get from you lot is more questions or criticism.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:

Exactly
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

go_away, I'm interested in persuing the discussion on male rights with you. While I can see what you're saying, it's fair to say that the issue is the result of 50/50 deposit (as it were) so shouldn't there be a 50/50 division in decision rights?
    because how can there be?
    you cant half go through with it and half not.
    In a good relationship, people will talk about what theyd do should an unwanted pregnancy arise, or what would happen if they found out their baby was disabled, and come to a decision between them before the event even happened. Having said that, sometimes there are disagreements and the two dont agree, but when it boils down to it, its got to be the choice of the woman because shes the one gestating it. Its a bit of a shitter for a guy if he really wanted to be a dad and the woman doesnt want the baby, theres no denying that, and in some cases obviously the woman will have the baby anyway, but you cant make that law, its unethical.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, the rasing of the child would be, at least that's how most families work, so all you're really talking about is the 9months between conception and labour, in which only 2 or 3 of them can really affect the woman's mobility and activity.

Every trimester of pregnancy can affect the woman's life in different ways, not just mobility and activity.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:

and everything else that comes with pregnancy. (during & after)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    which 2 or 3 are they?
  • Options
    The later two or three, where the bump is essentially getting in the way, at least that was what I was driving at.

After birth, it's a split responsiblity, at least, it would be if the father wanted a child so much no?

ETA: Basically, what I'm driving at is how is it fair that the father's wishes be ignored, even if he actually wants a child and is 50% responsible for it's potential existance.
  • Options
    It's not just the physical side of a bump getting in the way though.
    Basically, what I'm driving at is how is it fair that the father's wishes be ignored, even if he actually wants a child and is 50% responsible for it's potential existance

I don't think anyone said it was fair. But life ain't fair. If I knew a guy was strongly against abortion, then I wouldn't have sex with him. I don't see how any of that justifies making a woman carry to term against her will, even if the guy was prepared to raise it, make financial contributions etc.

To be honest, especially from what I see in the clinic, most men who wouldn't want their partner to abort aren't informed of that decision.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Despite the fact it says at the end of revelation that anyone that adds or takes away will be punished for his crimes?

:confused:

What the hell has that got to do with anything? The Catholic Church didn't add or take away from it, they wrote their own writings according to their dogma but that has nothing to do with the Bible. Why exactly should it matter if some of their teachings are contradictory to the Bible? The don't proclaim to be based soley on the Bible so it doesn't matter, if people choose to follow them and their beliefs on abortion and whatever then it's none of your business.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    To be honest, especially from what I see in the clinic, most men who wouldn't want their partner to abort aren't informed of that decision.

I think you're probably right, seems like there's not really a lot to discuss here. Though I do think it's a shame that women will be commited enough to a relationship to sleep with a guy, but not honest enough to tell him they're pregnant and are getting an abortion, and will continue to see said guy without saying anything.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The later two or three, where the bump is essentially getting in the way, at least that was what I was driving at.
    No, pregnancy is much harder than that for most people. 90% of people suffer sickness for the first few months and some for the entire 40 weeks which is bad enough (it really is - 3 or 4 months of constant nausea isnt easy), some to the extent where they cant even keep fluids down and have to be admitted to hospital to be kept on a drip. My cousin had this (hyperemesis gravidarium) with both pregnancies, and a friend of mine also had it recently and was so ill, apparently she even considered terminating because she felt she just couldnt cope anymore. Its not that uncommon, nor is pubis symphysis, incredible pelvic pain throughout pregnancy where the pubic bone starts to seperate. I know several people who this has happened to, one ended up in a wheelchair for the last few months, and one it didnt go away after the birth. I know someone else who tore vagina to anus in childbirth.
    People sometimes think that pregnancy and childbirth is just a walk in the park. Get pregnant - no worries, breeze along, get a bit fat, out pops baby, and if you dont fancy it, just give it to someone else.

Im afraid it doesnt work like that.
  • Options
    It really depends on the circumstances. Some women I've seen are in what are outwardly happy relationships, but only stay because of existing children, and accidentally fall pregnant. Or their relationships are violent, and they're in the process of going into refuges for women. One lady didn't tell her boyfriend because his previous partner had a termination, which destroyed him, and she didn't want to put him through that again. And sometimes, humans being human, the woman might not know if the partner is the person who fathered the pregnancy. I could go on, but there wouldn't be enough room on here, because day in, day out, it really varies.