Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

baby's rights versus women's rights..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    I know, what I'm trying to say is, if it's wrong to murder unborn babies, then why does it make it acceptable to if the mother had no choice? Then it must be misogyny pure and simple, because we think women should be made to suffer the consequences of their sluttish behaviour.

I'm not 100% sure I'd phrase it like that - but yes, to a certain extent that's the crux of the argument.

No matter how you dress, flirt, etc it is never a woman's fault if she's raped.

But to have voluntary sex she has consented and she's not blameless if that results in pregnancy (neither's the man to be fair) and the argument would be that she as one of agreeing parties has to suffer the consequences, rather than the foetus which had no choice in the matter.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    But still though! How does any of this make a difference to whether or not it is morally acceptable to abort the foetus?

I assume that its the best of two bad moral choices - so its not morally acceptable, but its less morally inacceptable.

That prob doesn't make sense does it :(
  • Options
    just because you wouldn't have an abortion personally, doesn't mean you have to inflict that decision upon someone else

How the frig am I doing that?:confused:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    no woman should be entitled to an abortion.

Not saying that and I certainly don't mean it. (might be implying it though) However, like someone else said (in this thread I think) I don't think that abortion should be used as birth control.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    However, like someone else said (in this thread I think) I don't think that abortion should be used as birth control.

I think alot of people would be in agreement with you on that, but I'm not sure how much that actually happens in reality anyway.
  • Options
    I think alot of people would be in agreement with you on that, but I'm not sure how much that actually happens in reality anyway.
    Yeah I wonder that too. You always hear third hand accounts... someone who a friend knows this girl who kept having abortions... I don't think it's a common occurrence by any means.
  • Options
    no it's not but some peopl have a relaxed attitude towards it. Some girls think, there's always abortion if I do get pregnant.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Not saying that and I certainly don't mean it. (might be implying it though) However, like someone else said (in this thread I think) I don't think that abortion should be used as birth control.

.. which, when you look at the "exclusions" you gave is the only time you don't accpt the right of choice.

So why not? Why is it morally wrong to abort becuase you don't want the child (and possibly should have taken precautions) but not when the baby may have a "defect", or your life may be in danger?

Aren't you, in effect, arguing that the woman should be "punished" for not using contraception whilst the male partner gets off scot free?

And do you accept that the upshot of this would be "backstreet" abortions, or doctors claiming that a defect/risks exists because they don't agree withthe law which would be in place?
  • Options
    Are some posters claiming they draw no distinction between a woman choosing to have an abortion after falling pregnant as a result of being raped, and a woman making the same choice after not bothering to use protection?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Are some posters claiming they draw no distinction between a woman choosing to have an abortion after falling pregnant as a result of being raped, and a woman making the same choice after not bothering to use protection?

Yep. Is that wrong then?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    NOTE: I'm not expressing my personal views in this post, only trying to explain what others are saying.

Sofie, imagine this hypothetical conversation:
    Q1: Why do you want to abort?
    A1: Because I don't want the baby.
    Q2: Why don't you want the baby?
    A2: Because it's a result of my getting raped.

In this post:
    Sofie wrote:
    Not too sure I agree with being able to abort a baby if a woman doesn't want it. However, I understand why some people have said this. There are only 3 reasons why I'd abort a baby and not wanting it isn't one of them.
    you're saying that: if the answer to Question 1 is "I don't want the baby" then it's not an acceptable reason for you, regardless of what the answer to Question 2 is.

In this post:
    Sofie wrote:
    Not too sure really.

Anyway, the 3 reasons are:
    - Rape
    - If my life was to be put in some sort of danger (whether this is during or after the pregnancy)
    - If the baby's life was in danger or they had a severe disability which meant that they wouldn't have a decent quality of life
    you're saying that "I don't want the baby" is an acceptable answer to Question 1, if the answer to Question 2 is "Because it's a result of my getting raped."

