Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Would you share a room?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was just wondering, would you share a room at University, whether it is with a friend or stranger, and why you would or would not.

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I always thought there's no way I'd do it, but I visited a mate of mine at Leeds who'd got a shared room with a stranger, and it really didn't seem that bad.

Obviously I'd much rather have my own room, I think anyone would, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to share. It's cheaper, anyway.
  • Options
    Absolutely not. Sharing a house is one thing, but sharing your only room with a stranger?

We all need our space. :)
  • Options
    I think I'd rather have my room. It means that I can do what I want when I want, within reason of course.
  • Options
    with a friend who i knew well - probably.
    i'd prefer my own room but if it was someone i knew really well, i doubt it'd bother me. but sharing a room with a stranger - no way!
    some uni students do have to tho' when they get assigned their rooms in halls.
  • Options
    I wouldn't share a room with a stranger because I'd need my own space and I'd probably find it akward at first. It'd be nice to have somewhere to be on your own. However, some people might like the company. It all depends on how good you are with other people or if you prefer to keep yourself to yourself I guess. You'd have to get on with them though!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nah I wouldn't.

Although people I know say it wasn't too bad.
  • Options
    i wouldn't.

i like my own space and what if i want someone to stay over?!
  • Options
    Sharing a room with a friend - maybe. Sharing it with a total stranger - absolutely not. Aside from the privacy issues it raises, I wouldn't want everything I did in there to be watched by someone else.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wouldn't want everything I did in there to be watched by someone else.
    sex raises some tricky issues if you are sharing :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    sex raises some tricky issues if you are sharing :p
    I wasn't necessarily talking about sex, but now that you mention it... imagine two blokes sharing a room. (in a pub, that would be a pre-meditator to countless jokes in itself) One's a mad party-animal, the other is a shy, hard-worker who never goes out. The party-animal wants to bring a girl he's pulled back to his flat for a bit of nookie. Potentially awkward, unless the girl fancies being watched. :p
  • Options
    I did i n my first year at Durham, and I wouldn't recommend it. There's no privacy, although my room was better than most shared rooms because at least it was divided into two bits. It was a one-bedroomed grad flat converted by putting two beds in it, he had the bedroom part (and had privacy) and I had the living room bit (and didn't).

I wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it, but sometimes there is advantages. I had an en-suite, for instance. And it didn't stop us having sex- we just stopped whilst the roomy went into his bit and hid.
  • Options
    i wouldnt want to but my mate at leeds uni did for her first year and she said it was fine. guess it depends who you get put with really.
  • Options
    Absolutely not. I'm the most selfish person in the world and wouldn't dream of sharing my space with a complete stranger. Ewww.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    No, I'd just annoy them coming back at all hours, making noise plus you want to have some secrecy when getting it on with the ladies.
  • Options
    I shared with a stranger. I was lucky, she was lovely and neither of us were having sex, but it was fine for me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And it didn't stop us having sex- we just stopped whilst the roomy went into his bit and hid.

:lol: that sounds hilarious!

I would never, ever do it. You've got to have your priorities in order and I need privacy to get it on (my main priority, always).

On the flip-side, I wouldn't really want to be privy to my roommate's nocturnal activities either to be honest... unless we both had hot partners and arranged mini-swinging nights :chin: :naughty:
  • Options
    No way. Enduring people's noise when they live in other rooms is bad enough.
  • Options
    im a privacy freak id go mad. my bros gf shared with the head of the christian union at exeter in her first year. apparently she wasnt a good christian :lol:
  • Options
    No way. Not for any longer than about a month anyway. I went away for a month last summer, teaching English, and the accommodation there was shared rooms. I shared with a stranger and she was lovely; but it was basically like a month long holiday so we didn't really need any time alone, we were out drinking every night. I couldnt even share a room with my best friend for longer than a month. I neeeeed space! And i'm intolerant of other people's little habits. And I'm grumpy!
  • Options
    I was actually originally going to do this. A friend of mine from my college class had applied to the same course at the same uni. We're both on the same wavelength & into the same sort of stuff, so sharing would have been OK. And we worked out we could save a considerable amount by sharing. But she has ended up deferring her place for a year or 2 & I don't wanna share with some stranger. Partly because unless I got lucky & found someone with similar warped tastes & interests then we'd be guaranteed to drive each other up the wall. Also I don't trust people easily - it's one thing to share space with a friend who I know, but totally different to share with a new person with no chance to get to know them before we get thrown together.

As far as privacy is concerned though it wouldn't bother me - I have pretty much no shame & precious little modesty either. I share a very small house with thin walls with 2 guys, & we all leave our doors open all the time. And before that I lived with my family. So I'm used to sharing a crowded space with various people, & so long as I have a little corner to curl up in that is my own, I'm happy.
  • Options
    There's no way in Hell i'd do it...in high school i went to boarding school and had to share a room with anywhere from 2 -> 50 people and have plenty of horror stories from it. University though has been really good to me...at my uni everyone got their own room.
  • Options
    Im surprised at how many people have said absolutely not. where I live, 90% of college students share rooms.
    are you in the states or somewhere?
    i guess... english people like their privacy ;)