Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

screwed by SAAS. is this right??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
got my award notice in this morning from SAAS (folk that pay my fees and loan, dunno if its the same south of the border) and basically my student loan has been slashed by £1000. which has me fucked.

the amount ive been awarded works out to around £25 a week, yet my travel expenses per day are alomst £20 themselves.

i phoned SAAS up, and the guy said "oh yes, we usually give you less money in your final year". and that was it. is this correct? im really really upset and angry, and this doesnt seem like a sufficient reason tbh. why would they cut your money in your final year, when you have a dissertation and final exams (plus i have placements) to worry about?? money should be the least of my concerns, now i have to worry about how i can afford to actually get to uni.

so is it true? do they just generally give you less money in 4th year??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    yeh you get a smaller loan in your final year.

they seem to think that because we finish in may/june, we won't be paying summer rent like we might've done the previous years.

eta: you're paying £20 a day in travel expenses? would it not be cheaper to live in student accommodation?!
  • Options
    yep. they do give you less in your final year... and yep. it is tough going - you NEED a pt job! they cut it because your university tells them you have less study weeks in your final year than other years, and that is usually the case.
  • Options
    they seem to think that because we finish in may/june, we won't be paying summer rent like we might've done the previous years.
    they don't account for summer. your loan is supposed to cover you term time only.
    summer... is the time when you go out, get a job, work shit hours for shit money just to have a roof over your head......... or you go home to your folks like many students do where everything is free and money probably isn't an issue :p