Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting Fit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi Everyone

This is my first post so 'Yo' to you all :)

I'm pretty unfit, and have started jogging with a mate who's in the same state I'm in. Around 10 - 15mins is the most we can manage so far lol, then we briskly walk for around 3 miles. Does anyone have any good tips for warming up, the running/jogging itself, and then cooling down? Would 3 or 4 times a week suffice to see some kind of improvement? I'm just trying to get a bit fitter so I don't make such of an ass of myself when I get to the gym!

Cheers
Dave
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hughesy wrote:
    Hi Everyone

I'm pretty unfit, and have started jogging with a mate who's in the same state I'm in. Around 10 - 15mins is the most we can manage so far lol, then we briskly walk for around 3 miles. Does anyone have any good tips for warming up, the running/jogging itself, and then cooling down? Would 3 or 4 times a week suffice to see some kind of improvement? I'm just trying to get a bit fitter so I don't make such of an ass of myself when I get to the gym!

Cheers
    Dave

Yo!

I am a little baffled, why do you think people go to the gym?
    :)
    I dunno? To waste money? To pose? To get expert advice and equipment? various reasons isn't it?

I think it's perfectly reaonable to want ot make a little headway yourself before going to a gym... isn't it?
    katralla wrote:
    I dunno? To waste money? To pose? To get expert advice and equipment? various reasons isn't it?

I think it's perfectly reaonable to want ot make a little headway yourself before going to a gym... isn't it?

You are of course entitled to think that....as far as you know that you are wrong...:razz:

Seriously, people embarrased by their fitness level have no place in a gym... The gym is there for you to improve your fitness, maintain it, feel better about yourself, relax, meet new people, etc...

If you are making headway without the gym, what the hell do you need the gym for anyway - it would be a waste of $$$$$...
    My step-mother always does a bit of cleaning before her cleaner arrives so she doesn't embarass herself with her dirty house. Her friends do the same.

I tidy up my nails before getting a manicure.

Plenty of people lose a bit of weight at home before joining weight watchers.

No fitness advice from me but just trying point out that this is an okay question :)
    Guess I've been programmed differently...
    migpilot wrote:
    Yo!

I am a little baffled, why do you think people go to the gym?

Im with you on this, he might as well join a gym straight away. The instructors there will tell him whats best to do and how to use his time effectively. Your not going to embarrass yourself, its likely that other members will be in the same sitution as yourself
    Working Out
    Hughesy wrote:
    Hi Everyone

Cheers
    Dave

:wave: My First message on this website!:wave:

I'd suggest taking a slow walk for about a mile to start with and do this 2-3 times a week. Gradualy begin to jog when you feel comfortable and stick to the same legnth - 1 mile. Keep a time check on how your doing and slowly build up that way. Warm ups would be your typical tendents/joint movement and stretches. I'd also suggest not over doing it or pushing yourself untill your ready. A typical 1 mile jog should take no more than 15 minutes if your fit and healthy.

:yippe:
    Fameosity wrote:
    A typical 1 mile jog should take no more than 15 minutes if your fit and healthy.

:yippe:

I can walk a mile in that time, let alone jog! I used to walk to work (3.75 miles) and it took me 50mins. Thanks for the advice though :)

As for the the other posters about why I don't join a gym in the first place:- fair enough point! I'm just different I suppose, I don't want to go there and embarrass myself. I know that's what gyms are for etc, but I suppose that's just the way I am :)

Dave
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    If you keep up the 15 mins of jogging a couple times a week, you will find yourself gradually jogging for a bit longer each week. Keep this up until you can feel yourself starting to get more fit. When you feel more confident i suggest you join a gym. Don't forget to eat right or you are not going to get anywhere fast!
    In warming up before jogging, I find that a 5 minute walk around the block first, followed by ballistic stretching more beneficial than static stretching.

Also bear in mind now that new studies have shown that static stretching can actually weaken & decrease the muscle strength when performed before an activity.