That's all the others are saying; that rape as a reason to abort is only a subcategory of not wanting the baby; and as you said that the latter isn't an acceptable reason for you, this is a logical contrast.
  • Options
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    No no no Sophia, the solution to other presumptuous young girls thinking of having sex is to humiliate them at the Nurse's appointment for a repeat pill prescription :impissed:
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well as I said, that'll teach the dirty whore to keep her legs shut, won't it? And let that be a lesson to other presumptuous young girls thinking of having sex.
    And what about the rights of the baby in all of this? You wreck two lives in one go, congratulations for having a complete lack of fore-thought.
  • Options
    So why not? Why is it morally wrong to abort becuase you don't want the child (and possibly should have taken precautions) but not when the baby may have a "defect", or your life may be in danger?

Depends what the defect is. If it's something which can be operated on, then I think it would be wrong to have an abortion.
    Aren't you, in effect, arguing that the woman should be "punished" for not using contraception whilst the male partner gets off scot free?

How did you reach that conclusion?:confused:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
  • Options
    Why should you give up your dreams and ambitions in order to devote your life to endless hospital appointments, stress, probable strain on your relationship...? Serious question.

It would depend what the defect is. Like I said, if it was something that the child was born with, but if they had some operations and didn't have to have endless hospital appointments, then I wouldn't abort my child.

However, if it was something serious that will stop then from having a decent quality of life and they had to have endless hospital appoitments, then I may consider having an abortion.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Depends what the defect is. If it's something which can be operated on, then I think it would be wrong to have an abortion.

Why only those which can be operated on?
    What "defect"would you deem acceptable to abort?
    How did you reach that conclusion?:confused:

Because you are arguing that the femal concerned should have to go through pregnancy (with all the vomiting, piles, stretchmarks etc), the give birth (which is life threatening, but also with the c-section/tearing/forceps/blood loss etc), so that she could give birth to a child which she didn't want in the first place. Doing that to someone, against their will, could be construed as torture.

All the while, bloke-who-shagged-her, can carry on with his life as normal.
  • Options
    Why only those which can be operated on?
    What "defect"would you deem acceptable to abort?

Anything which could put the child's life in danger or means that the child won't have a decent quality of life. Can't think of anything right now though.
    Because you are arguing that the femal concerned should have to go through pregnancy (with all the vomiting, piles, stretchmarks etc), the give birth (which is life threatening, but also with the c-section/tearing/forceps/blood loss etc), so that she could give birth to a child which she didn't want in the first place. Doing that to someone, against their will, could be construed as torture.

All the while, bloke-who-shagged-her, can carry on with his life as normal.

So you're saying that if a woman becomes pregnant and decides that she didn't want the baby, she could just abort it?:confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So you're saying that if a woman becomes pregnant and decides that she didn't want the baby, she could just abort it?:confused:

Yes as long as it is within the legal time frame.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Anything which could put the child's life in danger or means that the child won't have a decent quality of life. Can't think of anything right now though.

Define "quality of life"- isn't that subjective? It could be argued that a hare-lip can affect quality of life (even though in many cases an operation helps), what about Downs?

Yep.
  • Options
    I'll give you an example then. My sister has a very serious congenital heart defect which she has had many operations on. She has nearly died on numerous occasions. She will have to take medication for the rest of her life. My mother has not gone back to work since my sister was born (16 years ago) and spends her time being a chauffeur to and from school, hospitals, GP, ad nauseum. It has significantly impacted on the family finances, and my parents nearly split up under the immense stress of thinking their child was going to die at any moment.

Despite all of this she has a wonderful quality of life. She goes skiing, she goes out, she does everything you'd expect a normal 16 year old to do.

Would my mother have been justified in aborting her?

If she thought it was best for her child. When it comes to defects, I think it should be up to the parents to decide what they think is best for the child.
    Why not?

So, if you were a doctor, you'd let a woman have countless abortions because she decided that she didn't want the child?