Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

baby's rights versus women's rights..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    So, if you were a doctor, you'd let a woman have countless abortions because she decided that she didn't want the child?

Would you force her to go through with the pregnancy and give birth to a child she does not want?
    Would you force her to go through with the pregnancy and give birth to a child she does not want?

Why shoul;d a woman have an abortion just because she decides that she doesn't want the child?
    \
    Sofie wrote:
    Why shoul;d a woman have an abortion just because she decides that she doesn't want the child?

I suppose it all depends on when you class a foetus as being a 'child'. I think that forcing a woman to go through a pregnancy which is unwanted and give birth to an unwanted child will be extremely damaging to both parties.
    Contrary to popular belief, women don't tend to get abortions because they suddenly decide to, on a whim. If the woman thought that it was her best option then I would be satisfied with that.

I agree completely.
    \
    Sofie wrote:
    So, if you were a doctor, you'd let a woman have countless abortions because she decided that she didn't want the child?

Yes, why should the doctor make a moral decision?
    Yes, why should the doctor make a moral decision?

So, you think it's right to abort a baby because a woman didn't use contreception? (or however it's spelt)
    \
    Sofie wrote:
    So, you think it's right to abort a baby because a woman didn't use contreception? (or however it's spelt)
    The woman could have been raped, drunk and forgot. Plenty of circumstances as to why she didn't. Though if the same woman came back numerous times I'd tell her to wise up and use protection.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Sorry Fiend, I don't totally understand your point which is my own fault for being sarcastic in the post you quoted, would you mind clarifying it for me? Ta.

I meant that you said that because some poor woman's contraception failed (or not perhaps) they should be forced to have the child, you implied that this would be some sort of punishment. At which point you wreck the woman's life for forcing her to be a mum, and the child's life for forcing them to be brought up by someone who could very well resent their existance. What kind of child would you expect to result when they are denied a mothers love, because their mother never wanted them.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    The woman could have been raped, drunk and forgot. Plenty of circumstances as to why she didn't. Though if the same woman came back numerous times I'd tell her to wise up and use protection.

Did you ever read the post where I said that I'm in favour of abortion if the woman was raped?
    \
    I apologize if I've started a discussion that's been had before but I've never come across a discussion on these issues on thesite and I'm very curious to hear what people think.

Where have you been?! :D

I'm pro-choice, I work for an abortion provider (lovely 7 hour shift today) and if I qualify as an OB/GYN, I'll perform abortions one day. I support the UK's legal limit of abortion, and will happily defend it as I see these women day in and day out. I support a woman's right to abortion for whatever reason, however 'silly' it might seem to someone else.

70,000 women die each year because they do not have access to safe, legal abortion. So the term pro-'life' to me is a misnomer.
    Sofie wrote:
    Did you ever read the post where I said that I'm in favour of abortion if the woman was raped?

Obviously not. I have a habit or just going into debates where it's just been laid off.
    \

Why? A foetus conceived in rape is just as 'innocent' as one that was conceived between two consenting adults? Why is it ok to abort one and not the other purely due to the circumstances that took place at conception?
    go_away wrote:
    Why? A foetus conceived in rape is just as 'innocent' as one that was conceived between two consenting adults? Why is it ok to abort one and not the other purely due to the circumstances that took place at conception?

So you'd tell your child that their father raped you?
    Sofie wrote:

Absolutely.

Exactly how many unwanted, neglected children would be roaming the streets of your hometown today if abortions were not available to women who have unprotected sex. Would you actually get behind the idea of distinguishing between women who didn't use contraception and those who used contraceptive methods that failed? Because I suspect with your train of thought that you would, and that is preposterous.

On another note: It is obviously, obviously less than ideal for a woman to be having a large number of abortions (not to mention any potential risk to her own well-being) or even using them *gasp* as a method of contraception, but I would give any woman a hundred no-questions-asked abortions before forcing her (literally or simply in terms of undue pressure) to have one single, solitary child that she did not wish to carry for 9 months and give birth to. Not one.
    \
    Please don't avoid my questions by asking more questions.
    \
    Personally. I wouldn't have an abortion for anything other than it would certainly result in my death (and maybe not even then) or that it would result is a seriously non-existant quality of life for the child. Not even if I were raped. Why would I punish a child for something that someone else did?

I can completely understand why a woman would want to get an abortion following a rape, i understand abortions in the case of risk to mother or disability/deformity in the child. I find it extremely difficult to understand abortions for any other reason, because you can always put a healthy child up for adoption, someone will have it, because someone out there wants it, though I have a lot of sympathy for the woman who's contraception has failed. I cannot understand at all those few women who use abortion as contraception.

This is my view-point, any questions?
    I find it extremely difficult to understand abortions for any other reason, because you can always put a healthy child up for adoption, someone will have it, because someone out there wants it, though I have a lot of sympathy for the woman who's contraception has failed.

I think it's because you yourself can't imagine doing it, so you've slided to not being able to imagine other women doing so, therefore, why should they be allowed to do it? Yes, there is adoption, but that requires a woman to carry the pregnancy to term, and give birth - neither of which are risk free, and require an awful lot of the woman's mental and physical stability in order to result in a safe, healthy delivery - imagine doing that when your circumstances say otherwise. Also, it's not up to women with unplanned, unwanted pregnancies to provide children for those who can't biologically have them.
    I cannot understand at all those few women who use abortion as contraception.

Do you know any?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I cannot understand at all those few women who use abortion as contraception.

I would just LOVE to know if you (or anyone else for that matter) know anyone or have friends of friends of grandma's dog that have actually copped to this. But then I suspect that having more abortions than fingers you have on one hand is an admission of this without any really personal perception of abortion as a contraception.

I know it's a slightly different issue, but I always wonder where the people who condemn abortion as contraception (and therefore must be behind some kind of tally system... three strikes and you've got no chance, love) stand on the MAP.
    briggi wrote:
    I know it's a slightly different issue, but I always wonder where the people who condemn abortion as contraception (and therefore must be behind some kind of tally system... three strikes and you've got no chance, love) stand on the MAP.

I know Catholics believe that the moment the sperm hits the egg then that's the start so are against it.
    briggi wrote:
    I would just LOVE to know if you (or anyone else for that matter) know anyone or have friends of friends of grandma's dog that have actually copped to this.

I have no personal experience of this, but wanted to make sure I had it covered.

As for the MAP, I'm not sure, because it's more a just in case thing. It's used to prevent pregnancy, not necessarily to terminate it, because you use it before you know one way or the other.
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I know Catholics believe that the moment the sperm hits the egg then that's the start so are against it.

Some individuals are pro-choice but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) outwardly supporting abortion results in excommunication.