Or if your like me & hate aerobics, just join a gym & do loads of deadlifts & squats. :)
    Before I run in the morning I warm up by walking about a mile down the road.
    HIT - Ballistics are not stretching and are not a warm-up. Either you're doing it wrong, or you're getting it confused with dynamic stretching. As for the static/dynamic debate it depends on who you are, there isn't any proof either way. I can see the benefits of both.

To the OP, it's simple enough mate, jog a short distance to get your heart and lungs going, you should be looking to speed up towards the end perhaps sprint the last 50-100m, then stretch, bottom to top. Do your set, as a warm-down you should start off at a reasonable pace then be looking to slow down, walking at the end an lengthening your stride, almost to a lunch. Stretch but don't pull has hard into is as you would for the warmup.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    HIT - Ballistics are not stretching and are not a warm-up. Either you're doing it wrong, or you're getting it confused with dynamic stretching. As for the static/dynamic debate it depends on who you are, there isn't any proof either way. I can see the benefits of both.

To the OP, it's simple enough mate, jog a short distance to get your heart and lungs going, you should be looking to speed up towards the end perhaps sprint the last 50-100m, then stretch, bottom to top. Do your set, as a warm-down you should start off at a reasonable pace then be looking to slow down, walking at the end an lengthening your stride, almost to a lunch. Stretch but don't pull has hard into is as you would for the warmup.
    Yeah I did get it mixed up. I was having a convo on another forum about ballistics. :(

Also there is proof that static stretching can weaken the muscle. There is no benefits in a weakened muscle, but post excersise static stretching can increase recovery. :)
    There are studies, but nothing conclusive. You're talking to a loughborough uni student athlete, we know all about sport.

Dynamics are certainly a lot more fun though.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There are studies, but nothing conclusive. You're talking to a loughborough uni student athlete, we know all about sport.

Dynamics are certainly a lot more fun though.
    Your talking to a personal trainer, we know alot about sport as well. :)
    I still think loughborough wins.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I still think loughborough wins.
    :crying:
    HIT wrote:
    Yeah I did get it mixed up. I was having a convo on another forum about ballistics. :(

Also there is proof that static stretching can weaken the muscle. There is no benefits in a weakened muscle, but post excersise static stretching can increase recovery. :)

Agree with this. Dynamic stretch in warm-up, static stretch post-excercise. I personally find that cold stick stretching pulls on mi ligaments- not a good thing...

The OP and other fitness newbies might not actually know what static/dynamic stretches are, especially if they've not been for exercise classes/ gym instruction... video links might be helpfull.
    that's where gym's come in handy, you can get the help you need there in person
    i am one of those fitness newbies whats dynamic stretching and static streteching??
    Think, why don't you go through this stuff with your coach and your team (especially considering your thread about rugby)
    because i wont see them untill sunday and just was interested i probably do it but just call it stretching
    Can't you wait til sunday? It just seems weird, you've got actual real people to help you out, why are you asking us?
    i was just wondering and why wait till sunday when i can find out now i didnt know it would be a problem and itd help anyone else out who didnt know
    Well, it's just from your other thread. You're asking us about pre-season fitness. When really truely you need to talk to your coach or personal trainer. Plenty of us on here know a bit here and there, some of us are even experts in some areas, but without knowing you, or your team or whatever we're no good to you

Dynamic and static is really fairly obvious, static is stationary, dynamic is moving. Anything further than that is a little hard to explain without a demonstration, hense talk to your coach.
    ooo ok thanks for that i new what static was but didnt understand dynamic i do both in training and can think of a few exampls cheer's mate
    As I said before, it is better to do dynamics before hand, but what I have been doing post workout is extreme static stretching.
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

Finding it heavy going at the moment, I can run farther on some days than I can on others. Think my problem is just pushing myself and going for it.
    Fameosity wrote:
    A typical 1 mile jog should take no more than 15 minutes if your fit and healthy.

hmmm it takes me 15 minutes to jog 2 miles
    to warm down i stretch normally for longer then i run - leg muscles, maybe do some press ups/sit-ups before, to warm up, walking, little stretch, light jogging and steadily get faster